[comp.text.tex] Citation in footnotes

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (05/01/91)

Ok, ok.  The 'right' way to do citations is the way LaTeX  and Eplain
do it :-) (or maybe APA style).

Sigh.  My daughter's English teacher wants citations done the
old-fashioned way (aka MLA style).  You know, a genuine footnote with
the full citation the first time a work is cited, then the usual 'op
cit' and 'ibid' in italics later on in the same chapter.  Et cetera ad
nauseum.

Does anyone have a style file or Eplain macro to do this EASILY or will
my daughter have to do it the ugly manual way?  (at least the footnote
formatting would be covered).  Something on ymir or sun.soe.clarkson.edu?

I'm a rank amateur at this point (not even a novice :-) and I'd like to
avoid having to do either the manual stuff or write my own macros.

Piet?  -dh?  Anyone?

Oh, ******THANKS!!!!*****

--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (05/02/91)

BM> Sigh.  My daughter's English teacher wants citations done the
BM> old-fashioned way (aka MLA style).  You know, a genuine footnote with
BM> the full citation the first time a work is cited, then the usual 'op
BM> cit' and 'ibid' in italics later on in the same chapter.  Et cetera ad
BM> nauseum.

The bibliography processor Tib can do this. It uses a preprocessor and it
needs a refer bibliography. It could be done with BibTeX (I suppose) but it
would take a lot of work.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

kris@diku.dk (Kristoffer H. Holm) (05/03/91)

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:

>BM> Sigh.  My daughter's English teacher wants citations done the
>BM> old-fashioned way (aka MLA style).  You know, a genuine footnote with
>BM> the full citation the first time a work is cited, then the usual 'op
>BM> cit' and 'ibid' in italics later on in the same chapter.  Et cetera ad
>BM> nauseum.

>The bibliography processor Tib can do this. It uses a preprocessor and it
>needs a refer bibliography. It could be done with BibTeX (I suppose) but it
>would take a lot of work.

Not that much work---I used a similar trick to integrate BibTeX with
AmS-TeX: How about (1) redefining \bibitem[KEY]{REF}{TEXT} so that it
defines some control sequece \REF@ (or whatever) that prints the TEXT
in a footnote and then (globally) redefines itself (i.e., \REF@) to
the appropriate 'ibid' or whatever, (2) redefine \cite{REF} to
generate just \REF@, and then (3) rereading the BibTeX .bbl file
(after the new definitions have effect but before the document) ?

Happy Haxing, kris
--
  Kristoffer H{\o}gsbro Holm                    <kris@diku.dk>
 Computer Science Dept. (TOPPS group), University of Copenhagen