[comp.text.tex] DVI driver for DeskJet500 WANTED

pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) (04/14/91)

I've got a DVI driver for my HP DeskJet 500, but it doesn't work.

Could somebody either:
   - Tell me what incredibly stupid thing I'm doing wrong,
OR
   - Send me a working driver?

This is for Xenix 2.3.2 on a 80386.

Thanks!

For those who want to try the first option, here's the gruesome
details:

The driver "dvidj" was Emailed to me by a helpful person some time ago,
but I didn't get my printer until Thursday this week.  It looks like
the driver is from the "Beebe" set of drivers.

The symptom:

The letters are mangled.  After some fiddling and playing and
thinking...  Consider the letter "A".  As you look accross a row it
goes black, white, black,...  the problem is the sizes of the white
spaces are wrong, each larger by some semi-constant amount (maybe 1/8th
of an inch), so that the character gets sliced into pieces and
distribued over a horizontal area much larger than it should

For example, a "I" gets printed almost perfectly (except for the
spacing caused by the little ``hooks'' (kerns?) on the edges of the top
and bottom bar), but an "M" looks like it was chopped up with a food
processor.

Compliing with both CC and GCC give identical results, and getting
font files from a known good source doesn't help, so I think it's the
dvidj program.

I've looked through the code, but can't see anything wrong.

Thanks for any help,

- Paul Colley
  pacolley@violet.waterloo.edu or .ca     ...!watmath!violet!pacolley
  "Quantum Mechanics:  The dreams stuff is made of"    - Ken Burnside

bhepple@Asia.Sun.Com (Bob Hepple - Sun Asia Mktg) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr13.190511.15438@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, pacolley@violet (Paul Colley) writes:
>I've got a DVI driver for my HP DeskJet 500, but it doesn't work.
>
>Could somebody either:
>   - Tell me what incredibly stupid thing I'm doing wrong,
>OR
>   - Send me a working driver?

Me too - if anyone knows of a dvi->HP Deskjet 500 filter, please let
me know where I can get it!

Many thanks

Bob Hepple

Business Development Manager-Solutions
Sun Microsystems Inc
Asia Headquarters
29/F Shui On Centre
8 Harbour Rd
Hong Kong

| Bob Hepple            |   _____  _   _   _   _ |voice: (852) 865-1688      |
| Sun Microsystems, Inc.|  /____  /   /   /\  /  |  fax: (852) 865-2667      |
| Hong Kong             | _____/ /___/  _/  \/   | inet: bhepple@Asia.Sun.Com|
| GMT + 8 hours         |                        | uucp: ..!sun!sunhk!bhepple|

usys@phoenix.uucp (Uwe C. Schroeder) (04/23/91)

Some people wrote :

> >   - Send me a working driver? (HP Deskjet 500)

Iam using the driver hpjet. It's the driver for the hp laserjet (not plus).
The Laser Jet and the Desk Jet are both PCLIII compatible.
I think it should also work on a 500 (I've got the Deskjet plus).

Hope it helps

	Uwe

submitted by usys@phoenix.uucp  | I don't like getting into heavy petting,
Realname: Uwe C. Schroeder      | it only leads to trouble and seat wetting !!
Augsburg (Bavaria)