[comp.text.tex] Style

bed_gdg@SHSU.BITNET ("George D. Greenwade") (04/12/91)

Has anyone created a style file or fonts necessary to produce the symbols
associated with currencies (see, I really am an economist!)?  I know how
to get the symbol for the U.S. dollar and British pounds sterling, but is
there a style out there (or fonts maybe?) which does the proper kerning
exercises to create, say, the symbol for the Japanese yen, French franc,
etc. (or have I overlooked something really simple)?  If so, I (and our
departmental secretary) would be eternally grateful if you could point me
to it/them.

Regards,   George
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
George D. Greenwade, Ph.D.                            Bitnet:  BED_GDG@SHSU
Department of Economics and Business Analysis         THEnet: SHSU::BED_GDG
P. O. Box 2118                                        Voice: (409) 294-1266
Sam Houston State University                          FAX:   (409) 294-3612
Huntsville, TX 77341            Internet: bed_gdg%shsu.decnet@relay.the.net
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

XITIJSCH@DDATHD21.BITNET (04/16/91)

George D. Greenwade wrote:

> Has anyone created a style file or fonts necessary to produce the symbols
> associated with currencies (see, I really am an economist!)?  I know how
> to get the symbol for the U.S. dollar and British pounds sterling,

I don't know of other currency symbols. But note that the default
\pounds definition of LaTeX as given in lfonts.tex is wrong. First,
the font cmu10 should be used instead of cmti10 (to get an upright
symbol, not an italic one). Second, in the math part of the
definition a blank is missing after the number "424. (try $\pounds1$).

--
Joachim

Joachim Schrod                          Email: xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet
DANTE e.V.
Coordinator for Drivers/ILaTeX

cczdao@mips.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (04/18/91)

In article <0094703C.073A7F80.13637@SHSU.BITNET> bed_gdg@SHSU.BITNET ("George D. Greenwade") writes:
>Has anyone created a style file or fonts necessary to produce the symbols
>associated with currencies (see, I really am an economist!)?  I know how
>to get the symbol for the U.S. dollar and British pounds sterling, but is
>there a style out there (or fonts maybe?) which does the proper kerning
>exercises to create, say, the symbol for the Japanese yen, French franc,

The yen symbol is in msam* in the new AMS fonts, in position '125;
\yen produces it in AMSTeX.  Isn't the French franc symbol just an
uppercase roman F?  For Dutch guilder, I think a lowercase italic f is
suitable (florin).

--dave
David Osborne
--
David Osborne

cczdao@mips.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (04/19/91)

("George D. Greenwade") writes:
>Has anyone created a style file or fonts necessary to produce the symbols
>associated with currencies (see, I really am an economist!)?  I know how
>to get the symbol for the U.S. dollar and British pounds sterling, but is
>there a style out there (or fonts maybe?) which does the proper kerning
>exercises to create, say, the symbol for the Japanese yen, French franc,

The yen symbol is in msam* in the new AMS fonts, in position '125;
\yen produces it in AMSTeX.  Isn't the French franc symbol just an
uppercase roman F?  For Dutch guilder, I think a lowercase italic f is
suitable (florin).

   David Osborne, Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham
                        Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
                    (Phone: +44 602 484848 x2064)

JANET: d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.mips  Internet: d.osborne@mips.nott.ac.uk