[comp.text.tex] MakeTeXPK problem?

willis@cs.athabascau.ca (Tony Willis) (04/03/91)

I recently obtained the dvips package (v5.4.7) and installed
it on my system. The only thing I seem to be having problems with
is the MakeTeXPK shell script. This is supposed to translate
the fonts created by METAFONT to the right  .pk name.
However something seems fundamentally wrong.

If metafont is fed the command
\mode:=imagen; mag:=magstep(0.5); scrollmode; input cmr7

it coughs out the file cmr7.2850gf

However MakeTeXPK expects to see the file cmr7.329gf
since magstep(0.5) was derived from a dpi value of 329 and
a bdpi value of 300!! Help!! (The man page for mf doesn't help -
tbl is complaining that it can't format the table
relating dpi and metafont file names!!)

1) can someone send me a man file for mf which formats
properly?

2) can someone send me a version of MakeTeXPK which works?

(Sorry if any of these questions have come up before; I'm just a
poor systems administrator who got stuck with the job of installing
TeX..)

Thanks,
Tony Willis

twillis@drao.nrc.ca

edwin@dutlru2.tudelft.nl (Edwin Wisse/32768) (04/18/91)

In article <974@vax.cs.athabascau.ca> willis@cs.athabascau.ca (Tony Willis) writes:
>I recently obtained the dvips package (v5.4.7) and installed
>it on my system. The only thing I seem to be having problems with
>is the MakeTeXPK shell script. This is supposed to translate
>the fonts created by METAFONT to the right  .pk name.
>However something seems fundamentally wrong.
>
>If metafont is fed the command
>\mode:=imagen; mag:=magstep(0.5); scrollmode; input cmr7
>
>it coughs out the file cmr7.2850gf

You probably have not defined the imagen mode! When MetaFont doesn't find
the mode you specified it takes a standard value which does result in fonts
with those huge sizes. Define your printer mode in modes.mf.
--
__  |   |  Edwin Wisse  TU Delft             edwin@dutlru2.tudelft.nl      |