[comp.text.tex] Problem centering Postscript graph on page

rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) (04/03/91)

I have some Postscript graphs, in landscape mode, generated using Quattro Pro.
I want to have them vertically centered on the output page, and to accomplish
this, I tried the command:

\vfill
\centerline{\psfig{figure=...,height=8in}}
\vfill\eject

The graph appears the correct size, but at the top of the
page, rather than centered.  Any suggestions?  (I'm using DVIPS 5.4 on a
VAX/VMS)

By the way, I tried leaving a blank line after the first \vfill and before
the second \vfill. LATEX was happy, DVIPS was happy, but when I sent the
.PS file to the printer, it aborted with an unknown command "restore".
What is causing this?

Thanks

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr3.071428.28423@leland.Stanford.EDU>
rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) writes:

> I have some Postscript graphs, in landscape mode, generated using Quattro Pro.
> I want to have them vertically centered on the output page, and to accomplish
> this, I tried the command:
>
> \vfill
> \centerline{\psfig{figure=...,height=8in}}
> \vfill\eject

Glue is ignored after page breaks. You need to make sure there is something
non-discardable at the top of the page before the glue:

> \vbox{}\vfill
> \centerline{\psfig{figure=...,height=8in}}
> \vfill\eject

Jeremy

|  Jeremy Gibbons (jg@uk.ac.oxford.prg)   Funky Monkey Multimedia Corp  |