[comp.text.tex] Euler fonts in LaTeX

scharein@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Scharein) (03/06/91)

We have the new AMS Euler fonts on our system and I have been eager
to use them.  I know how to change the text font, but I can't find
anything about changing the math font.  Does anyone know how this is
done?  Is there any special magic that needs to be done if I want
to do it in LaTeX?

                                           Rob Scharein,
                                           Comp. Sci. Dept. UBC
                                           Vancouver, Canada

                                           scharein@cs.ubc.ca

ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Arthur Ogawa) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar6.063846.7143@cs.ubc.ca> scharein@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Scharein) writes:

|We have the new AMS Euler fonts on our system and I have been eager
|to use them.  I know how to change the text font, but I can't find
|anything about changing the math font.  Does anyone know how this is
|done?  Is there any special magic that needs to be done if I want
|to do it in LaTeX?

Follow Knuth: the needed file is on, e.g., labrea.stanford.edu
as tex/doc/gkpmac.tex. There is an article in a back issue of TUGboat
concerning these macros, which were used to produce Concrete Mathematics.
It should be relatively straightforward to modify lfonts.tex to make
LaTeX use these fonts.

In fact, the Mathematica Journal, which I produce for Addison-Wesley,
uses the Euler fonts. The macro package is a variant of LaTeX.

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar6.150035.6426@news.arc.nasa.gov> ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Arthur Ogawa) writes:

   In article <1991Mar6.063846.7143@cs.ubc.ca> scharein@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Scharein) writes:

   |We have the new AMS Euler fonts on our system and I have been eager
   |to use them.
   [...]
   Follow Knuth: the needed file is on, e.g., labrea.stanford.edu
   as tex/doc/gkpmac.tex. There is an article in a back issue of TUGboat
   concerning these macros, which were used to produce Concrete Mathematics.
   It should be relatively straightforward to modify lfonts.tex to make
   LaTeX use these fonts.

Saying that this is "relatively straightforward" is a relative
statement at best --- I certainly see nothing straightforward about
it!  But rescue is at hand:  If you move to the Mittelbach/Sch\"opf
font selection scheme then this kind of change really does become
quite easy.  And there is even a concrete.sty file included (if my
memory serves me right?) which you can use for a starting point.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

cap@cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris) (04/18/91)

Does anyone have a LaTeX style file that redefines the math fonts to use
the Euler fonts? It looks like it would require more than just redefining
the fonts due to the fact that some of the Euler fonts are incomplete.

Chris Paris
cap@cs.cmu.edu

dahosek@biivax.dp.beckman.com (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.160907.14577@cs.cmu.edu>, cap@cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris) writes:
> Does anyone have a LaTeX style file that redefines the math fonts to use
> the Euler fonts? It looks like it would require more than just redefining
> the fonts due to the fact that some of the Euler fonts are incomplete.

With the Mittelbach & Schoepf font selection scheme, you can use
concrete.sty (Euler is too heavy for use with CM text fonts, so
Concrete is recommended for the text fonts). The files are
available from ymir.claremont.edu in
[anonymous.tex.inputs.latex-mainz]. See fontsel.readme for
details of which files are necessary.

-dh

--
Don Hosek // Quixote Digital Typography   714-625-0147

On contract to Beckman Instruments        714-961-4562