[comp.text.tex] aln - atree.tex help needed

garym@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Gary Murphy) (05/31/91)

AD> The file \psfig is a helper file which allows the easy inclusion of
AD> postscript files in LaTeX documents. I thought that it was part of the
AD> standard TeX distribution, but I was clearly mistaken.

AD> The easiest way to cope is to remove the commands that mention psfig. This
AD> enables you to print the document without the diagram. The missing diagram
AD> can be printed off separately as it is just a postscript file.

AD> In the future we will be including a postscript copy of the documentation
AD> for people without access to TeX.

AD> Both these suggestions were due to Gary Murphy at Cognos
AD> (garym%cognos.uucp@ccs.carleton.ca); thanks Gary.
AD> You can subscribe to the aln mailing list (where they were first published)
AD> by sending a request to alnl-request@cs.ualberta.ca

AD> Andy Dwelly

AD> --
AD> ***************************************************************************
AD> Andy Dwelly : dwelly@cs.ualberta.ca, Tel: 403-492-7591
AD> !@#$%$,%^&*%,- Listen, who swears? Christopher Robin has fallen downstairs.
AD> ***************************************************************************

This week, I'm just _full_ of wonderful ideas :-)

I found psfig -- or, more correctly, I know where it is and how to get
it but I'm still very much in the dark about how to use it.  If anyone
is interested in this TeX extension, the files are available from ymir
in the [tex.graphics.psfig] directory.

Since I have no ftp (absolutely none _now_, thanks to bitftp :-( ), I
can only get TeX files through the mailserv.  For those in the same
boat, the address to e-mail to is mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu.  Most
directories will have a 00readme.txt to download and nearly all have
a 00files.txt.  My latest step in obtaining psfig was to send the
mailserv a message with the following contents:

send [tex.graphics.psfig]00files.txt
send [tex.graphics.psfig]00readme.txt

I always ask for 00files.txt first as the mailserv will abort on the
first 'file-not-found' error and the 00readme is the least likely to
be found.  Also keep in mind that mailserv can only handle text files;
for binaries you must depend on the philanthropy of some more fortunate
individual.

Honorable mention goes to anyone who can tell us how best to download
an entire directory from mailserv --- my guess is "send [tex.graphics.psfig]"
but it will take a day or two to find out.

--
 Gary Murphy - Cognos Incorporated  | "You think you're human.
       P.O.Box 9707 Ottawa K1G 3N3  |  But what if you've made a mistake,