Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 12:37:10 EST
From: clayton@thumper.bellcore.com (R. Clayton)
Subject: Nofm.sty modification

Here's a version of nofm.sty modified to run with less chatter.  The
file came from the from the Clarkson latex archive.  I couldn't figure
out how to resubmit the file; anybody who knows how is welcome to do
so.

% nofm.sty
%
% This is a LaTeX document style option for "n of m" style pagination.
% It produces a centered header in the above style, and no footer;
% variations to put the information elsewhere, incorporate other
% information, or include the word "page" should be easy.  This option
% works by recording the last page's page number in the .aux file
% (using the standard label/pageref mechanism).  Therefore, you will
% have to run LaTeX a second time if the number of pages changes, in
% order to get correct output.
%
%     -- Max Hailperin, 9/27/88
%
% 25 Feb 91 - Don't clobber \pagestyle, redefine \ps@plain.
%             Define \@lastpageref to eliminate warnings.
%             clayton@thumper.bellcore.com

% Make the plain page style be the same as the empty page style to
% avoid having a footer-centered page number on the first page and on
% index pages (in article style, anyway).

\let \ps@plain = \ps@empty

% The below is reproduced from the latex.tex file, version 2.09 of 27 October
% 1986, Copyright (C) 1985 by Leslie Lamport, with the exception of the
% marked change in the first line----vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.

\def\enddocument{\@checkend{document}\label{@lastpage}\clearpage\begingroup
\if@filesw \immediate\closeout\@mainaux
\def\global\@namedef##1##2{}\def\newlabel{\@testdef r}%
\def\bibcite{\@testdef b}\@tempswafalse \makeatletter\input \jobname.aux
\if@tempswa \@warning{Label(s) may have changed.  Rerun to get
cross-references right}\fi\fi\endgroup\deadcycles\z@\@@end}

% Define a special-purpose \pageref to avoid having a "Reference
% @lastpage undefined" warning on every page.

\def\@lastpageref{%
   \@ifundefined{r@@lastpage}{{\bf ??}}%
    {\edef\@tempa{\@nameuse{r@@lastpage}}%
     \expandafter\@cdr\@tempa\@nil\null
    }%
}

% The page number is centered in the header.  Change the definitions
% to make it something else.

\def \@oddhead{\rm\hfil\thepage\ of \@lastpageref\hfil}
\def \@evenhead{\@oddhead}
\def \@oddfoot{}
\def \@evenfoot{\@oddfoot}

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 91 12:48 EST
From: "From the screen of Deneva...  01-Apr-1991 1245" <HELLER@cs.umass.EDU>
Subject: 4 small pages on one 8.5x11 sheet...

I'd like to know if anyone has written a .sty file for LaTeX to print 4 small
(about 4x5) pages of text on a single sheet of 8.5x11 paper.

		Robert Heller
ARPANet:	Heller@CS.UMass.EDU
BIX:		locks.hill.bbs
GEnie:		RHeller
FidoNet:	1:321/153 (Locks Hill BBS, Wendell, MA)
CompuServe	71450,3432
Local PV VAXen:	COINS::HELLER
UCC Cyber/DG:	Heller@CS

Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1991 09:57:47 GMT+1
From: tex@ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Subject: bk14.sty - does it exist?

A colleague of mine has to write his Ph.D. thesis very soon. This thesis
must be printed out in DIN A size (approx. 8x12 inch) and will be
reduced into 70% of its original size (appprox. 6x8 inch) in the press.
He found out that reducing a 12pt document down to 70% is difficult
to read, and therefore he is searching for a 14pt. book style.

Does anybody out there know where I can get the appropriate style file
(via anonymous FTP, if possible)? If "bk14" does not exist, an "art14" or
"rep14" would also be very helpful.

Thank you in advance,

Volkmar Kuhnle
tex@aitxu2.ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de

Date:    Mon, 1 Apr 91 20:58 EST
From: James MacKinnon <MACKINNO@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>
Subject: dvi2dvi

A recent item in texhax mentioned a program called dvi2dvi, which was
apparently capable of taking an ordinary dvi file and turning it into
a file with two pages, in landscape mode, on each sheet of paper.
That is something I would like to be able to do. Can anyone tell me
where dvi2dvi might be found? I have access to ftp, and would prefer
an MS-DOS version, but could probably handle plain-vanilla C code if necessary.

Date:    Sun, 31 Mar 1991 10:11:37 MST
From: JMS@arizona.edu (jms, at home, with vax and mac)
Subject: Three topics: Cyrillic, Machine readable Help, 2 column article

In a recent TeXhax, Peter Flynn asks three questions:

1. Two column article, with single column title/abstract.

This is what DeProc (DECUS Proceedings) style was designed for.  Barbara Beeton
wrote this style sheet and contributed it to DECUS.  For an example, look
at any recent DECUS Proceedings (US chapter).

DeProc is available by anonymous ftp to Arizona.Edu.  Once on, cd to
[.software.deproc.tex] or [.software.deproc.latex].  Complete instructions
are included.

2. Help (machine readable) for TeX/LaTeX

Off of a non-recent DECUS tape, someone put a full LaTeX help in VAX/VMS
help format.  I don't know which one (it's been years), but it is highly
likely that it is available on the DECUS TeX package tape.

3. Cyrillic fonts/macros

As far as I know, there is only one set of inexpensive/free Cyrillic fonts for
TeX/LaTeX, and that's the ones from AMS.  The old ones were free and were
in Metafont 84 (or some such that no one can compile); the new ones are
(I think) $45, and come on a PC disk.  We got them, loaded them onto the
VAX, and have been going great guns.

However, we're strictly amateurs at Russian TeX---really interested readers
will want to subscribe to RUSTEX-L (via LISTSERV@UBVM, I think), which has
had intense discussions on this for quite some time.  A perusal of their
archives is highly recommended to get up to speed on the topic.

jms

Joel M Snyder, The Mosaic Group, 627 E Speedway, 85705  Phone: 602.626.8680
(University of Arizona, Dep't of MIS, Eller Graduate School of Management)
BITNET: jms@arizmis  Internet: jms@mis.arizona.edu  SPAN: 47541::uamis::jms

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 91 08:42:05 PST
From: chen@cayenne.cayenne.com
Subject: dvi to ascii converter

Does anybody have or know of a dvi to ascii converter?
Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pehong Chen

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 91 20:49:58 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: grayfont setting in initex

It can't be done that way, though you might
be able to work it out in a more complex macro.
If you really want to do this, you must at very least,
include something like
\font\gray=<whatever>
to declare the font, and then \let\black=\gray
might work.  But it probably won't do what you want
even so.

The settings for grayfont and slantfont are unknown
to TeX.  They are special options internal to GFtoDVI
which makes the translation to a tfm name before writing the
dvi file, so that TeX never has to know about
macros or variables named "grayfont" or "slantfont".

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 0:47:09 CST
From: us267388@web.mmc.mmmg.com (Bradley D. Rhoades)
Subject: Problems running METAFONT?

	Pardon me if this has already been addressed, this is
	my first time building TeX and using it on a UNIX system.

	I obtained UNIX TeX3.0 from Stanford ran most of the
	installation, but had problems when it came to running METAFONT.
	I successfully built cmmf and mf based on the steps outlined in
	README.METAFONT up to step 9.  I based the localized |mode_def|
	on the U_Wash.mf template.  I verified everything in the file
	as described, and only added comments at the top and reviewed
	the file to better understand things.  However, when I tried
	building the Computer Modern fonts with the command line:

	 % cmmf '\mode=localfont; \mag=magstep?;' input cm*?

	I got the following error(s):

 -- errors --
	 This is METAFONT, C Version 2.0
	 ! A primary expression can't begin with `message'.
	 <inserted text>
			 0
			 <to be read again>
					    message
	 <for(1)> message
		    .mode_name[(EXPR0)]; ENDFOR
?->....number_of_modes:message.mode_name[i];endfor
						;save?;
<*> &cmmf \mode=localfont; \mag=magstep?
					; input cmb10.mf cmbase.mf cmbsy10.m...
-- errors --

	The log file looks like this:

 -- mfput.log --
This is METAFONT, C Version 2.0 (base=cmmf 91.3.28)  29 MAR 1991 00:30
**&cmmf \mode=localfont; \mag=magstep?; input cmb10.mf cmbase.mf cmbsy10.mf cmb
sy5.mf cmbsy6.mf cmbsy7.mf cmbsy8.mf cmbsy9.mf cmbx10.mf cmbx12.mf cmbx5.mf cmb
x6.mf cmbx7.mf cmbx8.mf cmbx9.mf cmbxsl10.mf cmbxti10.mf cmcsc10.mf cmcsc8.mf c
mcsc9.mf cmdunh10.mf cmex10.mf cmex7.mf cmex8.mf cmex9.mf cmff10.mf cmfi10.mf c
mfib8.mf cminch.mf cmitt10.mf cmman.mf cmmf.mf cmmi10.mf cmmi12.mf cmmi5.mf cmm
i6.mf cmmi7.mf cmmi8.mf cmmi9.mf cmmib10.mf cmmib5.mf cmmib6.mf cmmib7.mf cmmib
8.mf cmmib9.mf cmplain.mf cmr10.mf cmr12.mf cmr17.mf cmr5.mf cmr6.mf cmr7.mf cm
r8.mf cmr9.mf cmsl10.mf cmsl12.mf cmsl8.mf cmsl9.mf cmsltt10.mf cmss10.mf cmss1
2.mf cmss17.mf cmss8.mf cmss9.mf cmssbx10.mf cmssdc10.mf cmssi10.mf cmssi12.mf
cmssi17.mf cmssi8.mf cmssi9.mf cmssq8.mf cmssqi8.mf cmsy10.mf cmsy5.mf cmsy6.mf
 cmsy7.mf cmsy8.mf cmsy9.mf cmtcsc10.mf cmtex10.mf cmtex8.mf cmtex9.mf cmti10.m
f cmti12.mf cmti7.mf cmti8.mf cmti9.mf cmtt10.mf cmtt12.mf cmtt8.mf cmtt9.mf cm
u10.mf cmvtt10.mf

! Emergency stop.
<inserted text>
                0
<to be read again>
                   message
<for(1)> message
                .mode_name[(EXPR0)]; ENDFOR
?->....number_of_modes:message.mode_name[i];endfor
                                                  ;save?;
<*> &cmmf \mode=localfont; \mag=magstep?
                                        ; input cmb10.mf cmbase.mf cmbsy10.m...
End of file on the terminal!
 -- mfput.log --

	I am running on a Sun SS1+, using Sun OS 4.1, Generic TeX
	unix3.0, and ran the command from the MFINPUTS directory.
	I verified that cmmf, mf, virmf are hard links to one another.

	Has anyone else seen this and can you help me get around this?

	I just subscribed to TeXhax so you may want to copy me via
	email directly as well as the list.

	Thanks for any help.

	Brad Rhoades

Bradley D. Rhoades	          E/Mail: bdrhoades@mmc.mmmg.com
3M, 2465 Lexington Ave So         NIC: BR79
Building 60-1N-01                 WRK: +1 (612) 736 2874
Mendota Heights, MN  55120        FAX: +1 (612) 736-0431
   "Maturity is a measure of one's ability to deal with Ambiguity." - Ed Krol

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 13:46 EST
From: Frank Bounds <FLJ@epavax.rtpnc.epa.gov>
Subject: HEBREW fonts for LaTeX

	Does anybody know of an anonymous ftp site that has some decent
	looking HEBREW fonts? I do have the redis* fonts but would like
	something a little fuller. Also, any notes, experiences, sources
        etc., with semitic styles would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

        Frank Bounds

        Bitnet  :  flj@epavax
        Internet:  flj@epavax.rtpnc.epa.gov

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 91 11:16:52 -0500
From: guy@phy.duke.edu (Guy Metcalfe)
Subject: \input in LATEX

I too put my figures in subdirectories and use the following scheme,
since LaTeX doesn't seem to look first in the current working
directory (btw \special{include ./fig/fig.ps} doesn't work for me
either.  I could be missing out on an environment variable, and this
is not the most elegant scheme imaginable, but it's serviceable.

In the preamble define once the absolute pathname of the figure
directory, eg
% where is the figure directory
\def\FIGDIR{/home/ltb/guy/write/dissertation/theory/fig}

then insert figures in the usual way, for example
\begin{figure}[p]
\vspace{6.75in}
\special{include \FIGDIR/coeff.PF}
\caption{The $p_i$, $R_c$ and $q_c$ as a function of the number $n$ of
trail functions used in their evaluation.  $n = 5$ seems the minimum
needed to produce asymptotic values.  The lines are guides for the
eye.}
\label{fig:pi_values}
\end{figure}

Hope this helps.

	Guy Metcalfe
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	guy@phy.duke.edu
	& Center for Nonlinear Studies		guy@physics.phy.duke.edu
	Durham, N.C.      27706			guy%phy.duke.edu@cs.duke.edu

   Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 10:54:34 MST
   From: Joy Kelly <kelly@harrier.den.mmc.com>

   I am using TEX version 2.9 and LATEX version 2.09. I have tried to set
   up subdirectories containing eps files and and block diagram files
   (created using the picture environment), to reduce the number of files
   in my directory.  To include the eps files into my LATEX document, I
   used a tex file which sets up the appropriate header, along with the
   command:
				   \special{ps: plotfile #1.eps}.
   LATEX cannot find the file if #1 has a path along with the filename.

   For the block diagrams, I used the \input command, with the path (subdirectory)
   specified:
	      \input{diagrams/diag} for diag.tex file.

   Neither of these worked. Is there a way to do this? I sure hope so.

   Thanks for any insights you have for me. :)

					   Joy Kelly (7-4925)
					   Kelly@harrier.den.mmc.com

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest