[comp.text.tex] empty box sizeof another box

woo@ornl.gov (John W. Wooten) (05/30/91)

I am trying to create an empty box the same size as an existing box that
contains text.  The following shows my attempt.  It doesn't work.  How does one
get the length and use it.  I can't find anything like \widthof{} or similar.
Then it would be \savebox{\nulllabel}[\widthof{1990-}]{}
--
\newlength{\gnat}
\settowidth{\gnat}{1990-}

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May30.142228.18865@cs.utk.edu>, woo@ornl.gov (John W. Wooten) writes:
> I am trying to create an empty box the same size as an existing box that
> contains text.  The following shows my attempt.  It doesn't work.  How does one
> get the length and use it.  I can't find anything like \widthof{} or similar.
> Then it would be \savebox{\nulllabel}[\widthof{1990-}]{}

> \newlength{\gnat}
> \settowidth{\gnat}{1990-}
> \newsavebox{\nulllabel}
> \savebox{\nulllabel}[\value{gnat}]{}
> \begin{description}
> \item[1990-present:] Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
> 	Director, Office of Technology Transfer
> \item[\usebox{\nulllabel}] Responsible for establishing the first Office of
> Technology Transfer for the
> university including developing role, function and procedure guidelines for all

Wouldn't it be easier to just start a new paragraph instead of
going through all this trouble?

Definining a new environment which calls list might not be a bad
approach to the problem either.

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu