[comp.text.tex] Avoid hypens in words that end in "s"?

mjd@csr (Michael J Dinneen) (04/11/91)

I am writing my thesis and see the words are getting hypenated like: graph-
s.  This is very annoying to the eye.  Why does latex do this and how
to fix the problem?  If there is space for the hyphen why can't the 's'
be moved up a line?  This happens (for different words) about 5 times
in a 60 page report.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Michael Dinneen
University of Victoria, B.C. Canada

robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) (04/12/91)

In article <mjd.671320132@csr>, mjd@csr (Michael J Dinneen) writes:
> I am writing my thesis and see the words are getting hypenated like: graph-
> s.  This is very annoying to the eye.  Why does latex do this and how
> to fix the problem?  If there is space for the hyphen why can't the 's'
> be moved up a line?  This happens (for different words) about 5 times
> in a 60 page report.

Sounds like a TeX 3.0-with-old-[L]PLAIN problem.  3.0 introduced the
\{left,right}hyphenmin parameters to control the number of letters that
*must* be present in the split-off bits after hyphenation.  The reason
is that the rules are different in different languages.

To solve this (simply), you or your system admin needs to get the latest
versions of PLAIN and LPLAIN and to rebuild the formats (or whatever)
that you're using your TeX with.  More tediously, you could solemnly put
appropriate values of the parameters into all your files:

\lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 % disallow x- and -xx breaks

> Thanks for any suggestions.

I hope I've been helpful (i.e., diagnosed the problem right ;^)
[if not, my proposed `tedious' solution will likely fall over]
--
Robin Fairbairns, Senior Consultant, postmaster and general dogsbody
Laser-Scan Ltd., Science Park, Milton Rd., Cambridge CB4 4FY, UK

news@midway.uchicago.edu (News Administrator) (04/13/91)

In article <mjd.671320132@csr> mjd@csr (Michael J Dinneen) writes:
>I am writing my thesis and see the words are getting hypenated like: graph-
>s.  This is very annoying to the eye.  Why does latex do this and how
>to fix the problem?  If there is space for the hyphen why can't the 's'
>be moved up a line?  This happens (for different words) about 5 times
>in a 60 page report.

Try including

  \lefthyphenmin = 2
  \righthyphenmin = 3

in the preamble (between \documentstyle and \begin{document}).  If that
fixes the problem, your local installation of LaTeX is broken and needs
to be fixed.  Until then you have a workaround.

BTW your news software there is also broken: mjd@csr is not a very useful
return address.

Charles Geyer
Department of Statistics