[comp.text.tex] LaTeX verb/nonverb .sty

MJD@MATH.AMS.COM (Michael Downes) (05/03/91)

I recall seeing recently somewhere a reference to a LaTeX
documentstyle that provides two-column output like that in the LaTeX
manual, with an example on one side and the verbatim code that
produced it on the other. I thought I had actually retrieved the file
but now looking around my directory tree I can't find it. If anyone
might be able to lay their hands easily on a source reference and mail
it off to me I would appreciate it. But in addition I think I may need
to write my own version anyway, because I don't want to have to repeat
the material twice in the electronic file (error-prone if you ever
make any changes to the material). This will involve reading and
writing a scratch file, in order for \verb, \index, etc. to be
properly handled. If someone else has already done this I would be
interested to know about it.

The scratch file would be named \jobname.something, where something
might be .scr, .vnv, .dbl ("double"), .rep ("repeat") or .tmp; I would
like to avoid using an extension already in wide use by other
applications, obviously, so would be grateful for any feedback.

Michael Downes
mjd@math.ams.com (Internet)

-------

XITIJSCH@DDATHD21.BITNET (05/04/91)

Michael Downes wrote:

> I recall seeing recently somewhere a reference to a LaTeX
> documentstyle that provides two-column output like that in the LaTeX
> manual, with an example on one side and the verbatim code that
> produced it on the other. I thought I had actually retrieved the file
> but now looking around my directory tree I can't find it. If anyone
> might be able to lay their hands easily on a source reference and mail
> it off to me I would appreciate it. But in addition I think I may need
> to write my own version anyway, because I don't want to have to repeat
> the material twice in the electronic file (error-prone if you ever
> make any changes to the material). This will involve reading and
> writing a scratch file, in order for \verb, \index, etc. to be
> properly handled. If someone else has already done this I would be
> interested to know about it.
>
> The scratch file would be named \jobname.something, where something
> might be .scr, .vnv, .dbl ("double"), .rep ("repeat") or .tmp; I would
> like to avoid using an extension already in wide use by other
> applications, obviously, so would be grateful for any feedback.

I have such a biest as a LaTeX environment, but it is completely
undocumented. I.e., it is fully tested, but has not one line of
comments. -- But it is written in a structured way (not like LaTeX
code :-) . -- So if somebody wants to have it, you may send me a mail.

Please note that it must not be put in a server. I usually don't give
away undocumented sources.

--
Joachim

Joachim Schrod                          Email: xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet