[comp.text.tex] Request help with mf, gftopk

ken@csis.dit.csiro.au (Ken Yap) (04/08/91)

>Last things first; creating a whole rasterized metafont in a nice
>selection of sizes can take literal days; I ran mine overnight to get
>just a few sets of fonts built. You _really_, _really_ don't won't this
>overhead in your printing loop, which is why TeX/Metafont users have
>megabytes of already rasterized fonts online and ready to use. Metafont
>makes lovely fonts, but it makes a snail look turbocharged.

Yes, running MF to make fonts is slow, especially if you don't have a
workstation, but many DVI to foo converters have scripts that will run
MF on the fly and *thereafter the filter uses the newly made pk file*.
So if the users are happy to wait a little while on their first print
run, you're ok. Otherwise, the installer should run a bunch of
documents through the system (you don't actually have to print the
documents, just redirect the PDL output to /dev/null) to make the most
commonly occuring fonts.

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.231813.10310@csis.dit.csiro.au>, ken@csis.dit.csiro.au (Ken Yap) writes:
>>Last things first; creating a whole rasterized metafont in a nice
>>selection of sizes can take literal days; I ran mine overnight to get
>>just a few sets of fonts built. You _really_, _really_ don't won't this
>>overhead in your printing loop, which is why TeX/Metafont users have
>>megabytes of already rasterized fonts online and ready to use. Metafont
>>makes lovely fonts, but it makes a snail look turbocharged.

> Yes, running MF to make fonts is slow, especially if you don't have a
> workstation, but many DVI to foo converters have scripts that will run
> MF on the fly and *thereafter the filter uses the newly made pk file*.
> So if the users are happy to wait a little while on their first print
> run, you're ok. Otherwise, the installer should run a bunch of
> documents through the system (you don't actually have to print the
> documents, just redirect the PDL output to /dev/null) to make the most
> commonly occuring fonts.

It's not too bad on my 25mhz 386 messy dos box.

I do strongly recommend the approach of only generating fonts as
they're needed. If you primarily use LaTeX and are willing to
assume that few documents will load fonts (which is not that
unreasonable of an assumption) a fairly small archive can be
created. For an in-house pc TeX distribution I did recently, I
created a font set containing all the fonts referred to in
fontdef.ori (M&S font selection ymir.claremont.edu
[anonymous.tex.inputs.latex-contrib]), all the CM fonts at
magstep0, all the preloaded magnifications of plain.tex and all
the actually defined fonts of plain.tex at magsteps 0, half, 1
throught 5. The whole thing lharc'd was almost small enough to
fit on a single 1.4M floppy (six archives of 300-359K each).
Unpacked it took around 2.5M. My personal system currently has a
mere 815K of fonts in 143 files which has covered a very large
variety of documents.

Incidentally, this approach also makes it practical to do things
like arbitrary scaling of MF-based fonts (I'm currently making
Kanji fonts with the jemtx package (see ymir.claremont.edu
[anonymous.tex.babel.japanese]) at sizes from 6 to 10pt with
1/30pt intervals as necessary in an application where text must
be fit into an arbitrarily sized region (bottle labels).

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu