[comp.text.tex] latex float problems

gluon%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Sverker Johansson) (05/10/91)

In article <4384@stl.stc.co.uk> "P.G.Hamer" <pgh@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
>I am trying to produce a small document with lots of diagrams in it. The
>text is mainly annotations to the diagrams, so I would like the diagrams
>and text to be interleaved as they are in my ~.tex file. As I want them
>captioned I am using the figure environment.
>
>Yes, I don't really want 'floats', but I do want to use captions and get the
>caption on the same page as the figure.
>
>Whatever I try, latex either floats my figures over the text (often by
>surprising distances) or blows up with a 'Too many unprocessed floats' error.
>
>HELP!

The \clearpage command should solve much of your problem.  It forces any
unprocessed floats to be placed before any more text is read in.
If you put a \clearpage right after every figure, you should get them
where you want them.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated solutions to the problem, but this one
worked for me on a similar problem, and shouldn't take more than five
minutes to try.

                   Sverker Johansson

lsj@quark.lu.se  qlsj@selund.BITNET lsj@cernvm.cern.ch lsj@cernvm.BITNET
DISCLAIMER:  Any Politically Correct opinions, words, or phrases, that
may have crept into this post, are completely accidental and bear no
resemblance to the author's true intentions.