[comp.text.tex] emtex 360.

nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (06/05/91)

Before I go ahead and download emtex360, I would like to know
what does the 360 stands for: Does it run in real mode, under
DesqView AND still present an advantage over earlier versions
Or does it requiere protected mode ?

Thanks in advance.

--Naji.
    | Naji Mouawad  |          nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu            |
    |  University   |---------------------------------------------------|
    | Of Waterloo   |   "The Stranger in us is our most familiar Self"  |

mattes@AZU.INFORMATIK.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Eberhard Mattes) (06/05/91)

Naji Mouawad writes:
> Before I go ahead and download emtex360, I would like to know
> what does the 360 stands for: Does it run in real mode, under
> DesqView AND still present an advantage over earlier versions
> Or does it requiere protected mode ?

emTeX/386 (*not* 360 :-) runs in protected mode using my own
DOS extender. It works with DESQview. It's a bigTeX.
As far as I know, it's faster than the standard emTeX version
(not big) (even) under DESQview.

    Eberhard Mattes (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (06/06/91)

In article <9106051612.AA26250@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> mattes@AZU.INFORMATIK.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Eberhard Mattes) writes:
>emTeX/386 (*not* 360 :-) runs in protected mode using my own
>DOS extender. It works with DESQview. It's a bigTeX.
>As far as I know, it's faster than the standard emTeX version
>(not big) (even) under DESQview.

Does one *need* DESQview in order to run it?  And does the use of a DOS extender
rule out using it from within Windows?   Carl Riehm.

mattes@AZU.INFORMATIK.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Eberhard Mattes) (06/07/91)

Carl Riehm asks:

> Does one *need* DESQview in order to run it?  And does the use of a DOS
> extender rule out using it from within Windows?   Carl Riehm.

It does not *need* DESQview. It does currently (this year?) not work with
Windows 3.0 in enhanced mode.

    Eberhard Mattes (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)