[comp.text.tex] Need help installing TeX under Ultrix 4.1

smw@alcor.concordia.ca ( Steven Winikoff ) (05/28/91)

I've never used TeX before and know very little about it.  However,
I've been asked to install it on our DECsystem 5500 running Ultrix 4.1.

Naturally I'd like to use the latest version.  That's where I'm stuck.

I've tried obtaining source from various anonymous ftp sites, but the
best I can come up with is Web-to-C version 5.84b.  I can't compile
this version; there are syntax errors in several files.

In any case, I'm totally lost.  I don't understand the relationship
between the "web2c" distributions and the "TeX 3.0" distributions.
How do the pieces fit together?   What do I have to do to obtain a
TeX distribution that I can use under Ultrix 4.1?  Is there a guide
to TeX installation that *isn't* written for someone who is already
a knowledgeable TeX user?

Help!!

*Please* email or post, I don't care which.  I really need help on
this one.

Thanks in advance,

   - Steven

Steven Winikoff                                 smw@alcor.concordia.ca
Software Analyst
Dept. of Computing Services
Concordia University                            voice: (514) 848-7619
Montreal, Quebec, Canada                               (10:00-18:00 EST)

sfreed@ariel.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (05/28/91)

In article <smw.675365059@alcor>, smw@alcor.concordia.ca ( Steven Winikoff ) writes:
> Naturally I'd like to use the latest version.  That's where I'm stuck.

Get 5.84b from ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.1], in the directory TeX.
You will need both files

web-5.84b.tar.Z
web2c-5.84b.tar.Z

You might then need some more fonts from labrea.stanford.edu... But that
depends on what you are going to do with it.

--

Steve.                    sfreed@ariel.unm.edu