[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #021

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (04/23/91)

TeXhax Digest    Monday,  April 22, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 021

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

                               Re: art14 style
                       e-mail address (Doug MacDonald)
                                 Hebrew Font
                       TeX 3.1 for sgi IRIS machines
                            TeX/LaTeX help files
                     Converting PK files to PS Outlines
                                 Re: dvi2lj
                          Wanted:  \ifdisplaymode
                              barcodes from TeX?
                                 hebrew font?
                        Looking for BiBTeX for Amiga
                             Re: TeX help systems
                      Style for US Patent Applications.
                A small bug in oldlfont.sty of New Font ... and
                    Non-English hyphenation and TeX 3.0
                  A Macintosh 8-bit CMTT font is available
                    LaTeX-help-toughies@cs.stanford.edu
                                   Metafont
                        variants for currency symbols
                               fonts, TeX, LaTeX
          dvi driver for HP DeskJet (PC) and DeskWriter (Macintosh)

Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 91 11:50:11 MEZ
From: Peter Schmitt <A8131DAL%AWIUNI11@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: art14 style

Why not use art12 and set the page dimensions to the reduced page?
Then the document can be easily printed out using mag 1, and
then be reduced --- should look better than reducing a true 14pt style!
Peter Schmitt

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 20:26:17 -0500
From: mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald)
Subject: e-mail address (Doug MacDonald)

I don't know where people get the address mcdonald@aries.cso.uiuc.edu
for me. I can see how they get mcdonald@aries.cs.uiuc.edu for me,
but it is wrong. The correct address is

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu

"scs" stands for "School of Chemical Sciences".

The primany distribution site for dvivga and dvimswin is

c.scs.uiuc.edu

aaries.scs.uiuc.edu is 128.174.90.55
c.scs.uiuc.edu is 128.174.90.3

Doug McDonald

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 19:40:10 -0400
From: "Rik Faith" <refst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: Hebrew Font

I'm looking for a Hebrew font for TeX.  Metafont source would be ideal,
and a commercial source would be acceptable.  I am specifically NOT
looking for a stick figure Hebrew font (one or two fonts in this style,
sometimes called ``textbook'' style, are available, but are NOT
acceptable ).  I need a ``calligraphic'' style font.  Thanks.

|                   | InterNet: refst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu   |
|     Rik Faith     | BITNET: refst4@pittvms               |
|                   | UUCP, CCNet: refst4@cisvms           |

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 02:34:44 EDT
From: karron@karron.med.nyu.edu (Dan Karron (karron@nyu.edu))
Subject: TeX 3.1 for sgi IRIS machines

What is the current status, and where can I get the required file,
for TeX 3.1 and friends for sgi irix machines ?

Cheers!

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 15:38 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: TeX/LaTeX help files

I have nearly finished my review of help files.
The only substantial one in existence seems to be the VMS LATEX.HLP
If anyone has locally-developed help systems whose content they can
mail me, I'd be glad to include them.

///Peter

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 12:25 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Converting PK files to PS Outlines

Is there any s/w anywhere which will convert a PK file to something
which users of other DTP systems can use, eg a PS outline, a BitStream
outline etc? I have a (PD?) prog to convert to a HP PCL downloadable
file, maybe something which takes those can go further?

///Peter

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 11:41:54 +0200
From: hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg)
Subject: Re: dvi2lj

In comp.text.tex you write:

>I'm looking for a complete C version of a dvi to laserjet program.
>I've found a web version and the texdvi-to-laserjet programs.

There is a DVI2XX that contains C source for both DVI2LJ
and DVI2IBM 3812. I use the latter one since several month,
it works very well. DVI2XX seems to be available from simtel since
a few weeks.

Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany
Bitnet : HAKL@DFRRUF1 or HARTNEGG@CERNVM
Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 22:24:15 -0400
From: amgreene@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Subject: Wanted:  \ifdisplaymode

I want to define / to have \mathcode"8000 and the following behaviour:

In D and D' modes,  / becomes \over
In all other modes, / is the normal / character

This will let me type formulas like $${{1/2}/{3/4}}$$ and have the
proper output:

       1 / 2
       -----
       3 / 4

But I can't figure out how to find out which mode I'm in.  \mathchoice
is not the right answer.

Thanks for your help!

 - Andrew

Date: Wed 10 Apr 91 08:27:57-EST
From: Tom Maloney <TJM@MATH.AMS.COM>
Subject: barcodes from TeX?

Anyone out there producing barcode output from TeX? I'd love
to hear about it if you are. Thanks much!

Tom Maloney - American Math Society - Providence, RI
tjm@math.ams.com

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 12:54:41 +0200
From: Stefan Eckart <S_Eckart@lis.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>

A friend of mine is looking for a hebrew (iwrit) TeX font to include hebrew
text into his theology thesis. Do you have any idea where I could get such
a font via anonymous ftp? Any hint would be appreciated. Please e-mail to
my Internet address given below. Many thanks in advance.

Stefan Eckart,

S_Eckart@lis.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 17:55 PDT
From: John Fieber <FIEBERJR%whitman.bitnet@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Looking for BiBTeX for Amiga

Does anybody know of a *working* bibtex for the Amiga other than the one
contained in the Radical Eye AmigaTeX package?  I have one that came from the
Decus collection but it has a bug that causes a sever crash.  :(  It is suppose
to work according to the documentation.

##= john fieber =========================================================##=##
=                           Have Another Day                              // =
=   fieberjr@whitman : BITNET <--> INTERNET : fieberjr@whitman.bitnet   \\/  =
============================================================================##

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 12:34:56 PDT
From: siemsen%sol.usc.edu@usc.edu (Pete Siemsen)
Subject: Re: TeX help systems

In comp.text.tex you write:

>I'm just finishing the development stage of a help system for TeX
>which I will be presenting in Boston.

>It is PC-specific, and I have used portions of several existing other
>systems. Are there any pointers to current developments elsewhere, eg
>the VMS LSE files, help under ?Atari, ?Amiga, ?unix man pages etc, so
>i can check consistency?

I wrote most of the VMS HELP files distributed with the DECUS TeX
Collection.  I spent many hours converting man pages and TeX
documentation to VMS HELP format (actually RUNOFF format for HELP
files).  You are welcome to these files.  Let me know and I'll
stick them in a place where you can get them with anonymous ftp.

I am currently working on a project here at USC called USCguide, which
will be a campus-wide general help system.  It uses Texinfo, the Free
Software Foundation's system for supporting high-quality printed
documents and on-line help using the same source files.  I have
converted the dvips manual from TeX format to Texinfo format.
Eventually, help for TeX, Metafont and other related things will also
be converted to Texinfo.  I'll joyfully steal from existing free
documentation,  and perhaps add a little myself.

For browsing this information on-line, we have a stand-alone program
that functions much like Emacs info mode.  This is sufficient for
character-cell terminals, but is rather ugly.  We are much more
excited about xinfo, an X-wiindows-based browser of the same
information.  It is very intuitive, and after some changes are made,
we feel it'll fulfill our need for a help system that anyone can use
and understand immediately.

Both the USCguide project and the VMS HELP files address on-line help
external to programs, not from within them.

Please let me know about your help system.  I may want to steal pieces
and fit them into some of the stuff I've built.

Pete Siemsen                         Pete Siemsen            siemsen@usc.edu
University of Southern California    645 Ohio Ave. #302      (213) 740-7391 (w)
1020 West Jefferson Blvd.            Long Beach, CA 90814    (213) 433-3059 (h)
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0251

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 11:49:08 PDT
From: Ian_Cumming@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Style for US Patent Applications.

Are you aware of the existence of a LaTeX style file suitable for writing
U.S. Patent Applications ?
It uses 2 columns, and the columns are ;?^f{numbered, rather than the
pages.
Also, the lines in each column are numbered, using a small number e?MBvery
5th line, between the columns.

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 11:16:29 +0200
From: schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE (Rainer Schoepf)
Subject: A small bug in oldlfont.sty of New Font ... and

On Mar 28 Mustafa Akgul <akgul@TRBILUN.bitnet> wrote:

   I found a small bug in oldlfont.sty of AMS distribution
   of the  New Font Selection Scheme of FMi & RS.

   If you try to load oldlfont.sty at dump time you will get
   an error message stating that `\@undefined' is really UNDEFINED
   at that point. It is defined in LaTeX.tex which is read later.
   To remedy one should change the line

   \@ifundefined{ds@oldlfont}{\let\ds@oldlfont\@empty}{\endinput}

   with

   \expandafter\ifx\csname ds@oldlfont\endcsname\relax
   \let\ds@oldlfont\@empty  \else \endinput \fi

   and everything works fine.

This bug was fixed with version 1.2l in September last year.
Unfortunately, the AMS has not been able to update their distribution
accordingly.  The up-to-date versions of all files are available (at
least) from listserv@dhdurz1 (mail only), rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
(ftp only), TEXSERVER@TEX.AC.UK (mail only), and ymir.claremont.edu
(in directory [.TEX.INPUTS.LATEX-MAINZ]).

Rainer Sch\"opf

PS: Since the files were not changed, the mail addresses listed their
were not updated. Frank's address is now PZF5HZ@RUIPC1E.bitnet.

   Dr. Rainer Schoepf
   Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum                       ,,Ich mag es nicht, wenn
    fuer Informationstechnik Berlin            sich die Dinge so frueh
   Heilbronner Strasse 10                      am Morgen schon so
   D-1000 Berlin 31                            dynamisch entwickeln!''
   Federal Republic of Germany
   <Schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.dbp.de> or <Schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.de>

Date:    Sun, 7 Apr 1991 9:17:04 EDT
From: AHLQUIST@METSAT.MET.FSU.EDU
Subject: Non-English hyphenation and TeX 3.0
To: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu

I am getting ready to send TeX to a user in Brazil.
Does a Portuguese hyphenation table exist?  If so, where
can I get it?
   Could someone submit a brief review to TeXhax regarding
hyphenation tables for non-English languages, where
they can be obtained, and the status of support software
for ASCII characters 128-255 which are available to TeX 3.0?

Jon Ahlquist, Dept. of Meteorology, Florida State Univ.
ahlquist@met.fsu.edu

Date:     Ve, 5 Avr 91 15:52:55 +0200
From: yannis%frcitl81.bitnet@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: A Macintosh 8-bit CMTT font is available

Problem:
*******
Have you ever tried to write 8-bit Macintosh code in verbatim mode? (for
example MPW Shell commands, or simply french or german comments to your
code) TeX supports very well 8-bit input, but CMTT needs the \accent
primitive to construct accented characters, or you may need an "escape-
from-verbatim" feature to reach characters from the CMTEX (extended 7-bit)
font. And some characters will still be missing...

Solution:
********
An extension of the CMTT font, with *all* Macintosh 8-bit characters. Since
the upper part is (99%) unchanged, you can use this font instead of CMTT for
usual 7-bit TeX.

Its name is MACTT, the MF sources are shareware (20$) and you can get them at
yannis@frcitl81 (bitnet).

I hope you'll enjoy it, and that other people will do the same for PC...
Friendly Greetings

Yannis Haralambous
                                    The ball I threw while playing in the park
                                             has not yet reached the ground...

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 10:37 CDT
From: U2591AA@VMS.UCC.OKSTATE.EDU
Subject: LaTeX-help-toughies@cs.stanford.edu

I am a participator in the LaTeX help service started by Max Halperin
a year or two ago.  I cannot get mail to the help service, in particular
the LaTeX-help-toughies@cs.stanford.edu address.  A mailer with address
Sunburn.pescadero.stanford.edu sends a reply that the user is unknown.

Can some help a helper?

Scott McCullough		u2591aa@vms.ucc.okstate.edu

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 18:37 EDT
From: HEFFERON%SMCVAX.BITNET@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Metafont

I'm having a problem getting my first output from Metafont.  I follow the
directions from the Metafont book, I get GF output---here is my .LIS file
for IO (I'm running stuff under the latest DECUS collection for the VAX):

This is METAFONT, Version 2.0 [PD VMS 2.1a/DECUS] (preloaded base=plain 90.8.25)
     3 APR 1991 19:13
**io
($1$DIA2:[FACULTY.HEFFERON]IO.MF;2
The letter O [79])
*test_I("I",5/6,1/3);
The letter I [73]
*end
Output written on $1$DIA2:[FACULTY.HEFFERON]IO.2602GF;1 (2 characters, 2568 byt
es).

 ---but GFTODVI gives me an error: "Bad TFM file for titles!"  I'm puzzled
because GFTYPE runs fine.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks.
  Jim Hefferon  hefferon@smcvax.bitnet

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 12:42 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: variants for currency symbols

I noticed today (en passant) that J\"org Knappen (Mainz) claims that some
of the commercial symbols, eg currency signs, are not needed in roman *and*
italic *and* slanted *and etc etc but only in one font. This is hopelessly
untrue, I'm afraid: a pounds sterling sign is DIFFERENT in all variants
and must be avaiable as such. I repeat (for the nth time: Leslie--WAKE UP)
that the italic \pounds used in LaTeX is WRONG and should come from CMU10
not from CMTI10, unless you are actually setting in italics. I can't think
of many things siller than setting in, say, small caps, and being forced to
use a fullsize bold currency symbol: they must be in each font. What I think
is a VERY bad idea is that some symbols should claim permanent residency
unless they are a part of the ASCII code set (eg dollar$). I know this will
be a pain, but in general, I use \pounds a LOT and \yen hardly at all,
whereas my Japanese colleagues will use \yen most of the time and rarely
need \pounds. The location needs to be defined, but it should default on a
national basis.

///Peter

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 91 15:11:48 HOE
From: antoni bosch <YUPFRSM0%EB0UB011@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: fonts, TeX, LaTeX
I am new at TeX and LaTeX. My question is very naive. I am already
bored with CM fonts and I want to use a variety of fonts. How can I
add new fonts (postcript preferably) so that my papers,once printed,
look like pages of a typeset book. I use a Mac, but I could use a PC.
Thanks.

Date:     Thu, 04 Apr 91 17:09:39 PST
From: GLENNOX%CALSTATE.BITNET@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: dvi driver for HP DeskJet (PC) and DeskWriter (Macintosh)

Would one of you dvi wizards be so kind as to tell me where to get a
driver for the HP DeskJet (for a PC) and/or the HP DeskWriter (for a Macintosh)
       Thanx.
       Bill Lennox
       Humboldt State Univ.
       Arcata, CA 95521
       GLENNOX@CALSTATE.BITNET

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest