[comp.text.tex] dvips

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (09/17/90)

I have previously picked up and installed dvi2ps version 3.1 and am generally
happy with it.  However, I recently was given a copy of dvips version 5.37.

Two questions:

	1) Are the *.sty and *.tfm files that come with dvips 5.37 compatible
	   with the ones that came with dvi2ps?

	2) There are additonal [font].tfm files that came with dvips that did
	   not appear with dvi2ps.  These have the full PostScript name of		   the font and are of considerably different lengths.  Sadly, my
	   SYSV-based system only supports 14-character file names and so
	   truncates the names.  What are these files used for and do I need
	   to install them for most purposes?

A more general question:  What does dvips do that dvi2ps doesn't?

Thanks for your help!
--
Bill Meahan WA8TZG		|"The freedom of human beings is not a condition
uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm	|but a task. What an absence of shackles means
				|is our duty to know and to establish our own
"I do NOT speak for anyone	|limits. It is often more difficult to be free
but me, myself and I!"		|than not to be free ...."  -Bela Varga

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/19/90)

Oh, so there ARE 2 of those [dvi2ps and dvips].  The local documentation
referred to one of them but it was the other that was installed, and now
I am confused again [just learning TeX here].

I look forward for someone to review these two program, describe the
difference, and tell where the sources are.  Thanks.

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN-- | Individual CHOICE is fundamental to a free society
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> | no matter what the particular issue is all about.

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (09/21/90)

In article <1048100003@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

   Oh, so there ARE 2 of those [dvi2ps and dvips].  The local documentation
   I look forward for someone to review these two program, describe the
   difference, and tell where the sources are.  Thanks.

ah the innocence of youth... I am by means an exhaustive expert on
these things, but in my short live I have met at least
 - dvi2ps  (in more versions than you care to know about)
 - dvi3ps  (a good attempt at bring together the previous)
 - dvips   (rokicki)
 - dvitops (clark)
 - dvitps  (bechtolsheim)
 - dvialw  (beebe)
which are freely available for Unix people. personally, I would go for
dvips or dvitops - I know of no features than one or the other does
not support. dvips from labrea.stanford.edu in pub, dvitops from
june.cs.washington.edu.

sebastian

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (01/07/91)

In article <139@dogmelb.dog.oz.au> david@dogmelb.dog.oz.au (David Le Blanc) writes:

   Also, dvips541 by Tom Rokicki is the best dvi2ps program I have *EVER*
   used! Just thought I'd say that..

Hmmm, yes, it has lots of good features, but when I last tried it the
printer spent 2-3 times at much time per page with dvips output than
with dvialw output.  That was dvips version 5.02, though.  Does
version 5.41 produce more efficient code?  Have others noticed the
same thing?  We have an Imagen 2308/S printer, and its PostScript
processor can usually process TeX pages as fast as the print engine
can crank them out.  With dvips output, it's a different story
altogether.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (01/08/91)

Harald> Hmmm, yes, it has lots of good features, but when I last tried it the
Harald> printer spent 2-3 times at much time per page with dvips output than
Harald> with dvialw output.

In my experience, dvips is a lot faster than just about any other
dvi->ps program I have tried, *especially* for large output.

dvips works a bit differently than most other dvi->ps programs: it
tries to download all fonts and other postscript setup before it
starts printing. This means that there will be a delay before printing
begins, but after that it prints at nearly the maximum speed for the
print engine (~7.8 ppm on QMS PS/810).

For single page documents this setup won't help much, of course. Also,
it is important to set the amount of RAM in the printer correctly in
the setup.ps file.

Harald> We have an Imagen 2308/S printer, and its PostScript
Harald> processor can usually process TeX pages as fast as the print engine
Harald> can crank them out.  With dvips output, it's a different story
Harald> altogether.

I've never seen such a beast, so I can't say. With QMS and Apple
printer, dvips flies.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?     A: One day at a time.

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (01/09/91)

>>  Also, dvips541 by Tom Rokicki is the best dvi2ps program I have *EVER*

>Hmmm, yes, it has lots of good features, but when I last tried it the
>printer spent 2-3 times at much time per page with dvips output than

If you use -Z, the compressed fonts, then the printer will take a little
longer to process each page.  Also, note that different versions used
different methods to draw rules, and this may impact the performance.  The
pending 5.42 (this weekend?) should work relatively quickly on any
PostScript device.

(The reason that rules are slower with dvips than with other dvi to PS
drivers is because of alignment problems between characters and rules if
rules are drawn with fill instead of image . . .)

-tom

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (01/13/91)

In article <FISCHER.91Jan7182756@thiele.iesd.auc.dk> fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:

   Harald> Hmmm, yes, it has lots of good features, but when I last tried it the
   Harald> printer spent 2-3 times at much time per page with dvips output than
   Harald> with dvialw output.

   In my experience, dvips is a lot faster than just about any other
   dvi->ps program I have tried, *especially* for large output.
[...]
   Also,
   it is important to set the amount of RAM in the printer correctly in
   the setup.ps file.

I presume you mean config.ps.  I took your advice and upgraded to
dvips 5.41 at the same time, and dvips now performs quite well, thank
you very much.  Time to convert to dvips I figure.

- Harald

ng@neutron.mpr.ca (Steve Ng) (03/08/91)

Hello, dvips gurus,

I am currently using dvips version 5.3. I saw someone asking questions on
dvips547 on this newsgroup. Is dvips version 5.47 the latest and the
greatest? What is the difference between 5.3 and 5.47?

Thanks.
Steve.

Steve Ng              INTERNET: ng@mprgate.mpr.ca  or  ng%mprgate@cs.ubc.ca
MPR Teltech Ltd.,     UUCP: ...uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!ng
8999 Nelson Way,      CSNET: ng%mprgate@ubc.csnet
Burnaby, B.C.,        PHONENET: (604) 293-5463
Canada. (V5A 4B5)     FAX: (604) 293-5787

lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU (Binod K. Taterway) (05/03/91)

I could not figure out how to rotate a postscript figure under
psfig/dvips. The figure was landscaped, and I wanted it rotated 90
degrees clockwise. Is there any like packages that is more robust that
psfig, or am I missing something in psfig. In my last report, I had to
cut and paste, like good--old days.

--

Binod Taterway                     |    lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Sr. User Consultant                |    bt00@lehigh.BITNET

rokicki@neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (06/07/91)

These are the files:

        dvips.ps.Z       A compressed PostScript version of the dvips manual.
        dvips54.tar.Z    Old version of dvips---source.
        dvips547.tar.Z   Current version of dvips---source.
        dvipsafm.tar.Z   AFM files for PS fonts---not needed.
        dvipslib.tar.Z   VF and TFM files needed to use PS fonts.

-tom