[comp.text.tex] CMR11,14

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) (05/08/91)

In my implementation of emtex using the .fli font libraries there is
no cmr11 or 14, so when they are wanted I have to use cmr10 scaled.
I think that this issue generalizes since neither arbortext fonts
nor the fonts on ymir for the laserjet have anything other than
cmr10,12 or 17 (and sizes smaller than 10).

Now I have always been taught that scaling is ugly and that, say,
cmr11 would look better than cmr10 magnified a half step. So my
question is why isn't cmr11 and 14 in standard distribuions. I can
understand why less common faces wouldn't be distributed in all
design sizes for reasons of disk space, but cmr11 and 14 pop up all
the time in relatively standard documents of mine.

So, is it the case that cmr10 magnified a half step looks as good as
an unscaled cmr11? Or is there some other reason I don't have cmr11?

Apologies if this is an FAQ (F could stand for foolish too!).

As always, thanks in advance

Neal

--
Neal Beck
Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/08/91)

In article <5305@network.ucsd.edu>, nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:
> In my implementation of emtex using the .fli font libraries there is
> no cmr11 or 14, so when they are wanted I have to use cmr10 scaled.
> I think that this issue generalizes since neither arbortext fonts
> nor the fonts on ymir for the laserjet have anything other than
> cmr10,12 or 17 (and sizes smaller than 10).

On ymir.claremont.edu there are several sets of extensions to CM.
[anonymous.tex.mf.ams.extracm] fills in the gaps for some of the
smaller design sizes of some fonts (cmcsc, cmmib among others).
[anonymous.tex.mf.cm.variants includes some large sizes developed
at WSU for standard display sizes. That directory also contains
some fonts which demonstrate the use of the files in
[anonymous.tex.mf.cm.sauter] which allow one to get any design
size for any CM font.

> Now I have always been taught that scaling is ugly and that, say,
> cmr11 would look better than cmr10 magnified a half step. So my
> question is why isn't cmr11 and 14 in standard distribuions. I can
> understand why less common faces wouldn't be distributed in all
> design sizes for reasons of disk space, but cmr11 and 14 pop up all
> the time in relatively standard documents of mine.

It depends. For running {text, design-sizing is usually best,
but for displayed text (headlines, section headings etc.) I find
that scaling is often a better choice (among other things, it
gives a heavier appearance to the text. cmr17 is a bit anemic,
imho).

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu