[comp.text.tex] glue-overfull box problem

whitbeck@sanjuan.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (05/01/91)

I sometimes have files that produce a line that is slightly too
long, say 5-6pt:

 xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx x xxxxxx xxx  xxxxxxxxx xx
 xxx xx xxxx xx xx x   x x x x xxxxxx xxx  xx xxx xx x
 xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx x xxxxxx xxx  xxxxxxxxx xx

This usually occurs as a result of inline math e.g.
$^{239,240}Pu$ that falls at/near the linebreak.

I can 'fix' it with an \allowbreak BUT it seems to me that
\hglue or \hskip should be better. However everything I try
makes the problem worse!

I consulted the TeXBook and TeX for the Impatient to no avail. The
latter mentions \emergencystretch but our TeX (from ArborText)
complains that it is undefined (maybe it is in tex 3?). I also
tried \looseness=2, =3 but was not satisified there either (at
least for the problem at hand); I really need to add stretch to the
one offending line. But HOW?

BTW in this instance I was using plain TeX (probably 2.??) and the
eplain format. The problem crops up when I use LaTeX however there
I use \sloppy.

I would appreciate some advice on dealing with this problem.
|Mike Whitbeck             | whitbeck@unssun.unr.edu      |
|Desert Research Inst.     | whitbeck@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu |
|POB 60220                 | whitbeck@sanjuan.UUCP        |
|RENO, NV 89506            | 702-673-7348                 |
|__________________________|______________________________|

All academics have the potential for being insatiable...
but the chemists are the most expensive and insatiable among the
expensive and insatiable. - J. Martin in "To Rise Above Principle"

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (05/02/91)

whitbeck@sanjuan.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) writes:

>I sometimes have files that produce a line that is slightly too
>long, say 5-6pt:

> xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx x xxxxxx xxx  xxxxxxxxx xx
> xxx xx xxxx xx xx x   x x x x xxxxxx xxx  xx xxx xx x
> xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx x xxxxxx xxx  xxxxxxxxx xx

>This usually occurs as a result of inline math e.g.
>$^{239,240}Pu$ that falls at/near the linebreak.

Try setting \hfuzz=6pt. That way TeX will think
a line that is overfull by 6pt is still o.k..
(The default value of this parameter is 0.1pt,
which is well nigh invisible.)

Victor.