[comp.text.tex] Previewing TeX on a X platform

pwebb@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Peter Webb) (04/30/91)

Thanks to all of those who responded concerning my question about using dvips.
I have now correctly set the mode and am happily printing files.

However, I'd like to be able to kill fewer trees, and preview my TeX
document on my X workstation (a Sun, actually).  Is there a previewer out
there?  What is it called?  Where can I find it?  Thanks very much.

			Peter Webb (pwebb@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca (Harold Tomlinson) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.211938.5826@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> pwebb@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Peter Webb) writes:

   However, I'd like to be able to kill fewer trees, and preview my TeX
   document on my X workstation (a Sun, actually).  Is there a previewer out
   there?  What is it called?  Where can I find it?  Thanks very much.

			   Peter Webb (pwebb@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

 I'm the same way... I hate both killing the trees needlessly and the extra
time and effort consumed.  I've compiled Ghostscript on my Decstation and
it works nicely except that I have not figured out how to get a decent
display from it.  ie. The fonts look pretty bad under Xwindows (as they are
currently defined).

 I picked it up from cs.toronto.edu:/pub/X/ghostscript-2.1.Z

--
# Harold Tomlinson			##	haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca #
# Computing & Communications Services	##	(416)736-5257-33802         #

vojta@powdermilk.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.211938.5826@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> pwebb@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Peter Webb) writes:
>However, I'd like to be able to kill fewer trees, and preview my TeX
>document on my X workstation (a Sun, actually).  Is there a previewer out
>there?  What is it called?  Where can I find it?  Thanks very much.
>
>			Peter Webb (pwebb@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

Try xdvi, available from export.lcs.mit.edu in the directory contrib.
Also, there is seetex (or xtex, I'm never sure), available from
foobar.colorado.edu.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu

markr@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (05/03/91)

> However, I'd like to be able to kill fewer trees, and preview my TeX
> document on my X workstation (a Sun, actually).  Is there a previewer out
> there?  What is it called?  Where can I find it?  Thanks very much.

I use xdvi.  I'm not sure where our people got the most recent version, but
there are literally hundreds of copies on anonymous ftp sites.  Try:-

  cs.utexas.edu (128.83.139.9) /pub/misc/xdvi.tar.Z

Mark