[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #022

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (05/13/91)

TeXhax Digest    Sunday,  May 12, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 022

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

%%Moderator`s note: Apologies for the interruption in TeXhax delivery; we
%%have had some trouble receiving incoming mails.

Today's Topics:

                         Re: Wanted \ifdisplay.
                       Request for conversion s/w
                           fonts, TeX, LaTeX
                      variants for currency symbols
                   Non-English hyphenation and TeX 3.0
                              .TFM fonts
                              Re: emlines
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V91 #018
                        Re: splitting 8-bit pk
                         web2c 5.84b released
                            RE: PK -> HP PCL
                       query about Hebrew fonts
            Splitting an 8-bit PK file into two 7-bit PK files
       How do you insert figures in your book or paper prepared in TeX?
                            TeX and figures

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 09:58:06 -0500
From: "Michael D. Sofka" <mike@morgana.pubserv.com>
Subject: Re: Wanted \ifdisplay.

> I want to define / to have \mathcode"8000 and the following behaviour:
>
> In D and D' modes,  / becomes \over
> In all other modes, / is the normal / character
>

> This will let me type formulas like $${{1/2}/{3/4}}$$ and have the
> proper output:
>
>        1 / 2
>        -----
>        3 / 4
>
> But I can't figure out how to find out which mode I'm in.  \mathchoice
> is not the right answer.

This isn't an answer so just type 'd' if you are not interested in why.

I don't think you are going to find a way within TeX to do what you're
asking with '/'.  At first I thought that a solution would be trivial
(use the height of a cmsy10 character, or a box containing a simple
formula). But, it is not trivial for a fundamental reason:  TeX processes
math in two passes.  The first pass builds a binary tree of math elements.
The second converts that tree to horizontal boxes  (This is a fast and
loose interpretation of the source code, but it will do).  The choice
of style (D, T, and so on), are not made until the second pass.  Decisions
which depend on the math style, such as which font to use
and which \mathchoice to choose, are also defered until the second pass.

Here's the problem:  One of the way's TeX decides which style to
use is the precence of '\over' (the others are ^, _ \atop and \above,
and maybe some others).  You are asking TeX to deside on the expansion
of '/' based on the math style it is in, but TeX can't decide on that
style until '/' is expanded.  I'm not even sure how to go about adding
an \ifdisplaymode to the source of a TeX++ (\advance\TeX by 1?) program.

To best solution is to write a pre-processor that expands '/' based
on '$' and '$$' math, and the nesting of '/' with '^', '_', '\atop',
other '/' 's etc.  If I'm wrong (it has happened before) and somebody
does have a way to accomplish this completely within TeX I'll send
the skillful TeXnician a bag of Matt's Chocolate Chip cookies (by
way of incentive).
						Mike

Michael D. Sofka                   INTERNET:  mike@pubserv.com
Publication Services, Inc.         ATTNET:    +1-217-398-2060
1802 South Duncan Rd.              FAX:       +1-217-398-3923
Champaign, IL 61821, USA.          LANDSAT:   40 05' 42'' N / 88 17' 31'' W

Date: 23 APR 91 17:29-ECT
From: FIONN%DGAESO51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Request for conversion s/w

I would appreciate information on where I can get routines for conversion
between Word or RTF, and TeX or LaTeX; and also nroff/troff.

Thank you,
F. Murtagh
(fionn@dgaeso51.bitnet,
 murtagh@scivax.stsci.edu)

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 11:23:46 +0200
From: schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE (Rainer Schoepf)
Subject: fonts, TeX, LaTeX

antoni bosch <YUPFRSM0@EB0UB011> writes:

   I am new at TeX and LaTeX. My question is very naive. I am already
   bored with CM fonts and I want to use a variety of fonts. How can I
   add new fonts (postcript preferably) so that my papers,once printed,
   look like pages of a typeset book. I use a Mac, but I could use a PC.
   Thanks.

The best solution to this problem is to use the New Font Selection
Scheme for LaTeX.  PostScript support has been done by Sebastian Rahtz
and others and can be obtained from the Aston server.

   Dr. Rainer Schoepf
   Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum                       ,,Ich mag es nicht, wenn
    fuer Informationstechnik Berlin            sich die Dinge so frueh
   Heilbronner Strasse 10                      am Morgen schon so
   D-1000 Berlin 31                            dynamisch entwickeln!''
   Federal Republic of Germany
   <Schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.dbp.de> or <Schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.de>

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 11:16:52 +0200
From: schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE (Rainer Schoepf)
Subject: variants for currency symbols

Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001@IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE> writes:

                                 I repeat (for the nth time: Leslie--WAKE UP)
   that the italic \pounds used in LaTeX is WRONG and should come from CMU10
   not from CMTI10, unless you are actually setting in italics.

Let me note that it comes correct if you use the New Font Selection
Scheme. Who wants to use the old lfonts.tex anyway? :-)

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 11:20:32 +0200
From: schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE (Rainer Schoepf)
Subject: Non-English hyphenation and TeX 3.0

   From: AHLQUIST@METSAT.MET.FSU.EDU

   I am getting ready to send TeX to a user in Brazil.
   Does a Portuguese hyphenation table exist?  If so, where
   can I get it?
      Could someone submit a brief review to TeXhax regarding
   hyphenation tables for non-English languages, where
   they can be obtained, and the status of support software
   for ASCII characters 128-255 which are available to TeX 3.0?

   Jon Ahlquist, Dept. of Meteorology, Florida State Univ.
   ahlquist@met.fsu.edu

It's available from listserv@dhdurz1.bitnet, by sending the command

GET PORTUG HYPHEN

to it.

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 01:12:54 EDT
From: karron@karron.med.nyu.edu (Dan Karron (karron@nyu.edu))
Subject: .TFM fonts

What is the general method of generating a .tfm fonts ? I want to use
gktodvi and it needs a gray,black, and white tfm font. How do you do this ?

What is the mode in mf ? What is the method for creating a scaled font for
any printer ? Do you need a SEPARATE scaled font family for each printer ?
What is the generic mode for a 300 dpi family printer ? What about a screen
previewer at 70 dpi ? I guess I am not certain how mf works.

Cheers!

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |

Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 91 23:46:55 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: emlines

emlines are implemented via a special only understood by
Eberhard Mattes' drivers.
As far as I remember TeXCAD has an otion to switch emlines off.
emlines give straight lines at any angle, not just LaTeX's
angles from the picture environment, but they are inmplemented ONLY
in Mattes' drivers. Sigh.
Perhaps sombody can translate them into tpic specials, which are understood
by many more drivers.

ERICH NEUWIRTH
BITNET (EARN): A4422DAB@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:      a4422dab@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT
Institute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 13:26 +0100
From: KNAPPEN%VKPMZD.KPH.Uni-Mainz.de@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V91 #018

Male & Female Symbols are available in at least two fonts:

cmastro (located e.g. at the aston archive)
wasy (available from listserv@dhdurz1 or from ymir.claremont.edu)

To my taste, the latter are looking better.

Yours sincerly, J"org Knappen.

Date:         Tue, 16 Apr 91 13:49:30 GMT
From: Peter Breitenlohner <PEB%DM0MPI11@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: splitting 8-bit pk

Dov,
I wrote programms for that purpose:
1. TFMsplit takes an 8-bit TFM files and creates a VF files which maps
   the characters to two 7-bit fonts (and creates the two TFMs for
   them).
2. PKsplit takes a PK file plus a VF files as the one created by TFMsplit
   and splits the PK according to the mapping described in the VF.
3. If your driver can't handle 8-bit fonts, it probably can't handle
   VF files either. Here you would need DVIcopy which copies a DVI
   file, thereby resolving all references to virtual font (VF) files.

For all three programs there are DOS-TP and VM/CMS implementaion,
for DVIcopy there in addition web2c.

If you are interested, tell me what you need and how to send it
(should be no problem since we are both on VM installations on bitnet).

Regards Peter

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 07:47:18 EDT
From: karl@cs.umb.edu (Karl Berry)
Subject: web2c 5.84b released

I have released a new version of web2c, the base of Unix TeX.  You can
get it by ftp from the following.  Please use the geographically
nearest site.

The web2c* files are the change files and other program.  The web.*
files are the original WEB sources (from labrea.stanford.edu), put into
the directory arrangement the Makefiles and such expect.

Send bug reports to me.

	ftp.cs.umb.edu [192.12.26.23]:pub/tex/{web,web2c}.tar.Z   [Boston]
        ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.1]:pub/TeX/{web,web2c}.tar.Z	  [California]

Thanks to all the many people who contributed to this release; I tried
to record the names in the ChangeLog.

karl@cs.umb.edu

This updates web2c to the latest master WEB sources, as released by
Knuth in March 1991.  Aside from the usual bug fixes and
(mis)improvements in the installation, I made the following changes.
(TeX 3.14 itself has no user-visible changes relative to 3.1.)

* format files are byte-order-independent, which is necessary (but not
  sufficient) for sharing them across architectures.  If the format
  creates any glue_ratio words in TeX's memory, the .fmt file will not
  be sharable, since it will have floating-point; but the common
  formats don't do this, so they *are* sharable.

* mackay@cs.washington.edu contributed a new SunView driver for Metafont.

* Metafont uses the MFTERM environment variable to figure out what kind
  of display it's on (if MFTERM isn't set, MF still tries to figure it
  out based on the terminal type).

* the default BibTeX has increased table sizes.

* filenames like `foo.bar.tex' are allowed; `foo' is tried before
  `foo.tex'.

* tftopl and pltotf operate silently by default (-verbose to get status
  reports).

* you can specify where gftodvi typesets the overflow labels; and it
  operates silently by default (-verbose to get the status reports).

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 13:14 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: RE: PK -> HP PCL

BooBoo time, I'm afraid. I mentioned a .PK to HP's PCL converter.
No such thing, I'm afraid...finger trouble on my part. What I have
is the HP softfont to .PK converter (ie the other way round) from
Arbortext (came with my DVIHP) and a PD one from Simtel-20.

Sorry for the foul-up. Hope I didn't raise too many people's expectations!

///Peter

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 09:19:13 EDT
From: mitchell%bwnmr4@das.harvard.edu (Mitchell Laks)
Subject: query about Hebrew fonts

dear sirs,
	I would like to use metafont to design hebrew character fonts.
The equipment I have includes an IBM at clone and I have access to a
HP Laserjet III printer. I am using a plain jane hebrew wordprocessor
Einsteinwriter that signals the printer to print soft fonts that
substitute for the lowercase english letters (at least thats how it
works on my epson lq 800 printer). So I probably just need a function
that downloads a designed font to the laserjet. I probably don't need full
TeX utilization - but what exists in this realm. Has someone already
created public domain hebrew fonts using MF or otherwise? Thanks

mitchell laks
mitchell@bwnmr4.harvard.edu

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 17:04:57 -0700
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: Splitting an 8-bit PK file into two 7-bit PK files

That is a reasonably tall order.  Is your driver a PK driver at all?
I can't remember whether PK format was ever a 128 character format.
The only common 128-character format was pxl, and I suspect that you
may be using that.  Alternatively you have a hybrid driver that
irrationally set the maximum character id at 127 even for font formats
that had no such limitations.

In any case, redoing the driver would be a great deal easier and more
satisfactory than splitting up the PK file.

PK format can be read out of pktype.web and several other utilities.
This is as good a place as any to remind people that XXXtype is
invariably a source for the full description of the XXX format, and it
is often made available in conversion programs as well.  PLtoTF and
TFtoPL will tell you all you want to know about TFM and PL formats,
VPtoVF and VFtoVP will tell you all you want to know about VF and VP
formats.  Web source is very generous indeed with descriptions of all
the formats needed for TeX related files.

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 14:39:11 EDT
From: "Teresa A. Ehling" <EHLING%MITVMA@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: How do you insert figures in your book or paper prepared in TeX?

An open query to TeX users:

How do you insert figures in your book or paper prepared in TeX?

What syntax for the argument of \special does the macro package
that you use for figure insertion follow?

We would like to learn just how varied the usage of \special for
figure insertion really is.  We hope a survey of this kind
will prove helpful to those involved in the development of
a standard for \special.

In your reply, as a minimum, please provide us with the following:
(a) a detailed example of the argument to \special for insertion
        of a scaled figure;
(b) the name of the TeX macro package that generates this for you;
(c) the name of the DVI processor that understands this form of
        \special usage.

It would be helpful if you were as specific as possible.  Note, for
example, that there are at least 2 different versions of DVI2PS and
at least 2 programs called DVIPS.  Similarly, it seems there are
several different macro packages called PSFIG.  Please indicate the
computer platform that the DVI processor runs on.

Any references to articles (or FTP-able files) which describe
the macro package and the DVI processing program would be
particularly useful.  If this is not possible, describe the
syntax for \special usage in detail.

We would also appreciate evaluations of the form, "...this way of
using \special is better than any other because it allows more flexible
clipping..." or "...this way of using \special is utterly ad hoc and
should  be abolished...".

We will compile all the responses and post a summary article
later this spring.

Many thanks in advance for your effort and your contributions.

T.A. Ehling
The MIT Press

B.K.P. Horn
MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab

Reply to:  ehling@mitvma.mit.edu

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 14:33:58 -0400
From: vavasis@cs.cornell.edu (Stephen Vavasis)
Subject: TeX and figures

This is in response to your query on comp.text.tex.  I am publishing
a book with Oxford Univ. Press.  I inserted postscript figures using the
\special command in conjunction with Rokicki's dvips.  Here is an
example of a special command I am using:

\begin{figure}
\vspace{3.5in}
\special{psfile=interpt.ps hoffset=-96 voffset=-350 hscale=80
vscale=80}
\caption{A diagram indicating convergence of the main loop.}
\label{pathfig}
\end{figure}

In general, the \special command worked for me, but for most of
the figures I had to manually scale and place them.

 -- Steve Vavasis

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest