[comp.text.tex] Latex on Next -- correction

ceblair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) (04/23/91)

   My previous posting was misleading.  I have a latex file which, when
run on an AT clone using PCTeX works properly.  When the same file is
run on a Next, with the dvi file then copied on a diskette, and run using
a PCTex driver for an HP Laserjet printer I get an aborted job because
of a ``missing lcircle10 font.''  I have been able to make it work by
issuing a font substitution command for ``circle10'', but it is annoying
that the supposedly device independent files from the Next and PCTex
are different, with one apparently invoking circle10 and the other
invoking lcircle10.

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (04/27/91)

ceblair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) writes:
>...I get an aborted job because
>of a ``missing lcircle10 font.''  I have been able to make it work by
>issuing a font substitution command for ``circle10'', but it is annoying
>that the supposedly device independent files from the Next and PCTex
>are different, with one apparently invoking circle10 and the other
>invoking lcircle10.

This has nothing to do with TeX or the NeXT.  It's entirely a problem
with the dreaded "stinkin' PC".

Count the characters in lcircle10.  Nine.  DOS can't handle that.

Best solution: trash the PC's and get real computers.

Next best solution: check the documentation for your PC version of TeX.
It may have some sort of kludge work-around to accomodate DOS.  Then you
could treat "lcircle10" as "lcircle1".

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu