[comp.text.tex] PC text screendumps in TeX/LaTeX

hansen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Tom Hansen) (05/15/91)

I have a need to include pictures of text screens in my
TeX or LaTeX documents. (I'll use whichever will do the job)

I have emTeX, and I do have a utility that captures text screens and
converts them to .PCX files, which can be read by emTeX's
\special{em:graph xxx} command.  However, due to the nature
of the screens I'm dealing with (lots of dec. 179 'hash' characters)
the .PCX files end up in excess of 90K apiece.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

One workable solution I thought of would be an extension of the \tt font
to include the extended IBM PC graphics characters, so I could just include
a text file which contains the screen dumps. (but, of course, I don't
have such a font)

haccme@milton.u.washington.edu (Thomas Ridgeway) (05/15/91)

In article <12147@uwm.edu> hansen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Tom Hansen) writes:

>I have a need to include pictures of text screens in my
>TeX or LaTeX documents. (I'll use whichever will do the job)

 .
 .
 .

>One workable solution I thought of would be an extension of the \tt font
>to include the extended IBM PC graphics characters, so I could just include
>a text file which contains the screen dumps. (but, of course, I don't
>have such a font)

  In the UnixTeX distribution, in directory
           TeX3.14/MFcontrib/metafonts/washington
  may be found wnpc10.mf, with metafont code which emulates an IBM-PC
  EGA screen font, including the `upper ASCII' and graphics characters.

  The metafont code is also available via anonymous ftp at
           blackbox.hacc.washington.edu
           in directory pub/ega2mf
   In that directory on the ftp host (but not on the UnixTeX tape)
   are a sample .tex file illustrating use of the font, and providing
   sample code for mungeing the lines together as you will want to do
   if you need to print multi-line character graphics.

   Wnpc10.mf is code generated by a C program, ega2mf, whose source code
   is available in the same directory on the ftp host.  A vga2mf is
   also available.  Several sample bitmaps of PC code pages are present.

   Ega2mf, btw, is the ancestor of the metafont code generator(s) used in
   the Poor Man's language series, by which dot-matrix quality
   Chinese, Japanese, and now Korean (courtesy of Mark Leisher of NMSU),
   are printed using standard TeX.

   All of these are *gritty* emulations of low-res fonts; if the
   original looks sort of crummy on the screen, the metafont-emulated
   output on a higher-resolution device will look just as crummy.

cheers,
Tom