[comp.text.tex] extra space in eqnarray

ian@castle.ed.ac.uk (Ian Turton) (04/12/91)

I have a serries of equations in an eqnarray, I want to put some extra space
between them, however if I just put in a blank line Latex numbers this as if
it was an equation, which isn't the desired effect!

Can anyone suguest a way to do this?

Ian Turton                                Dept of Geophysics and geology
ian@uk.ac.edinburgh                       JCMB, Kings Buildings
                                          Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh,UK
     ***If you don't like my views sue my boss, he'll love it.***

zzhang@xihu.inria.fr (Zhengyou Zhang) (04/13/91)

In article <9573@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ian@castle.ed.ac.uk (Ian Turton) writes:
> I have a serries of equations in an eqnarray, I want to put some extra space
> between them, however if I just put in a blank line Latex numbers this as if
> it was an equation, which isn't the desired effect!

Use the command "\\[len]" (see LaTeX p.190).
Here is an example:

\begin{eqnarray}
z & = & (x+y)^2 \\[0.5cm]
  & = & x^2 + 2xy + y^2
\end{eqnarray}

--
Zhengyou Zhang -- Robotvis Project --
Email: zzhang@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.78.33

jdm5548@tamsun.tamu.edu (James Darrell McCauley) (04/13/91)

In article <9573@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ian@castle.ed.ac.uk (Ian Turton) writes:
|> I have a serries of equations in an eqnarray, I want to put some extra space
|> between them, however if I just put in a blank line Latex numbers this as if
|> it was an equation, which isn't the desired effect!
|>
|> Can anyone suguest a way to do this?

First, please read the manual.  In the index, under eqnarray, the last
item says "space between rows in, 170"

to quote p. 170 under Style Parameters:
 \jot The amount of extra vertical space added between rows in an eqnarray
      or eqnarray* environment.

Therefore, \addtolength{\jot}{2\jot} will double the space between equations
in these environments.

Alternatively, try to \nonumber command:

\begin{eqnarray}
 x & = & y \\
   &   & \nonumber \\
 a & = & b \\
\end{eqnarray}

--
James Darrell McCauley, Grad Res Asst, Spatial Analysis Lab
Dept of Ag Engr, Texas A&M Univ, College Station, TX 77843-2117, USA

peg@cs.brown.edu (Pete Granger) (04/14/91)

In article <9573@castle.ed.ac.uk> ian@castle.ed.ac.uk (Ian Turton) writes:

>I have a serries of equations in an eqnarray, I want to put some extra space
>between them, however if I just put in a blank line Latex numbers this as if
>it was an equation, which isn't the desired effect!
>
>Can anyone suguest a way to do this?

Have you tried doing a \nonumber on the blank line? Check the LaTeX Reference
Guide and User's Manual (assuming you have it), sec. 3.3.5.

  - Pete
--------
 Pete Granger   peg@cs.brown.edu  "Abro Hakmo Astab!"
                ...!brunix!peg            - Ancient Helliconian Oath

gvr@cs.brown.edu (George V. Reilly) (04/14/91)

In article <72003@brunix.UUCP> peg@cs.brown.edu (Pete Granger) writes:
| In article <9573@castle.ed.ac.uk> ian@castle.ed.ac.uk (Ian Turton) writes:
|
| >I have a serries of equations in an eqnarray, I want to put some extra space
| >between them, however if I just put in a blank line Latex numbers this as if
| >it was an equation, which isn't the desired effect!
| >
| >Can anyone suguest a way to do this?
|
| Have you tried doing a \nonumber on the blank line? Check the LaTeX Reference
| Guide and User's Manual (assuming you have it), sec. 3.3.5.

Omigawd, my roommate has turned into a TeXie overnight!

This works, but you'll probably find that it produces too much space.
Use \\[5pt] or whatever value gives you the best-looking results.
See C.1.6, `The \\ command'.
George V. Reilly  `ilitterate'		gvr@cs.brown.edu   +1 (401) 863-7684
uunet!brunix!gvr   gvr@browncs.bitnet	Box 1910, Brown U, Prov, RI 02912