[comp.text.tex] Boxes around Slides

cristy@eplrx7.uucp (John Cristy) (04/22/91)

I'm a TeX neophyte.  I am using SliTeX and would like to have each
slide enclosed by a box.  Can a TeX wizard nudge me in the right
direction.

Thanks in advance.

cristy@dupont.com
--
The UUCP Mailer

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (04/23/91)

Here's a slide format that does what you want, but it's not slitex. It uses
a font (culogo) that you don't have & don't need. The code marked XXXX
is what does the boxing.

\documentstyle[dirkslides]{article}
\begin{document}
\pagestyle{cuslides}
%%
\thispagestyle{empty}
\listofslides
\newpage
%%
\thispagestyle{empty}
\Huge\vfill
\begin{center}
	.. title page here ..
\end{center}
\vfill\newpage
%
\large
\begin{slide}{ blah blah }

	this is your slide

\end{slide}
\end{document}

\typeout{ Dirks Slides }
%
%	Picasso project slide format.
%
%	Sample format:
%
%	\documentstyle[picassoSlides]{article}
%	\pagestyle{slideheaders}	% slide header numbers
%	\pagestyle{picassoheaders}	% slide header numbers + picasso logo
%	\begin{slide}			% starts a new slide
%	    \begin{topic}{Slide Topic}
%		... use any LaTeX commands in here ...
%
%		'Slide Topic' appears in a large font with a horizontial
%		rule underneath it. The rest of the document is in \LARGE.
%		You can have more than one Topic per Slide.
%
%		I use \begin{tabular}..\end{tabular} for
%		bulletized items.
%
%		Judicious use of \vfill will center your text. The begin..end
%		topic macros insert \vfills at top and bottom to move your
%		slide material to the middle.
%	\end{slide}			% ends a slide
%	\end{document}
%
%%%
%	Following set sizes to be fairly large
%
\def\@normalsize{\@setsize\normalsize{20pt}\xviipt\@xviipt
\abovedisplayskip 12pt plus2pt minus5pt\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus3pt\belowdisplayshortskip 6pt plus3pt
\def\@listi{\leftmargin\leftmargini \topsep 4pt plus 2pt minus 2pt\parsep 3pt
minus3pt\let\@listi\@listI
\itemsep\parsep}}
%
\def\small{\@setsize\small{16pt}\xiipt\@xiipt
\abovedisplayskip 11.5pt plus 3pt minus 4pt\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus2pt\belowdisplayshortskip 4pt plus2pt minus 2pt
\def\@listi{\leftmargin\leftmargini \topsep 4pt plus 2pt minus 2pt\parsep 2pt
plus 1pt minus 1pt
\itemsep \parsep}}
%
\def\footnotesize{\@setsize\footnotesize{12pt}\xpt\@xpt
\abovedisplayskip 10pt plus 2pt minus 4pt\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus 1pt\belowdisplayshortskip 3pt plus 1pt minus
2pt
\def\@listi{\leftmargin\leftmargini \topsep 3pt plus 1pt minus 1pt\parsep 2pt
plus 1pt minus 1pt
\itemsep \parsep}}
%
\def\scriptsize{\@setsize\scriptsize{10pt}\viiipt\@viiipt}
\def\tiny{\@setsize\tiny{8pt}\vipt\@vipt}
\def\large{\@setsize\huge{25pt}\xviipt\@xviipt}
\def\Large{\@setsize\Huge{25pt}\xxpt\@xxpt}
\def\LARGE{\@setsize\Huge{30pt}\xxvpt\@xxvpt}
\def\HUGE{\@setsize\Huge{30pt}\xxvpt\@xxvpt}
\normalsize

%
\input{culogo}
%

\marginparwidth 0pt
\oddsidemargin 0pt
\evensidemargin 0pt
\marginparsep 0pt
\topmargin -0.75in
\headheight 12pt
%% \headsep 48pt
\headsep 24pt
\hoffset -0.25in
\textwidth 7in
\textheight 9.5in
\parindent 0pt
\parskip \baselineskip
\hyphenpenalty=10000
\newcounter{slidenumber}
\def\ps@slideheaders{
	\def\@oddhead{\rlap{\kern -0.5in\HUGE$\times$}
		 \hbox to \textwidth{\hfill
	\footnotesize {\theslideTopic\arabic{slidenumber}}}}
	\def\@oddfoot{}
	\def\@evenhead{}
	\def\@evenfoot{}
	\def\sectionmark{}
	\def\subsectionmark{}
%
	\footheight 40pt
	\footskip 50pt
	\setcounter{slidenumber}{0}
}
\def\ps@cuslides{
	\def\@oddhead{%
	\kern-0.25in\hbox{\raise0.25in\hbox to 0in{%
	\setlength{\unitlength}{1in}%
	\vbox to 0in{
	\thicklines
%%
%% XXXXXXXXXX
%%
	\begin{picture}(7.75,10)
	\put (3.87,5){\oval(7.75,10)[t]}
	\put (3.87,5){\oval(7.75,10)[br]}
	\put (3.87,5){\oval(7.75,10)[bl]}
	\put (0,-0.4){\tiny[\hbox to 3em{\hfill\arabic{slidenumber}\hfill}]}
	\end{picture}
	\vskip 0.05in
	\hbox to 7.75in{
		\hfill
		\CUlogoC
		\hfill
	}
	\vss}
	\hss}}}
%\hbox to 0pt{\fbox{\hbox to \textwidth{\vbox to \textheight{\vss}}}\hss}}
	\def\@oddfoot{}
	\def\@evenhead{}
	\def\@evenfoot{}
	\def\sectionmark{}
	\def\subsectionmark{}
%
	\footheight 40pt
	\footskip 50pt
	\setcounter{slidenumber}{0}
}
%
\pagestyle{slideheaders}
%
\def\listofslides{\section*{List of Slides\@mkboth
 {LIST OF SLIDES}{LIST OF SLIDES}}\parskip0pt \@starttoc{los}}
\def\l@slide{\@dottedtocline{1}{1.5em}{2.3em}}
%
%%
\def\theslideTopic{}
\def\slideTopic#1{\setcounter{slidenumber}{0}\def\theslideTopic{#1-}}
%%
\newenvironment{slide}[1]{
\addtocounter{slidenumber}{1}
\setcounter{equation}{0}
\typeout{Slide \arabic{slidenumber}}
\normalsize
\addcontentsline{los}{slide}%
	{\numberline{\theslideTopic\arabic{slidenumber}} #1}
%% { \large \bf #1 }
{ \large \bf #1 }
\newline
\rule{\textwidth}{0.5pt}
\vskip 0.25in
\parskip \baselineskip
}{
\newpage
}
\newcommand{\overlay}[1]{
    {
	\setlength{\unitlength}{1in}
	    \begin{picture}(4,4)(0,0)
	    \put(0,4){\unCenteredPic{#1}}
	    \end{picture}
    }
}

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (04/23/91)

/* grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu wrote */:
*
* Here's a slide format that does what you want, but it's not slitex. It uses
* a font (culogo) that you don't have & don't need. The code marked XXXX
* is what does the boxing.

[Impresive TeX code deleted]

It seems to me that the following two-line postscript code to be included to
TeX file should work. If it takes 100 lines for TeX to do the work, then
TeX is not the right tool. Besides, it is easier to modifies things such as
sizes, linewidth, etc.

newpath 10 10 moveto /x 550 def /y 730  def
x 0 rlineto 0 y rlineto x neg 0 rlineto 0 y neg rlineto stroke copypage
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (04/23/91)

XW> TeX file should work. If it takes 100 lines for TeX to do the work, then
XW> TeX is not the right tool. Besides, it is easier to modifies things such as

the TeX code for the boxing is about 4-6 lines (could squeeze it to
2), but the rest of the style duplicates most of the functionality of
SliTeX (which I could never get to work like I wanted), while also
providing a 'list of slides' table & a couple of spare page layout
styles as well.

not only that, but i can preview the TeX code quickly too.