[comp.text.tex] What is best TeX for an MS-DOS preview system?

lees@cps.msu.edu (John Lees) (04/28/91)

Opinions, please:

What is the best TeX to use on an MS-DOS PC to test and preview
material that is to be uploaded to a UNIX system for printing on
a laser printer? (The PC is an 8mhz 80286/80287, 1mb available EMS,
40mb disk, Hercules monochrome graphics system.)

Rough draft printout on a 9-pin dot matrix printer (Star NX-1001,
Epson LX-850 compatible) may be useful occasionally.
----------
John Lees, CPS, Lyman Briggs School, Michigan State University 48825-1107
lees@cps.msu.edu, lees@msuegr.bitnet, uunet!frith!lees, CIS: 74106,1324

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.185455.15185@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> lees@cps.msu.edu (John Lees) writes:
>What is the best TeX to use on an MS-DOS PC to test and preview
>material that is to be uploaded to a UNIX system for printing on
>a laser printer? (The PC is an 8mhz 80286/80287, 1mb available EMS,
>40mb disk, Hercules monochrome graphics system.)
>
>Rough draft printout on a 9-pin dot matrix printer (Star NX-1001,
>Epson LX-850 compatible) may be useful occasionally.

Without a doubt: EmTeX.  It's fast, it's debugged, and it's free!
The full set of EmTeX files are found in terminator.cc.umich.edu
in msdos/tex/emtex.

A minimal ready-to-use TeX+LaTeX+preview file system may be found in

	pub/emtex-fax
on
	arisia.parc.xerox.com

It's optimised to use as little disk space as possible.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.

dfr@usna.NAVY.MIL (Prof. David F. Rogers) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.185455.15185@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> lees@cps.msu.edu (John Lees) writes:
!Opinions, please:
!
!What is the best TeX to use on an MS-DOS PC to test and preview
!material that is to be uploaded to a UNIX system for printing on
!a laser printer? (The PC is an 8mhz 80286/80287, 1mb available EMS,
!40mb disk, Hercules monochrome graphics system.)

I have been using Preview from Arbortext on just such a system for
3-4 years and like it very much.

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (04/28/91)

/* ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) wrote */:
* Without a doubt: EmTeX.  It's fast, it's debugged, and it's free!
                                ^^^^
Don Hosek mentioned several times on the net that emTeX ain't as fast
as his commercial TeX ...

I don't know if this has to do that emTeX has no tex386.exe yet ...
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

dan@systech.bjorn.COM (Dan Gill) (04/28/91)

In article <32368@usc>, ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

> Without a doubt: EmTeX.  It's fast, it's debugged, and it's free!
> The full set of EmTeX files are found in terminator.cc.umich.edu
> in msdos/tex/emtex.
>
> A minimal ready-to-use TeX+LaTeX+preview file system may be found in
>
> 	pub/emtex-fax

I have no access to ftp.  Is this available on a system with uucp or
perhaps a mailer?

Thanks

dan
"On second thought, let us not go to Camelot.  It is a silly place"
Dan Gill                              [uunet ucsd.edu]!systech!dan