[comp.text.tex] An index preprocessor for the PC?

barr@TRIPLES.MATH.MCGILL.CA (Michael Barr) (04/13/91)

A colleague has an index preprocessor written for a Mac.  Does anyone know if
it has been ported to PCs?  It is called, somewhat confusingly, makeindex,
and takes the .idx file produced by the LaTeX \makeindex command and
processes it according to your specifications.

Michael Barr

XITIJSCH@DDATHD21.BITNET (04/16/91)

Michael Barr wrote:

> A colleague has an index preprocessor written for a Mac.  Does anyone know if
> it has been ported to PCs?  It is called, somewhat confusingly, makeindex,
> and takes the .idx file produced by the LaTeX \makeindex command and
> processes it according to your specifications.

(MakeIndex was not written for a Mac. It was written first for UNIX
systems, and reworked later by Nelson Beebe to enhance the
portability.) Of course, it runs on PCs, too. Also it's available for
the usual mainframes/minis (MVS, VM/CMS, BS2000, VMS, etc.)
   You may fetch it from all fine TeX archives, including -- but not
limited to -- the Heidelberg Bitnet-Listserver (Filelist ttools),
tuglib, Aston, labrea, cs.umb.edu, etc.

If somebody want to start on enhancements, please contact me first. I
have recently finished larger changes to MakeIndex, creating version
3.0. It now supports arbitrary alphabets (not limited to 256 chars),
and an automatic creation of the sort key from the printing key may
be specified by the user. Additionally, it now needs less main memory
and is faster than before, making it even more usable on PCs.
    Beta-testing is in progress. Documentation must still be written.
After final completion the complete system will be forwarded to the
usual archives and announced over the usual ways.

--
Joachim

Joachim Schrod                          Email: xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany