[comp.text.tex] emTeX Previewer -- Changing the "zoom" size

tomliew@itsgw.rpi.edu (Thomas Liew) (03/27/91)

In article <67300@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>In article <1991Mar24.220300.14661@menudo.uh.edu> cychao@csun10.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>*
>*  Hi, I am using emTeX in my PC, the prthplj is fine, but the v.bat
>*  or vs.bat ( screen pre-viewer ) is displaying "huge" characters that
>*  I must used arrow keys to see the whole page. Is there anybody can
>*  tell me how to view the "normal" page in one screen? Any suggestions
>*  will be appreciated.
>
>I will post here since my mail to the user was returned.
>
>The option /s is responsible. By default it is /s3 and you need /s1
>for normal size. Just type ``v'' and nothing else and when asked for
>options, type ``??'' and all of the options are shown. Options of course
>can be then coded into a file.
>
>I think a mailing list of emTeX users is necessary for emTeX specific
>questions. If anyone is going to compile the list, I would like to be in.
>--
>xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

You could also do it interactively by pressing the - ot + key on the
numeric pad to decrease or increase the size of the fonts displayed.
Pressing the -/+ key successively would reduce or increase the size
even more. I presume it is describe in the dvidrv .dvi manual in
German.

Certainly it's a great idea to have a mailing list of emTeX users.
EM is doing a good job providing the FAQ and doc with this package.

Cheers ... happy emTeXing ....
--
 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 % Thomas Liew       | Internet : tomliew@itsgw.rpi.edu                %

nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (03/28/91)

In article <nc7f9h_@rpi.edu> tomliew@itsgw.rpi.edu (Thomas Liew) writes:
>In article <67300@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar24.220300.14661@menudo.uh.edu> cychao@csun10.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>>*
>>*  Hi, I am using emTeX in my PC, the prthplj is fine, but the v.bat
>>*  or vs.bat ( screen pre-viewer ) is displaying "huge" characters that
>>*  I must used arrow keys to see the whole page. Is there anybody can
>>*  tell me how to view the "normal" page in one screen? Any suggestions
>>*  will be appreciated.
>>
>>I will post here since my mail to the user was returned.
>>
>>The option /s is responsible. By default it is /s3 and you need /s1
>>for normal size. Just type ``v'' and nothing else and when asked for
>>options, type ``??'' and all of the options are shown. Options of course
>>can be then coded into a file.
>>
>>I think a mailing list of emTeX users is necessary for emTeX specific
>>questions. If anyone is going to compile the list, I would like to be in.
>>--
>>xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet
>
>You could also do it interactively by pressing the - ot + key on the
>numeric pad to decrease or increase the size of the fonts displayed.
>Pressing the -/+ key successively would reduce or increase the size
>even more. I presume it is describe in the dvidrv .dvi manual in
>German.
>
>Certainly it's a great idea to have a mailing list of emTeX users.
>EM is doing a good job providing the FAQ and doc with this package.
>
>Cheers ... happy emTeXing ....
>--
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> % Thomas Liew       | Internet : tomliew@itsgw.rpi.edu                %
> % Physics Dept. RPI | Bitnet   : ThomasLiew@rpitsmts                  %
> % Troy, NY12180     | Tel[Off]:(518)-276-4807 [Home](518)-276-5665    %

The problem with gray scaling (that's what the /ox and /oy commands do)
is speed ... even if the scaling is optimized for even values (I suggest
you use 4 for both) it is still slow. EM warns of this in the document.

What happens is that v show the fonts `real size'. Since we are using
300dpi fonts, that explains the huge size on the screen.

The best solution, I think, would be to use smaller fonts. Something
like 90 and 75 dpi which are better suited for the screen.

I haven't installed these yet. If someone out there has a better solution,
I am listening.

And yes an emtex mailing list would be a great idea.

--Naji.
    | Naji Mouawad  |          nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu            |
    |  University   |---------------------------------------------------|
    | Of Waterloo   |   "The Stranger in us is our most familiar Self"  |

khc@elmo.eece.ksu.edu (Kenneth H. Carpenter) (03/28/91)

Before getting emtex I used dvivga to preview .dvi files on a pc with
a standard vga graphics card and monitor.  dvivga came with font files
with the correct resolution for the vga screen.  I put these font files
into .fli libraries for the dviscr program and wrote a configuration file
and batch file to drive it.  The result was the emtex previewer with the
screen resolution fonts.  BUT the results were not as good as the subsampled
300dpi laserjet fonts zoomed down to screen size.  Hence I abandonded them
and went back to using just the lj fonts for everything.

Kenneth H. Carpenter     |   913-532-5600    |     khc@eece.ksu.edu
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department |     KHC@ksuvm.bitnet
Kansas State University - Durland Hall       | rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!khc
Manhattan, KS 66506      | {pyramid,ucsd}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!eecea!khc

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.193407.5024@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> khc@elmo.eece.ksu.edu (Kenneth H. Carpenter) writes:
* Before getting emtex I used dvivga to preview .dvi files on a pc with
* a standard vga graphics card and monitor.  dvivga came with font files
* with the correct resolution for the vga screen.  I put these font files
* into .fli libraries for the dviscr program and wrote a configuration file
* and batch file to drive it.  The result was the emtex previewer with the
* screen resolution fonts.  BUT the results were not as good as the subsampled
* 300dpi laserjet fonts zoomed down to screen size.  Hence I abandonded them
* and went back to using just the lj fonts for everything.

I would like to add that using same set of fonts  for screen and for
printer is not a curse but a blessing. Did you ever have a problem that
a file can be previewed but can not be printed or a file can not be
previewed but can be printed? With emTeX, you will never have such
problems.

I don't have the epertise/access in setting up a mailing list for
emTeX. I can, if needed, provide help in such an effort.  The author of
emTeX told me that there is a mailing list in German.
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (04/11/91)

nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) writes:

>In article <nc7f9h_@rpi.edu> tomliew@itsgw.rpi.edu (Thomas Liew) writes:
>The problem with gray scaling (that's what the /ox and /oy commands do)
>is speed ... even if the scaling is optimized for even values (I suggest
>you use 4 for both) it is still slow. EM warns of this in the document.

>What happens is that v show the fonts `real size'. Since we are using
>300dpi fonts, that explains the huge size on the screen.

>The best solution, I think, would be to use smaller fonts. Something
>like 90 and 75 dpi which are better suited for the screen.

>I haven't installed these yet. If someone out there has a better solution,
>I am listening.

I have tried. Forget it! Metafont does not work properly with
such small resolutions. It is much better to scale down the
other fonts.
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany
Bitnet : HAKL@DFRRUF1 or HARTNEGG@CERNVM
Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de