[comp.text.tex] WORD to latex/tex

ko@cs.cornell.edu (Chun Wa Ko) (05/08/91)

I apologize if the following question has been raised and answered before.
Is there a translator from WORD to latex or tex? for free? at some ftp
site?  How can I get a copy?
Thanks in advance.

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.221036.3573@cs.cornell.edu> ko@cs.cornell.edu (Chun Wa Ko) writes:

>I apologize if the following question has been raised and answered before.
>Is there a translator from WORD to latex or tex? for free? at some ftp
>site?  How can I get a copy?
>Thanks in advance.

This must be a frequently asked question!  I have heard a rumor of a
Word-Perfect to TeX translator, but it was priced over $1,000.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.114216.20756@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu>, edgar@function (Gerald Edgar) writes:
>This must be a frequently asked question!

So frequent, it's in Chapter 7 of the monthly TeX Supplement.

The MS-WORD-to-TeX converter therein is rather crude, but it's
better than nothing (maybe).

As for WordPerfect-to-TeX, there are many independent versions.  Even
I wrote one, though I haven't released it yet...  Just for prerelease
hype...  it is fully configureable, which means that if you want
boldfaced text to be converted as \boldface{#1} rather than {\bf #1},
you can just modify the .CFG file and you're in business.  ACtually,
it comes with configuration files that let you convert WP into TeX,
LaTeX, IBM-Script, and even GML.  I tried writing a troff
configuration, but not knowing enough troff, I did only a half-hearted
job.

[I sent it out over a year ago to beta testers, and they haven't sent
anything back, so I don't know if they've ignored it, or it didn't
work, or it did work or whatever...]