[comp.text.tex] the TeX Book

krobt@mom.uucp (Robert Klotz) (04/05/91)

hi,

   i have heard much said about the importance of the printing date of the TeX
Book.  i ordered said book from my local book merchant and received a 1984
printing.  i remember from an earlier posting in this newsgroup that there was
a printing in jan. of 1990.  i returned my 1984 printing to the book store, and
they contacted the publisher who said that the only differences between
printings was the correction of spelling errors.  does anyone know, is this
correct??  in order to understand the TeX of today, do i need a book from this
decade?

...robert

return mail via                            |  what if there were no
...!uokmax.(ecn.uoknor.edu|uucp)!mom!krobt |      hypothetical situations?

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (04/05/91)

In article <47.27FB5F4E@mom.uucp> krobt@mom.uucp (Robert Klotz) writes:
* hi,
*
i have heard much said about the importance of the printing date of the TeX
Book.  i ordered said book from my local book merchant and received a 1984
printing.  i remember from an earlier posting in this newsgroup that there was
a printing in jan. of 1990.  i returned my 1984 printing to the book store, and
they contacted the publisher who said that the only differences between
printings was the correction of spelling errors.  does anyone know, is this
correct??  in order to understand the TeX of today, do i need a book from this
decade?

According to Karl's ``The TeX for the impatient'':

``Be sure to get the 17th printing (1990) or later, the
earlier printings don't cover the features of new TeX.''

Karl was referring soft cover book.
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

mj@dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Junius) (04/08/91)

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

>According to Karl's ``The TeX for the impatient'':
>``Be sure to get the 17th printing (1990) or later, the
>earlier printings don't cover the features of new TeX.''

Today I looked for the TeX book at one of our local book stores,
they were carrying the 10th printing (june 1990) of the hard
cover version. This printing does cover the new features of TeX
3.x (I lookep for `\language' in the index).

Is there a more recent printing of the hard cover book? Any
relation between hard cover and soft cover printing number?

What about the METAFONT book?

Martin
--
 _____ _____
|_|_|_|_____|   D-5100 Aachen     Tel. (Voice) 0241-86931

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (04/09/91)

>> ``Be sure to get the 17th printing (1990) or later, the
>> earlier printings don't cover the features of new TeX.''
>
> Today I looked for the TeX book at one of our local book stores,
> they were carrying the 10th printing (june 1990) of the hard
> cover version. This printing does cover the new features of TeX
> 3.x (I lookep for `\language' in the index).

I have a sixth printing (March 1986) of the TeX book. Can anyone
briefly (or not) summarize what has been added in the 17th printing.
In other words, what is new in TeX 3.x.

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.210349.20823@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>>> ``Be sure to get the 17th printing (1990) or later, the
>>> earlier printings don't cover the features of new TeX.''

> I have a sixth printing (March 1986) of the TeX book. Can anyone
> briefly (or not) summarize what has been added in the 17th printing.
> In other words, what is new in TeX 3.x.

The changes in TeX are not terribly earth-shattering (nor are
those in MF). For those of you who have older versions of the
books and just want a quick summary of what's been updated, get
the file tex3.dif from ymir.claremont.edu in
[anonymous.tex.sources.tex3_1]. My sig has details on obtaining
ymir files via mailserv.

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu

mj@dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Junius) (04/12/91)

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:

>I have a sixth printing (March 1986) of the TeX book. Can anyone
>briefly (or not) summarize what has been added in the 17th printing.
>In other words, what is new in TeX 3.x.

Get from `tex3.dif' from ymir.claremont.edu, this is a short
article about the new features of TeX 3.x.

Martin
--