[comp.text.tex] Need dvi2hp filter

afoiani@nmsu.edu (Anthony "Tkil" Foiani) (06/04/91)

I'm sure that above request is on a FAQ somewhere, but I couldn't find
the FAQ for c.t.tex.

If someone could give me a pointer to a good [pref USA] ftp site where
I might be able to pick one up, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tony
--
Tony Foiani  a.k.a. Tkil  (afoiani@nmsu.edu) or (mcsajf@nmsuvm1.bitnet)
Supporting:  Unix / DOS / VMS / Macintosh / "What's this?"

afoiani@nmsu.edu (Anthony "Tkil" Foiani) (06/04/91)

Woops.  Forgot to mention that my dvi2hp needs were from UNIX
[SunOS4.0.3c, SunOS4.1.1b] to a HP LJ II.

I have received one reply mentioning sources; I haven't had a chance
to evaluate them, so feel free to send more pointers.  I'll summarize
whatever information I receive to the net.

Thanks,
Tony
To: afoiani%nmsu.edu (Tony Foiani)
Cc: txsil!steve%txsil%utafll.uta.edu (Steve McConnel)
Subject: Re: hp2pk - HP font conversion tool posted
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 22:43:02 CDT

> Do you know of a good USA ftp site to get a dvi-to-hp [laserjet II]
> converter?   I'd appreciate any pointers you could give me.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
> --
> Tony Foiani  a.k.a. Tkil  (afoiani@nmsu.edu) or (mcsajf@nmsuvm1.bitnet)
> Supporting:  Unix / DOS / VMS / Macintosh / "What's this?"

If your main worry is MS-DOS, the DVIHPLJ program in the emTeX package
appears to be a good choice.  It's available from ymir.claremont.edu among
other places.  Unfortunately, the sources aren't available.

The DVIJEP program from the University of Utah works for LaserJet II as
well as a LaserJet Plus.  The sources are available on science.utah.edu and
ymir.claremont.edu as far as I know.

TUGboat 11.4 (Nov 1990) reports DVIJE2 as a variant of DVIJEP optimized for
a LaserJet II, and available from ymir.claremont.edu.

Although I've used LaserJet Plus and a LaserJet II a few times, most of my
laserprinter experience has actually been with an Apple LaserWriter instead,
since that's what my department owns.  The department next door involving
with lots of font development, on the other hand, has LaserJet models and
makes their fonts available in that format.  :-)

I hope this information helps.  TUGboat is a good resource--if you're at
all serious about using TeX or LaTeX, you should join TUG just for TUGboat
if nothing else!
--
Stephen McConnel                     PHONE: 214-709-2418
Summer Institute of Linguistics       UUCP: ...!{convex|utafll}!txsil!steve

--

darrylo@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Darryl Okahata) (06/05/91)

In comp.text.tex, afoiani@nmsu.edu (Anthony "Tkil" Foiani) writes:

> I'm sure that above request is on a FAQ somewhere, but I couldn't find
> the FAQ for c.t.tex.
>
> If someone could give me a pointer to a good [pref USA] ftp site where
> I might be able to pick one up, I'd appreciate it.

     A lot of sites within HP use "dvi", a dvi-to-laserjet driver
written in C++.  Features:

o       fast
o       written in C++
o       supports LaserJetII, LaserJetIID, LaserJet2000, and LaserJet+
o       supports double-sided printing on LJs which can do double-sided
o       supports landscape printing for slides
o       handles big fonts, like, for instance, SliTeX dumps
o       supports JTeX - the Japanese version of TeX which heavily
        exercises the font capabilities of the LJs and of "dvi"
o       allows selecting particular pages and page ranges from the
        command line (OK - it ain't clean or friendly, but it works)
o       supports various \specials for dumping raw PCL files - it is also
        pretty easy to add new specials
o       completely demand driven - not even the font info much less the
        info for a particular character is downloaded unless that character
        is actually going to be printed on the paper
o       does NOT send a hard-reset escape-sequence, which allows one to
        wrap anything around this dvi's output that one wishes
o       has cool (well - entertaining anyway) -v verbose mode
o       actually has a man-page
o       the price is right

The ymir.claremont.edu archives has a copy somewhere.

     The only "strange" thing about it is that it requires laserjet
fonts to be placed in odd locations, and be named differently.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo%sr@relay.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.