[comp.text.tex] Looking for screen previewer of a PS file

habibi@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Daryoush Habibi) (04/17/91)

I remember reading an article on this newsgroup about GhostScript.
Can someone tell me where I can get this program? Does it require
any fonts to go with it?

Thanks, Daryoush

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (04/17/91)

/* habibi@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Daryoush Habibi) wrote */:

* I remember reading an article on this newsgroup about GhostScript.
* Can someone tell me where I can get this program?

Ghostscript is available from prep.ai.mit.edu: ./pub/gnu/ghostscript*
I have asked Raymond to include this info in his supplement info file.

It has all the sources for unix, vms and msdos. It has a binary file for
*displaying* postscript for msdos [EGA, VGA]. One has to compile for oneself
for printing postscript on HP Laser Jet, HP Desk Jet, epson etc.

It requires Turbo C 2.0 or higher
*and* Borland assembler 1.0 or higher *or* Microsoft assembler 4.0 or higher
to compile different drivers. It has been reported that there are certain
difficulties of using C++ to compile. [post from gnu.ghostscript.bug].

I have a file in which I recorded step by step the procedure when I
have the HP Laser Jet driver compiled. I can send the file if any one
needs.

The quality of printout from HP Laser Jet is good enough for proof reading.
For better quality, I think one should use postscript cartridge which costs
about 300 to 800 dollars depending on vendors and options. I don't have one.

The new version Ghostscript 2.2 will come soon. I am not sure if the
binaries of different device drivers will be included.

* Does it require any fonts to go with it?

It seems to be yes. I have all of the fonts from above mentioned ftp
address and it works pretty good. I am not sure about the possibility
for ghostscript to use TeX fonts, for example, emTeX's font libraries.
Any know knows ?
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

smagt@fwi.uva.nl (Patrick van der Smagt) (04/17/91)

habibi@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Daryoush Habibi) writes:

>I remember reading an article on this newsgroup about GhostScript.
>Can someone tell me where I can get this program? Does it require
>any fonts to go with it?

look at prep.ai.mit.edu, directory pub/gnu.  The fonts that come with the
package are not the best, but what can we poor people do?

							Patrick van der Smagt

b2676870@rick.cs.ubc.ca (Wilson W Ma) (04/17/91)

I recently built Ghostscript but I am curious about getting it to work with
TeX fonts.  I would assume that somehow one has to do some conversion between
the TeX font files to the GS font format but I do not know how (or maybe GS
has the facility to understand TeX fonts as is).  Right now, whenever I do a
preview, I just get boxes instead of characters (quite like the boxes Knuth
used in his book to describe boxes).  It would be much nicer if I could get
characters :)

Wilson

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (04/18/91)

/* b2676870@rick.cs.ubc.ca (Wilson W Ma) wrote */:
* I recently built Ghostscript but I am curious about getting it to work with
* TeX fonts.  I would assume that somehow one has to do some conversion between
* the TeX font files to the GS font format but I do not know how (or maybe GS
* has the facility to understand TeX fonts as is).  Right now, whenever I do a
* preview, I just get boxes instead of characters (quite like the boxes Knuth
* used in his book to describe boxes).  It would be much nicer if I could get
* characters :)

I don't know how it is possible in general.

I looked at ghostscript fonts I ftped from prep.ai.mit.edu
./pub/gnu/ghostscript and they are ascii files. While TeX fonts are
binaries. So is that possible theoretically?
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet