[comp.text.tex] xtex,pageview, dvips, HELP!!!!!!

kalt@nmsu.edu (Kerry Alt) (05/15/91)

 I'm having a world of problems of with any type of
previewer11. We're running openwins.

-Pageview: Any file produced by dvi2ps comes up all as one
page (all pages overwritten) under pageview. One reply suggested
removing the extra %! of dvi2ps, but this didn't work. Any ideas?

-xtex:
For some reason, the fonts created with bldfamily come out with a ..ff
extension rather than a .ff extension. Renaming them doesn't help. Any
ideas?

In general:
Does anybody out there have a working set of previewers for tex/latex
troff etc that works in both the X11 AND the open-look environments?
Any pointers would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Kerry
**  Kerry Alt at The Computer Operations Group **
**  kalt@nmsu.edu                              **
**  ph. 505/646-3645 (at COG)                  **
**          646-5318 (messages)                **
**          524-7247 (home)                    **

darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) (05/16/91)

In article <1286@opus.NMSU.Edu> kalt@nmsu.edu (Kerry Alt) writes:
>In general:
>Does anybody out there have a working set of previewers for tex/latex
>troff etc that works in both the X11 AND the open-look environments?
>Any pointers would be deeply appreciated.

I don't know about troff, but for TeX/LaTeX etc. you could try xdvi.
I've found it to work pretty well.  I prefer dvipage on a sun with a
color monitor, because of the low-pass filtering and whatever other
tricks it does to create its nice output, but it will only work on
sunview or openwindows (running as a sunview program under
openwindows).

I got xdvi from export.lcs.mit.edu (actually it was expo.lcs.mit.edu,
but I've heard that the name has changed to export) as the file
~/contrib/xdvi.shar.Z.  There will probably also be a bunch of files like
xdvi.patchN.Z (where N is some integer) in the same directory, which
(I think) you will need as well.

I noticed that openwindows seems to be missing a bunch of the include
files and libraries that a ``real'' X11.4 distribution has, but you
can set a #define in the xdvi Makefile, and it will leave out most of
its nice user-interface stuff (but it will compile and link
successfully).  As I recall, I had to compile it with -Bstatic as
well.
--
Darius S. Naqvi                    mail:darius@edm.isac.ca
ISA Corp.                          uucp:{uunet,alberta}!ncc!isagate!darius

vojta@powdermilk.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.190013.11853@edm.isac.CA> darius@edm.isac.ca (Darius S. Naqvi) writes:
>I got xdvi from export.lcs.mit.edu (actually it was expo.lcs.mit.edu,
>but I've heard that the name has changed to export) as the file
>~/contrib/xdvi.shar.Z.  There will probably also be a bunch of files like
>xdvi.patchN.Z (where N is some integer) in the same directory, which
>(I think) you will need as well.

No you don't need them as well.  Just the file xdvi.shar.Z; the patch files
are only if you have an earlier version and want to update it (or if you
have the current version and want to go back ... B-) ).

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu

darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May17.030603.15204@agate.berkeley.edu> vojta@powdermilk.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) writes:
>In article <1991May15.190013.11853@edm.isac.CA> darius@edm.isac.ca (Darius S. Naqvi) writes:
>>I got xdvi from export.lcs.mit.edu (actually it was expo.lcs.mit.edu,
>>but I've heard that the name has changed to export) as the file
>>~/contrib/xdvi.shar.Z.  There will probably also be a bunch of files like
>>xdvi.patchN.Z (where N is some integer) in the same directory, which
>>(I think) you will need as well.
>
>No you don't need them as well.  Just the file xdvi.shar.Z; the patch files
>are only if you have an earlier version and want to update it (or if you
>have the current version and want to go back ... B-) ).
>
>--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu

Well, perhaps things have changed in the months since I got xdvi, but
when I got it, I noticed that the patchlevel.h in xdvi.shar.Z
indicated that the patches on export.lcs.mit.edu had *not* been
applied to it.  So I retrieved all the xdvi.patch*.Z files I could
find (I think there were only two), applied them, and successfully
compiled xdvi.