[comp.text.tex] help!

srt@grad19.cs.duke.edu (Stephen R. Tate) (02/28/90)

I am hoping some kind soul out there can help me locate someone named
John Gourlay.  He used to be at Ohio State (professor, I assume), but is
no longer there.  Someone at Ohio State has pointed me to a company named
ArborTeX (I think) --- does anyone know how to get in touch with them?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Tate			ARPA:  srt@duke.cs.duke.edu
				UUCP: ..!decvax!duke!srt

jangy@sun2.cs.pitt.edu (Younghee Jang) (03/22/91)

 Hi there! I'm correcting my question which posted before.
 I was asking how to make abstract onecolumn and the rest of
the "documnet" twocolumn. BUt it is not for document, it is
for "article". Thus, the title, author, abstract and the
beginning of the introduction should be on the same page.
All the mails I got work producing separate page of abstract.
How can I make it correct? I tried nopagebreak and samepage and it
did not work. The format of the first page should be like the following.

    (title)------------------

    (autuor)-----------------

    Abstract
    -------------------------
    -------------------------

    Introduction
    ----------- -------------
    ----------- -------------

Sorry for my mistake to all who sent me mails.
I would be grateful if you can send me mail directly(not posting)
I am in a hurry and desperate!!!

e_mail : jangy@speedy.cs.pitt.edu

tvz@zandtwerk.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van Zandt) (03/22/91)

In article <10212@pitt.UUCP> jangy@sun2.cs.pitt.edu (Younghee Jang) writes:

> Hi there! I'm correcting my question which posted before.
> I was asking how to make abstract onecolumn and the rest of
>the "documnet" twocolumn. BUt it is not for document, it is
>for "article". Thus, the title, author, abstract and the
>beginning of the introduction should be on the same page.
>All the mails I got work producing separate page of abstract.
>How can I make it correct? I tried nopagebreak and samepage and it
>did not work. The format of the first page should be like the following.
>

>    (title)------------------
>
>    (autuor)-----------------
>
>    Abstract
>    -------------------------
>    -------------------------
>
>    Introduction
>    ----------- -------------
>    ----------- -------------

The command \twocolumn[<foo>] starts a new page and puts <foo> in a
one-column box at the top of the page. If you were to specify the
header exactly as you want it as the optional argument to \twocolumn,
you would get what you want. But

\twocolumn[\maketitle \begin{abstract} <text> \end{abstract}]

does not work because the \maketitle command invokes \twocolumn
itself (thereby exiting single-column mode before getting to the
abstract), and the abstract environment formats itself for two
column printing. To automate what you want, put the following in a
style file:

\def\abstract#1{\def\@abstract{#1}}
\def\@maketitle{\newpage
 \null
 \vskip 2em \begin{center}
 {\LARGE \@title \par} \vskip 1.5em {\large \lineskip .5em
\begin{tabular}[t]{c}\@author
 \end{tabular}\par}
 \vskip 1em {\large \@date} \end{center}
 \par
 \vskip 1.5em
\small
\begin{center}
{\bf Abstract\vspace{-.5em}\vspace{0pt}}
\end{center}
\quotation
\@abstract
\endquotation
\vskip 2em
\gdef\@abstract{}}

This just puts the abstract into the \maketitle macro, so that it
is set within a \twocolumn[] command by \maketitle. Instead of
using the abstract environment, put

\abstract{<text>}

in the preamble. Then make your title with \maketitle right after
begin document (without using the \twocolumn command), and you are
on your way.

I didn't modify the setup of the title, but personally, I find the
extra space at the top of the page and the extra large title to
look lousy at the beginning of a two column document. I would change
\vskip 2em to \vskip -2em, for example.

Tim Van Zandt
tvz@princeton.edu

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (05/28/91)

My experience with the following files:
  citall.mf cmcbx10.mf cmcbxsl1.mf cmcbxti1.mf cmcitt10.mf cmcsl10.mf
  cmcss10.mf cmcssdc1.mf cmcti10.mf cmcyr10.mf cyrcoding.mf cyrillic.mf
  cyrl.mf cyru.mf cytextit.mf has been very painful.

Metafont immediately gives me error messages about isolated
expressions when I run it on the steering file cyrillic.mf, and TeX
won't let me proceed without ".tfm" files.  TeXView compains about a
"design size mismatch" when it tries to run MakeTeXPK, and I get
miniscule dots for characters.  After eights hours of getting nowhere,
I feel as far from "plug and play" as can be.

If anyone was ever able to use this stuff on a NeXT machine, how did
you do it?  Thanks for any help.

Geoffrey S. Knauth                            E-Mail:    geoff@bos.camex.com
Camex / DuPont Imaging Systems Inc.           VoiceMail: (617) 426-7550 x451
75 Kneeland Street                            Reception: (617) 426-3577
Boston, Massachusetts  02111                  --standard disclaimers--