Date: Tue, 7 May 91 14:11 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Horizontal footnotes

I need to get footnotes spread horizontally across the bottom of the page
because there are a lot of them and they're very short. I would prefer
LaTeX because the user has a lot of sectioning, TOC etc. Is there a style
file for this anywhere; if not, is it possible to do it. I would normally
use EDMAC, but while that can spread footnotes, I would have to write all
the sectioning etc by hand, which seems a bit of a waste of time.

///Peter

Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 15:32 +0100
From: KNAPPEN%VKPMZD.KPH.Uni-Mainz.de@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Script font for Lagrangian symbol

In 1985 Michael Spivak wrote (in: The joy of TeX, Appendix F):

<< As we mentioned in chapter 20, a Fraktur (German) font is in the works.
Other possibilities are a ``script font'' with both upper and lower case
script letters, >>

Physicists need such a script font for several purposes. I personally miss
symbols for Lagrangian, Hamiltonian and the Path Integral Measure (script
L, H and D respectively), other physicists need other script letters. Note
that both the calligrafic letters from cmsy and the euler script font are
not the thing we really want. A good sample of a script font can be found
in the ``instructions for authors'' in Zeitschrift f\"ur Physik.

My questions are: Is there a script font for TeX available somewhere?
                  Is there someone outside developing a script metafont?
                  Does someone has single letters (e.g. the L or the D)?

If no positive answers will come, some people here at Mainz will try to do
it. But we don't want to duplicate work which is done elsewhere.

J"org Knappen
knappen@vkpmzd.kph.uni-mainz.de

Date:     Mon, 6 May 91 15:21:42 EDT
From: "Brian K. Higdon" <higdon@ms.uky.edu>
Subject: Need help with emTeX

I'm not sure who to contact or how to contact someone about this
problem, but this seems like a good place to start.  I am using the
emTeX package on my PC.  It works very well, except when I go to print
out a file to the screen or to the printer (a plain-vanilla Epson
FX-80+).  When I print out several pages of text, every even numbered
page is pushed over to the very rightmost edge of the page.  For
instance, page 1 will have the proper margin, page 2 will be shoved
over, page 3 will be ok, page 4 is shoved over, ....  I tried setting
the margins with the /l# as well as the /h# and /w# options, but they
seem to have little effect (the /l# will change the margin for the
pages numbered 1,3,5,... but the 2,4,6... will remain pushed to the
right).

Another problem I have is that when the program prints a page with the
{plain} page format, the page number printed in the footer is printed on
a seperate page.  So for example, page 1 will be printed, then the printer
does a formfeed, prints a `1' then it does another formfeed, wasting a
sheet of paper in the meantime.  Again I have used the /h# and /w# options
but they don't seem to help.

If you can help me thanks in advance, if not could you forward it to someone
who could?  It's a shame to have such a nice piece of software as emTeX and
not be able to get the full benefit from it.

Thanks,
Brian Higdon
higdon@ms.uky.edu

               PROVERBS         PROVERBS         PROVERBS

   To be a performance artist in one lifetime means seven rebirths as a
   stereo salesclerk.

                               -- Tasteful American Proverb

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 15:59:35 EDT
From: karron@karron.med.nyu.edu (Dan Karron (karron@nyu.edu))
Subject: MF modes

I think that I have a figured out mf modes and font scaling. However,
it seems to me that there should be a mode for each display device, not
for classes of devices. The waits.mf file is hopeless out of date. I
did find a mode for the CanonCX, which is wrapped in a number of disguises,
like the HP Laser Jet printers. I think that there should be either
aliases for the printers by their trade names, and that the font
locations should be standardized by mode, e.g., $TEXFONTS/$MODE/pk/size.

Putting too many fonts in a directory slows down directory searches
prior to opening, so that the particular scales of each font should be
in a subdirectory.

The proofing mode of mf makes proofs that are too small for the small fonts.
Is there any way to scale each font proof nicely to fill the page ?

Also, is there any work or interest to make the various parts of TeX
pipeable ? I.E., Instead of a blizzard of small files, pipe TeX or LaTeX
directly into a dvi driver directly into a printer ?

Cheers!

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 09:00:44 -0500
From: mds@mark.stat.purdue.edu
Subject: style file for Mathematical Association of America wanted

Anyone have a style file for the Mathematical Association of America's
8 1/2" x 11" Notes?

Thanks,

Mark Senn     mds@pop.stat.purdue.edu

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 12:52 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Help with EDMAC

% Can someone help me with this one? A user needs EDMAC to handle
% multi-level footnotes, penta-numbered critical texts etc etc, and
% is very happy with what it provides. However, there is one
% unresolved problem: TeX the following and then read on.
%
% He wants the outermost footnote level to reflect the paragraph
% number, as in (6.); within that, he needs phrasal notes (marked
% between superscript I's) as well as sequential word notes, some
% of which may occur within a phrasal note and some outside it.
%
% Can someone show me how to make EDMAC do this?
%
% ///Peter
%
% ---------------------------------8<------------------------------
\hsize=4in \vsize=6in
\centerline{\dots}
\vskip2cm
\centerline{some 5-line-numbered poetry}
\vskip2cm
\centerline{\dots}
\bigskip
6. Is and-sin as-bert $\rm^I$fria$^2$ Dond mB\'o$\rm^I$ in
aidhchi-sin$^3$ r\'e tobairt$^4$ in chatha: `d\'entar lat ar n-airfided
innocht$^5$ a Duind
\bigskip
\centerline{\dots}
\vskip2cm
\centerline{some more 5-line-numbered poetry}
\vskip2cm
\centerline{\dots}
\bigskip
etc etc
\vfill\hrule width1in\medskip
6. $\rm^{I-I}$ fri Donn mB\'o ({\it m\/} subscript.)~{\it
D\/}. \qquad $^2$ a {\it subscript\/}.~{\it Y\/}. \qquad $^3$ sin
omitt.~{\it D\/}. \qquad $^4$ tabairt~{\it D\/}. \qquad $^5$
anocht~{\it D\/}.
\eject\end

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 07:19:39 -0400
From: ramsdell@linus.mitre.org
Subject: c2latex is on sun.soe.clarkson.edu

c2latex is available via anonymous FTP from sun.soe.clarkson.edu in
the tex programs directory.  Some people have reported problems with
indentation in formatted listings.  As near as I can tell, the problems
disappear when the most recent version of LaTeX is used.

John

			       c2latex

c2latex provides simple support for literate programming in C.  Given
a C source file in which the comments have been written in LaTeX,
c2latex converts the C source file into a LaTeX source file.  It can
be used to produce typeset listings of C programs and/or documentation
associated with the program.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1991 22:40:21 PDT
From: Donald Arseneau <asnd@erich.triumf.ca>
Subject: tabs in paragraphs

There was a TeXhax question recently about tabbing to some position relative
to the margin.  I gave an answer based on \obeylines, which was implied in the
question.  Now I have a solution that works ("almost always") in a paragraph!
The only failure is if some text following the tab is abnormally tall (like
a \vbox or a \displaystyle \int or \sum) when it may overlap the text of the
line above.  This can be fixed by inserting \vadjust{\vskipXXpt}} before the
\tabto command.

Yes, the command is \tabto:  use it like \tabto .5\hsize or \tabto{2cm}.
The braces are optional.

%-------------- tabto.tex ------------
% Tab to a position relative to the left margin in a paragraph:
%   some text \tabto{1in} more text, and \tabto 3in final text.
% If the text on the line already goes past the desired position,
% the tab starts a new line.
% Note that braces are allowed, but not required.
%
% Donald Arseneau   (asnd@reg.triumf.ca,    asnd@triumfcl (bitnet))

\newdimen \scratchdim % or use \@tempdima in LaTeX
\newdimen \scratchDIM % or use \@tempdimb in LaTeX

% this preliminary mess is just TeX's awful way of reading a parameter
% with or without braces.

\def\tabto{\futurelet\nExt\tabtO}
\def\tabtO{\ifx\nExt\bgroup\let\nExt\TabTo\else\let\nExt\tabtOO\fi\nExt}
\def\tabtOO{\afterassignment\tabTOO\scratchDIM }
\def\tabTOO{\TabTo\scratchDIM}

\def\TabTo#1{\begingroup\leavevmode
\ifinner\scratchdim=0pt\relax   % in a \hbox, so ignore
\else % unrestricted horizontal mode
 \parfillskip=0pt plus 1fill % must swamp the -1fil glue
 \hfil\null\penalty20 \hskip0ptplus-1fil
 \hbox{\mathstrut\kern\hsize\kern-#1}\vadjust{\nobreak}\par
 \scratchdim=\prevdepth
 \prevdepth=-999pt % make sure I get an exact \baselineskip
 \parskip=-999pt   % but cancel the extra space
 \advance\parskip-\baselineskip % cancel the \baselineskip
 \advance\parskip-\scratchdim
 \noindent
\fi \hbox to#1{\vrule depth\scratchdim width0pt\hss}\endgroup
\ignorespaces}

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 15:12:21 EDT
From: karl@cs.umb.edu (Karl Berry)
Subject: eplain 1.9 released

I have released Eplain version 1.9.  It is available by ftp from

  ftp.cs.umb.edu [192.12.26.23]:pub/tex/{eplain/,eplain-dos/,eplain.tar.Z}
  ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.1]:TeX/eplain

Aside from bug fixes, there are two new (minor) features:

* The .aux file is only created if necessary.  Also, you can say
  \noauxfile and have it never be created.

* The \boxit macro from the TeXbook is included.

For those (no doubt large number) of you who haven't heard of Eplain: it
is a collection of macros intended to provide relatively low-level
capabilities, regardless of how your document appears.  For example, it
has macros to do symbolic cross-referencing, but not macros to produce a
section heading.  It also has some definitions that make it easier to
change the conventions of plain TeX's output.  For example, it lets you
produce left-justified math displays by simply saying `\leftdisplays'.

 karl@cs.umb.edu
 karl@gnu.ai.mit.edu
 ...!harvard!umb!karl

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 12:25:15 EDT
From: aed%arbortext@arbortext.com (Andrew Dobrowolski)
Subject: Re: Non-English hyphenation and TeX 3.0

   From: AHLQUIST@METSAT.MET.FSU.EDU
   Subject: Non-English hyphenation and TeX 3.0

   I am getting ready to send TeX to a user in Brazil.
   Does a Portuguese hyphenation table exist?  If so, where
   can I get it?
      Could someone submit a brief review to TeXhax regarding
   hyphenation tables for non-English languages, where
   they can be obtained, and the status of support software
   for ASCII characters 128-255 which are available to TeX 3.0?

We distribute portugese hyphenation patterns with our TeX 3.0 release.
They were ftp'd from june.washington.edu.  You would probably get the
most recent patterns from there, but if you have any trouble ftp'ing
I will be glad to send you the file directly.

Other patterns that we distibute with TeX 3.0 are: german, french,
spanish and dutch.  I am not sure of the sources for these, but I
think they are all public domain.

The technical problem with some of these patterns, including the
portugese, is that they were created pre 3.0.  Version 2.0 TeXs could
not hyphenate words with accents, so these patterns are "incomplete".
I hope that better patterns will be emerging soon.  They will, no
doubt, use the em font standard that emerged in Cork, Sept 12, 1990.
Our distribution already includes these extended fonts in styles
that correspond to all the usual computer modern (cm) text fonts and
the usual Adobe postscript fonts as well.  So as better patterns come
out, there should be no lack of capability because of old fonts.

As for other support software for the characters 128-255, we have a
complete set of texware for extended fonts and virtual fonts.  This
includes the new vftovp and vptovf programs.  As well we added the
programs aftovp and cmtovp for producing virtual em mapped fonts from
older cm mapped text fonts or from any postscript font with the metric
information available from Adobe.  ArborText drivers are able to typeset
with extended fonts and, more significantly, with virtual fonts as well.

TeX 3.14 and all the support software is available on DEC, Sun, Apollo
and HP9000 (Unix) platforms.  uTeX 3.0 runs on IBM PC's.

  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Andrew Dobrowolski                          535 W. William St
  ArborText, Inc.                                 Ann Arbor, MI
  aed@arbortext.com                                       48103

Date:    Tue, 30 Apr 1991 10:28:25 EDT
From: AHLQUIST@METSAT.MET.FSU.EDU
Subject: Printer driver for HP DeskJet

In TeXhax91.021, Bill Lennox (GLENNOX@CALSTATE.BITNET) asked
about getting a DVI driver for the HP DeskJet running under MS-DOS
and/or a DVI driver for a Mac DeskWriter.  I can give some DeskJet
information, but I do not know about the Mac DeskWriter.

For the DeskJet under MS-DOS, one can get RUMDJET from
listserv@dhdurz1.bitnet.  A copy of this is also available
via "anonymous ftp" on Internet.
Enter:
ftp wuarchive.wustl.edu
user anonymous guest
cd /mirrors/msdos/tex
binary
get rumdjet.zip
quit
Then run pkunzip.exe to extract the files.

You will also need 300 dpi TeX fonts.  It may not be practical to
get these fonts over Bitnet because of the size of the font files.
One Internet source for 300 dpi TeX fonts for MS-DOS
is to enter the following:

ftp science.utah.edu
user anonymous ftp
cd /pub/tex/dosfonts
get index
quit

The "index" file gives further information about what is in the
"dosfonts" directory and how to use the files.  Make sure that you
enter "binary" before you "get" the "*.arc-*" files in that directory.
If you are not using AMS-TeX, the cm.arc-* files will probably be enough.
They occupy 13 files, 12 with 512 kB each and 1 with 9 kB.
Even over Internet, the file transfers are moderately large,
so you should get the font files outside of normal working hours.

The "emTeX" TeX package for MS-DOS contains DeskJet and ImageWriter
drivers and fonts along with TeX and LaTeX and screen previewers.
Without fonts, emTeX occupies over 6 MB in compressed form.
Various fonts are available, depending on which printer driver you wish
to use.  In the U.S., Internet users can get it from:
1) msdos.archive.umich.edu (formerly terminator.cc.umich.edu)
   in directories within /archive/msdos/TeX/emTeX, or
2) ymir.claremont.edu (134.173.4.23) in directories
   [anonymous.tex.ibm_pc.tex.emtex] and [anonymous.tex.ibm_pc.drivers.emtex].

The direct source for emTeX is
rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de (129.69.1.12) in directory
/soft/tex/machines/pc/emtex.

Jon Ahlquist, Dept. of Meteorology, Florida State University
Internet: ahlquist@met.fsu.edu

Date:    Tue, 30 Apr 1991 10:32:00 EDT
From: AHLQUIST@METSAT.MET.FSU.EDU
Subject: Response to query for bk14.sty
Keywords* bk14.sty

In TeXhax91.019, Volkmar Kuhnle wanted to find a "bk14.sty"
so that a document would appear correct after it was
photoreduced by a publisher.  I had a similar problem.
Conference preprints in my field are supposed to be submitted
in a two column format on oversized paper.  The publisher
then photoreduces the manuscripts to prepare the preprint volume.
     I telephoned the publisher and explained that I could
submit a very good looking document in two column format
on normal size paper printed with a 300 dpi laser printer.
I asked whether she could possibly accept a manuscript that
could be printed without photoreduction.
The publisher had seen 300 dpi laser print and felt that
its quality was good, so she agreed to publish non-oversized,
laser-printed submissions without reducing them.
     Obviously, not every publisher may agree to this,
but it is worth contacting the publisher and explaining the quality
of (La)TeX (or WordPerfect or whatever) from a 300 dpi laser printer
and how much more difficult it is to produce an oversize document.
You may not need a "bk14" style.

Dr. Jon Ahlquist, Dept. of Meteorology B161
Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306-3034
Internet: ahlquist@met.fsu.edu

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest