[comp.text.tex] problems in dviscr & poorman's

haccme@milton.u.washington.edu (Thomas Ridgeway) (04/24/91)

In article <2562@fornax.UUCP> liu@fornax.UUCP (Lixin Liu) writes:

>Hi, I have a few questions about dviscr from emTeX, hope someone could answer
>them.
> [ 1 question deleted]
>2. I have used poorman Chinese and Japanese macros and fonts with emTeX.
>   I have to use btex.exe to make it works. When I try to display the article,
>   I got the error 2100:DVI file corrupted (undefined font). Same DVI file
>   displayed correctly on SUN 4 using xdvi. At beginning I thought this is
>   because dviscr running out of memory. So I decide to display only two
>   characters. The DVI file generated by btex correctly displayed by dviscr,
>   but error 2100 happened again when I use blatex.exe (dvips produced a
>   correct postscript file).
>
>Lixin
>liu@cs.sfu.ca

    Due to the large number of fonts which may be used --- and most likely
    will be used in any reasonably large sample of text --- poorman's
    Chinese and Japanese (or for that matter any similarly structured
    system which deals with the large hanzi/kanji character sets through
    a multiplicity of fonts, e.g. JEMTEX or jTeX) will break many dvi
    translators which are not expecting any dvi file to actually
    use a significant number of different fonts on a single page.

    . . . "will break many dvi translators" includes _every_ dvi translator
    running on a PC which I have tried so far.

    I would be pleased to hear of any success people are having with
    dvi translators on PCs or Macs which do handle kanji/hanzi without
    going bang.  [No, I don't need to hear about dvi translators which
    succeed in printing kana only].

cheers,

Tom
Thomas Ridgeway, Director,
Humanities and Arts Computing Center/NorthWest Computing Support Center
35 Thomson Hall, University of Washington, DR-10
Seattle, WA 98195   phone: (206)-543-4218
Internet: ridgeway@blackbox.hacc.washington.edu