[comp.text.tex] Escapement values???

NORM@IONAACAD.BITNET (Norman Walsh) (05/08/91)

Greetings,
Looking into the format of the PK and GF files, I understand most of
the parameters.  However, the horizontal and (in the long preamble
format) vertical escapement values mystify me.  What are they?  Who
uses them?
                                           Thanks, in advance,
                                           ndw

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/08/91)

In article <3E4729D620005637@Post-Office.UH.EDU>, NORM@IONAACAD.BITNET (Norman Walsh) writes:
> Greetings,
> Looking into the format of the PK and GF files, I understand most of
> the parameters.  However, the horizontal and (in the long preamble
> format) vertical escapement values mystify me.  What are they?  Who
> uses them?

The escapement is how much the reference point is moved when the
character is typeset. Normally the vertical escapement is zero.

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu

XITIJSCH@DDATHD21.BITNET (05/09/91)

Norman Walsh wrote:

> Looking into the format of the PK and GF files, I understand most of
> the parameters.  However, the horizontal and (in the long preamble
> format) vertical escapement values mystify me.  What are they?  Who
> uses them?

The escapements are the width and the height of the character in
pixel values. I.e., they are not the bounding boxes for the bitmaps,
but the values that the reference point on the output device must be
moved.
    These values are needed because they may differ from the pixel
values computed from the TFM widths: A font designer may choose to
overwrite them. This is done e.g. in the Computer Modern family for
low resolutions.

Of course the values must be used by DVI drivers. Or, to say it
clearly: They must not be ignored in DVI drivers. A DVI driver which
computes the pixel widths from the TFM widths instead of taking the
horizontal escapement is simply not functional.

You may want to take a look at the proposed level 0 of the DVI driver
standard. You may fetch it from the Heidelberger Listserver
(listserv@dhdurz1.bitnet, filelist driver) or from mailserv@ymir. Note
that it is subject to change within the next two weeks as I have to
rephrase a few sentences. (But it will not change substantially.)

--
Joachim

Joachim Schrod                             Email: xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet
Secretary of TUG DVI standards committee