[comp.text.tex] problem w/dvips54 under msdos

drstrip@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) (04/25/91)

(OK, shoot me for not following innumerable previous discussions of dvips. I
only just now tried to load it :-( )

I am trying to run dvips54 under ms-dos 3.30 (dvi files generated by
sbtex34). I am using the version that is available already compiled on
simtel20 in the postscript directory (dated Feb 21, I believe and apparently
derived from the emtex distribution). I have modified config.ps to point to
the correct paths, and I am using a plain vanilla laserwriter, so I left
resolution (-D) set to 300. When I run dvips on a simple file (one line of
cmr10 text), and look at the font files it is searching for, the resolutions
are bizarre. At first they were always .../10797/cmr10.pk. I then ran dvips
while I happened to have another program loaded, but had forked back to dos.
Now dvips tried to open fonts like ...\27<three more digits that I
forget>\cmr10.pk. When I killed the program I was running and ran dvips from
the orginal command shell, I got back the original (wierd) font paths.
In addition, no matter what I put for the -D parameter, I got the same font
paths. Any hints?

Also, the supplied config.ps has an "L" parameter that is not documented in
the dvips.tex file.

Another question: when dvips fires up, if you use the -d64 option, you can
see that it is trying to open files with names like lj_something. Are these
emtex font libraries that it is searching for?

Finally, at one point, dvips tried to open cmr10 at 0 pt. What is this?
Is this another symptom of the same problem that caused the wierd
resolutions?

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice. I would really like to get
this thing running, now that I have a ps printer at home.

BTW, the pc is an xt clone with a 286 speedup board, if any of this makes
a difference.

David Strip
drstrip@cs.sandia.gov (never trust the reply to: field.)

rjl@monu1.cc.monash.oz ( r lang) (05/06/91)

In article <3742@intvax.UUCP>, drstrip@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) writes:
> I am trying to run dvips54 under ms-dos 3.30 (dvi files generated by
> sbtex34). I am using the version that is available already compiled on
> simtel20 in the postscript directory (dated Feb 21, I believe and apparently
> derived from the emtex distribution).
The most recent version is dvips 5.47 - make sure that you have this.
The only known MS-DOS bug with dvips 5.47 is the maketexpk.bat file -
the mfjob file produced won't work because the base= line is misplaced.

> I have modified config.ps to point to
> the correct paths, and I am using a plain vanilla laserwriter, so I left
> resolution (-D) set to 300. When I run dvips on a simple file (one line of
> cmr10 text), and look at the font files it is searching for, the resolutions
> are bizarre. At first they were always .../10797/cmr10.pk.
From your supplied information, I can't tell why it is looking for
such large sizes.
If you sent me a copy of the output of the following, I may be
able to solve the puzzle:
  dvips -d-1  dvifilename

> Also, the supplied config.ps has an "L" parameter that is not documented in
> the dvips.tex file.
These are emTeX font libraries.  They are documented in the dvips.tex file,
but within a TeX conditional.  Find the line '\generictrue' in dvipsmac.tex
and change it to '%\generictrue'.

> Another question: when dvips fires up, if you use the -d64 option, you can
> see that it is trying to open files with names like lj_something. Are these
> emtex font libraries that it is searching for?
Yes.

> Finally, at one point, dvips tried to open cmr10 at 0 pt. What is this?
> Is this another symptom of the same problem that caused the wierd
> resolutions?
No idea.  I need to see the dvips error output.

--
Russell Lang   Email: rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au   Phone: (03) 565 3460
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering