[comp.text.tex] The best 24 pin printer setup?

ronp@cs.umr.edu (Ron Pacheco) (05/29/91)

I am in the process of designing a network in which 24 pin printers will be
used locally to produce draft copies of TeX documents.  This is a request for
information regarding 24 pin printers and drivers.  If you use a 24 pin
printer for TeX output, I would appreciate your assistance in providing me
with the following information about your setup.

If I receive enough information, I will summarize, as this is probably of
great interest to many people.  Thank you in advance for you help.

(1)  What printer do you use?  What does it list for and what did you pay?

(2)  What DVI driver do you use and at what resolution?  What font collection
     do you use and where did you obtain them?

(3)  How is the output quality?  Are individual dots easily distinguished,
     distinguished by looking closely, or nearly impossible to distinguish?

(4)  How fast is the printer?  This information could best be conveyed by
     providing the time required to print a DVI file of approximately 4k bytes.

I appreciate you taking the time to assist.  --Ron

Reply to:  ronp@cs.umr.edu
Ron Pacheco "puh-check'-oh"  8-)                         ronp@cs.umr.edu

zjdg11@hou.amoco.com (Jim Graham) (05/29/91)

In article <2768@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> ronp@cs.umr.edu (Ron Pacheco) writes:
>I am in the process of designing a network in which 24 pin printers will be
>used locally to produce draft copies of TeX documents.  This is a request for
>information regarding 24 pin printers and drivers.  If you use a 24 pin
>printer for TeX output, I would appreciate your assistance in providing me
>with the following information about your setup.
>
>If I receive enough information, I will summarize, as this is probably of
>great interest to many people.  Thank you in advance for you help.

If you mean 24-pin dot matrix printers, please count me in on any info you
get....  I have a Panasonic KX-P1124 (emulates an Epson LQ-2500), and would
like to be able to use TeX with it --- if nothing else, just for drafts when
working on something at home.

btw, as I will be out of town, and away from the news reader for a while, I'd
appreciate a direct e-mail to grahj@gagme.chi.il.us (NOT the address in the
header!).  thanks

   --jim

--
Standard disclaimer....These thoughts are mine, not my employer's, and I'm
on my time...not my employer's.

Share and Enjoy!  (Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, complaints division)
73, de n5ial

Internet:  grahj@gagme.chi.il.us          (NOTE DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESS !!!)
Amateur Radio:
   TCP/IP:    jim@n5ial.ampr.org (44.72.47.193)
   Packet:    n5ial@wb9mjn (Chicago, IL USA)

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.125707.17039@hou.amoco.com> zjdg11@hou.amoco.com (Jim Graham) writes:
>In article <2768@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> ronp@cs.umr.edu (Ron Pacheco) writes:
>>I am in the process of designing a network in which 24 pin printers will be
>>used locally to produce draft copies of TeX documents.  This is a request for
>>information regarding 24 pin printers and drivers.  If you use a 24 pin
>>printer for TeX output, I would appreciate your assistance in providing me
>>with the following information about your setup.
>>
>>If I receive enough information, I will summarize, as this is probably of
>>great interest to many people.  Thank you in advance for you help.
>
>If you mean 24-pin dot matrix printers, please count me in on any info you
>get....  I have a Panasonic KX-P1124 (emulates an Epson LQ-2500), and would
>like to be able to use TeX with it --- if nothing else, just for drafts when
>working on something at home.
>
>btw, as I will be out of town, and away from the news reader for a while, I'd
>appreciate a direct e-mail to grahj@gagme.chi.il.us (NOT the address in the
>header!).  thanks
>
>   --jim
>
>--
>Standard disclaimer....These thoughts are mine, not my employer's, and I'm
>on my time...not my employer's.

>Share and Enjoy!  (Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, complaints division)
>73, de n5ial
>
>Internet:  grahj@gagme.chi.il.us          (NOTE DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESS !!!)
>Amateur Radio:
>   TCP/IP:    jim@n5ial.ampr.org (44.72.47.193)
>   Packet:    n5ial@wb9mjn (Chicago, IL USA)

Well, I use a Seikosha SL80AI (Epson LQ??? clone from Epson's sister
division at Seiko) which uses 180 DPI :-( but still creates very good
looking output from TeX.

As a DVI driver, I use dvie24 which works with the Beebe kit.  dvie24
was originally developed for an Amiga, but compiled without incident on
my little Unix box (AT&T 3B1/7300/Unix-PC).  I would consider e-mailing
a copy of dvie24.c ONLY to anyone who wants it, but you MUST get the
rest of the Beebe kit from an archive near you.

WARNING  WARNING  WARNING  WARNING  WARNING  WARNING  WARNING  WARNING

			Danger, Will Robinson!

I DID NOT WRITE dvie24.c - it was sent to me by someone else who got it
from someone else again.  I CANNOT PROVIDE **ANY** SUPPORT OR ANSWER ANY
QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!!  You're on your own, baby!

Perhaps some kind soul will pick up a copy and make it available on a
nice archive site somewhere.  I'm just a little terminal leaf node on a
UUCP network with no network access.
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |