[comp.text.tex] dvijep and landscape printing

n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (04/05/91)

Hi,

I'm using dvijep on an MS-DOS system with an HP IIp, with the printer
set to landscape mode.

I've reset \hsize and \vsize in TeX to reflect the landscape page dimensions,
and it handles this fine, but when I convert my .DVI files to printer output
files, dvijep still thinks the page is 8.5 in wide.  Thus all output is
truncated on the right.  (I know that TeX is not cutting the pages off
because they are intact when I use a .DVI viewer.  Also the printer is
not cutting them off.)

Is there anything I can do to make dvijep think the page is 11 x 8.5 instead
of the other way around?  The doc file tells how to reset the location
where the material on the page will be placed, but unfortunately makes no
mention of a way to adjust the page dimensions.

Alternatively, is there another program like dvijep available which
can handle variable sized pages, preferably one which uses the same
directory structure for fonts (or a landscape version of dvijep for the pc?)

Thanks for your help,

Kris.
--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (04/05/91)

The page size maximum is hardwired in during compilation of
dvijep in the version I have, 2.10??.
  Try dvilj from simtel20 msdos.tex for a driver with
a landscape option. I've heard the source there is right and
the executable screwed up for that file.
Clarence Wilkerson

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.083125.11130@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu>, n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) writes:
> I'm using dvijep on an MS-DOS system with an HP IIp, with the printer
> set to landscape mode.

The Beebe drivers all have 8.5x11 Portrait hard-wired into them.
Other options for DVI to Laserjet under MSDOS include the
following (please send any corrections/updates to me for
inclusion in TUGboat)

-dh

 HP Laserjet Plus, Series II, IIP, IID, III, 2000
 >Little Computers
  (IBM PC)
   ArborText Inc., TeX Users Group
    DVIlaser/HP
     Uses GF, PK, and PXL fonts. Allows inclusion of graphics, landscape
     printing and use of printer resident and HP soft fonts.
     Cost: $225. Site licenses available. Academic discounts available.

   Aston, FTP-rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de, FTP-terminator.cc.umich.edu,
   FTP-uk.ac.aston.tex, Radel
    DVIHPLJ (by Eberhard Mattes)
     Uses PK or PXL files. Supports VF files and graphics inclusion.

   FTP-science.utah.edu, FTP-ymir.claremont.edu, Radel, Personal TeX
    DVIJEP (by Nelson H.F. Beebe)
     Uses GF, PK or PXL files. Written in C. Source is included. Graphics
     inclusion specials are available are available on request.

   FTP-ymir.claremont.edu
    DVIJE2
     Uses GF, PK or PXL files. Written in C. A modified version of DVIJEP
     by Nelson Beebe optimized for the LaserJet Series II.

   LaserPrint

   Micro Publishing Systems, Incorporated
    TeXprint/HP
     Uses GF, PK, and PXL fonts. Allows inclusion of graphics, landscape
     printing, collating, odd or even page selection, reverse order printing,
     and direct printing to the printer. Also included is a translation utility
     for HP soft fonts.
     Cost: $189. $150 for governmental and educational institutions.

   Neumann,FTP-uk.aston.ac.uk
    DVI2XX (by Gustav Neumann)
     Uses PK or PXL files. Written in C. Source is included. Supports
     odd and even-only page printing (for two-run duplex). Graphics
     inclusions is also supported.

   Personal TeX
    PTI Laser/HP
     Allows automatic font substitution, landscape printing, and inclusion of
     graphics.
     Cost: $195.

   XOrbit

Arbortext, Inc.
 Contact: Sales Department
 Postal Address: 535 W. William Street
                 Suite 300
                 Ann Arbor, MI 48103
 Internet: sales@arbortext.com
 Phone: (313) 996-3566

Aston
  Contact: Peter Abbott
  JANET: abbottp@uk.ac.aston
  Postal Address: Computing Service
                  Aston Triangle
                  Birmingham B4 7ET
  Notes: A complete copy of the Aston archive is available in VMS BACKUP
         format on two 2400' tapes at 6250bpi. To receive it send two
         blank tapes and return postage.
         The Unix TeX distribution may also be obtained in exchange for
         one 2400' tape and return postage.

FTP-rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
 Files: Eberhard Mattes' drivers are distributed with emTeX in soft/tex/emtex

FTP-science.utah.edu
 Contact: Nelson H.F. Beebe
 Phone: (801) 581-5254
 Internet: Beebe@Science.Utah.EDU
 Files: APS:<TEX.PUBLIC.DVI...>*.* (Beebe drivers and documentation)

FTP-terminator.cc.umich.edu
 Files: The Atari ST DeskJet driver is in /atari/tex.
        Eberhard Mattes' drivers are distributed with the emTeX package in
        msdos/text-mgmt/TeX/emtex
FTP-uk.ac.aston.tex
 Contact: Peter Abbott
 JANET: abbottp@uk.ac.aston
 NIFTP: Use Username PUBLIC, Password PUBLIC
 Notes: Accessible to JANET users only.
        Gustav Neumann's DVI2XX is available in [TEX-ARCHIVE.DRIVERS.NUEMANN]
        as NEUMANN.BOO
        Nelson Beebe's drivers are in [TEX-ARCHIVE.DRIVERS.BEEBE].
        For information on Mail access send a mail message with 3 lines
        containing (1) three hyphens, (2) your return mail address, and
        (3) the word HELP, to texserver@uk.ac.aston.

FTP-wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

FTP-ymir.claremont.edu
 Contact: Don Hosek
 Internet: dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
 Bitnet: dhosek@hmcvax.bitnet
 Notes: Get the file [anonymous.tex]00readme.txt before attempting to retrieve
        files. Text files from this site are also available by requesting
        files from mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu. Send the command help to that
        address for more details.
 Files: [anonymous.tex.drivers.beebe2_10...] contains the Beebe drivers.
        [anonymous.tex.drivers.beebe_extensions] contains extensions to the
            Beebe driver family.
        [anonymous.tex.drivers.

Kinch Computing
 Postal Address: 501 South Meadow Street
                 Ithaca, NY 14850
 Phone: 607-273-0222
 FAX: 607-273-0484

LaserPrint
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 35,
                 D-6101 Fr\"ankisch Crumbach, Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: +49 6164 4044

Neumann
 Contact: Gustav Neumann
 Bitnet: Neumann@Awiwuw11

Oxford [2]
 Contact: Dr. P.S. Aspinwall
 Postal Address: Oxford University Department of Theoretical Physics
                 Keble Road
                 Oxford, OX1
                 UNITED KINGDOM
 Phone: 44-865-273954
 Internet: aspin@vax.oxford.ac.uk
 Janet: aspin@uk.ac.oxford.vax

Personal TeX
 Contact: Lance Carnes
 Postal Address: 12 Madrona Street
                 Mill Valley, CA 94941
 Phone: (415) 388-8853
 Telex: 510-601-0672

Philips Kommunikations Industrie AG
 Postal Address: TEKADE Fernmeldeanlagen
                 Attn. Dr. J. Lenzer
                 Thurn-und-Taxis-Str.
                 D-8500 N\"urnberg, Federal Republic Germany
 Phone: +49 911 5262019

Radel
 Contact: Jon Radel
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 2276
                 Reston, VA 22090
 Notes: Software is distributed on 5.25" 360K floppy disks. For floppies
        sent with a return mailer, there is a charge of $1.50/floppy
        U.S. orders, $2/floppy elsewhere. For orders where floppies
        are supplied by Jon Radel, there is a charge of $5/floppy
        for U.S., Mexican and Canadian orders, $6/floppy elsewhere.
        3.5" 720K disks are also available for the cost of any two floppies
        each.

TeX Users Group
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 9506
                 Providence, RI 02940-9506
 Phone: 401-751-7760
 Internet: tug@math.ams.com

TeXsys
 Contact: Joachim Schrod
 Postal Address: Kranichweg 1
                 D-6074 R\"odermark
                 Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: +49 6074 1617

University of Utah
 Contact: Nelson H.F. Beebe
 Postal Address: Center for Scientific Computing
                 220 South Physics
                 University of Utah
                 Salt Lake City, UT 84112
 Phone: (801) 581-5254
 Internet: Beebe@Science.Utah.EDU
 Availability: All of the Beebe drivers are distributed together. They are
               available on 1600bpi 9-track tape in TOPS-10/20 BACKUP/DUMPER
               format, VAX/VMS BACKUP format, Unix tar format, and ANSI
               D-format. Send a tape plus $100 for a copy. IBM PC floppies
               are available from Personal TeX or Jon Radel.
FTP: The programs are available for anonymous FTP from SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU on the
     internet; information is in the file PS:<ANONYMOUS>00README.TXT. A
     VAX/VMS binary distribution is available for anonymous FTP (password
     guest) from CTRSCI.UTAH.EDU. 00README.TXT in the login directory gives
     details. On JANET, the programs may be obtained from the directory
     aston.kirk::[public.texdvi210]. On DECnet, they are available from the
     DECnet file repository, for more information send mail to the DECnet
     address <39937::luvisetto>.
 Bitnet servers: The drivers are available from Listserv on EARN to European
                 Bitnet users. Sending the command GET DRIVER FILELIST (in an
                 interactive message, or as the first line of a mail message)
                 to LISTSERV@DHDURZ1. Files are obtained with the command GET
                 filename filetype.

XOrbit
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 1345
                 D-8172 Lenggries
                 Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: +49 8042 8081

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu

gah@hood.hood.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (04/10/91)

I have been using dvijep with landscape mode for years now, without
this problem.  Then again, maybe I had to fix it.  I got a set of
patches to the original dvijep to add landscape mode, and put them
in by hand.  (It was diff output, but I didn't have any program that
would combine them.)  If it is compiled in, I may have changed it.
Do you have dvijep source?