[comp.text.tex] alternate enumerate in LaTeX

GUTEST5@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (05/01/91)

A while ago I posted this question:
>I want to tell enumerate to use something other than arabic numerals for
>printing the counter. Preferably I want to use letters (item a, b, c and
>so on) but any other distinguishable sequence will do, (Roman numerals,...)
>providing there can be no confusion with the ordinary counters.

These are some answers I got:
Thanks to all the people who responded.

1)From:    DAMRAU@SSCVX1.SSC.GOV (Jackie Damrau)
  I have written these two .tex files to switch the enumerate counters
for special purposes.  Hope they help.

  If you need further help, let me know.

Jackie
-----------------------% roman_enum.tex %--------------------------------
\makeatletter
\def\theenumi{\Roman{enumi}}
\def\p@enumi{\theenumi}
\def\labelenumi{\theenumi.}
\def\theenumii{\Alph{enumii}}
\def\p@enumii{\theenumi\theenumii}
\def\labelenumii{\theenumii.}
\def\theenumiii{\arabic{enumiii}}
\def\p@enumiii{\theenumii\theenumiii}
\def\labelenumiii{\theenumiii.}
\makeatother
----------------------% Reset_enum.tex %---------------------------
\makeatletter
\def\theenumi{\arabic{enumi}}
\def\p@enumi{\theenumi}
\def\labelenumi{\theenumi.}
\def\theenumii{\alph{enumii}}
\def\p@enumii{\theenumi\theenumii}
\def\labelenumii{(\theenumii)}
\def\theenumiii{\roman{enumiii}}
\def\p@enumiii{\theenumii\theenumiii}
\def\labelenumiii{\theenumiii.}
\makeatother
2)From: "Robin A. Davies" <Robin.A.Davies@vulcan.anu.edu.au>
% Here is an environment which is like enumerate except that it gives
% you (i), (ii) etc. If you want [i], [ii] etc. then just change the
% round brackets to square ones in the fourth line. To use this
% environment save this message, minus headers, as something
% like `rmnos.sty' and then list it is a style option. For example:
%
%	\documentsyle[12pt,rmnos]{article}
%
% In the text you use \begin{rmnos} and \end{rmnos}.

\newcounter{temp}
\newenvironment{rmnos}{%
\begin{list}%
{(\roman{temp})}%
{\usecounter{temp}\setlength{\rightmargin}{\leftmargin}}}%
{\end{list}}

% Robin Davies
% rad@vulcan.anu.edu.au
3)From: Koen Vincken <koen@cv.ruu.nl>
These are some simple commands I use to make my own lists:
\newcommand{\alphalist}[1]
{
	\begin{list}{\alph{index}.~}{\usecounter{index}}
		{#1}
	\end{list}
}

\newcommand{\italphalist}[1]
{
	\begin{list}{{\it \arabic{index}}.~}{\usecounter{index}}
		{#1}
	\end{list}
}

\newcommand{\dashlist}[1]
{
	\begin{list}{--~}{}
		{#1}
	\end{list}
}

etc.

Its used as:

bla bla
\alphalist
{
	\item{eerste item}
	\item{tweede item}
	etc.
}

\def\labelenumi{\theenumi.}
\def\theenumi{\arabic{enumi}}
\def\labelenumii{(\theenumii)}
\def\theenumii{\alph{enumii}}
\def\p@enumii{\theenumi}
\def\labelenumiii{\theenumiii.}
\def\theenumiii{\roman{enumiii}}
\def\p@enumiii{\theenumi(\theenumii)}
\def\labelenumiv{\theenumiv.}
\def\theenumiv{\Alph{enumiv}}
\def\p@enumiv{\p@enumiii\theenumiii}

You will need to change them accordingly. For instance, the first item
refers to enumi counter so

\def\theenumi{\alph{enumi}} % will produce a and the label a.

If you want as I described above you will have to change the defintion
of the label.

\def\labelenumi{\alph{enumi}.}
From: Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.ruu.nl>
Use enumerate.sty:

How to get enumerate.sty from the archive at
	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

NOTE: In the following I have assumed your mail address is john@highbrow.edu.

    Of course you must substitute your own address for this. This should be
    a valid internet or uucp address. For bitnet users name@host.BITNET
    usually works.

by FTP: (please restrict access to weekends or evening/night (i.e. between
about 20.00 and 0900 UTC).

    ftp archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
    user name: anonymous or ftp
    password: your own email address (e.g. john@highbrow.edu)
    cd /pub
    don't forget to set binary mode if the file is a tar/arc/zoo archive,
    compressed or in any other way contains binary data.
    get TEX/latexstyle/enumerate.sty

by mail-server:

send the following message to
mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!mail-server):

    begin
    path john@highbrow.edu (PLEASE SUBSTITUTE *YOUR* ADDRESS)
    send TEX/latexstyle/enumerate.sty
    end

NOTE: *** PLEASE USE VALID INTERNET ADDRESSES IF POSSIBLE. DO NOT USE
ADDRESSES WITH ! and @ MIXED !!!! BITNETTERS USE USER@HOST.BITNET ***

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:
    send HELP