[comp.text.tex] a4.sty & article.sty

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (06/05/91)

  I am not quite sure how this works, but how does one use the article
format AND the a4 format at the same time? i.e., How can I load
both?

! Alex Krooglik					krooglik@grunt.ecr.mu.oz.au
! Chemical Engineering
! University of Melbourne
! Melbourne, Australia

steve@cs.uow.edu.au (Stephen Cliffe) (06/05/91)

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>  I am not quite sure how this works, but how does one use the article
>format AND the a4 format at the same time? i.e., How can I load
>both?

How about something like:

\documentstyle [a4,12pt]{article}

Works for me in LaTeX on our Sun's, but hey, TeX is Tex right?

Steve.

massa@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Janich) (06/05/91)

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>  I am not quite sure how this works, but how does one use the article
>format AND the a4 format at the same time? i.e., How can I load
>both?
\documentstyle[a4]{article}
So easy!

>! Melbourne, Australia

Why do you need a German size in Australia?

--

   Michael Janich, Uni Paderborn, United Germany

jrm@alpha.ma.adfa.oz.au (John R Marley) (06/06/91)

> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>>  I am not quite sure how this works, but how does one use the article
>>format AND the a4 format at the same time? i.e., How can I load
>>both?
> \documentstyle[a4]{article}
> So easy!

>>! Melbourne, Australia

> Why do you need a German size in Australia?

Because in Australia A4 paper is the standard size for photocopiers, laser
printers etc...   We are more like Europe than the US, i.e. our TV's are PAL,
not NTSC, we use metres, kilometres etc.., not miles and inches, ...

> --
>    Michael Janich, Uni Paderborn, United Germany
--
     John Marley      | Maths Dept, Uni College, |
jrm@maadfa.adfa.oz.au |   U.N.S.W.,  A.D.F.A.,	 |	     =8^)

dak@hparc0.HP.COM (Dave Kruger) (06/06/91)

/ hparc0:comp.text.tex / massa@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Janich) /  1:00 am  Jun  6, 1991 /
krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

> >! Melbourne, Australia
>
> Why do you need a German size in Australia?
>
> --
>
>    Michael Janich, Uni Paderborn, United Germany

Strewth!  Talk about a "Sydney or the Bush" attitude!  A4 is *not* a German
size.  It is an international metric paper size recommended by the
International Standards Organisation.  (And used by most sensible countries as
their standard paper size :-)                                 ^^^^^^^^

Seriously though, A4 paper is derived from A0 paper.  There are several A paper
sizes, all derived from the basic A0 size,  as follows:

	A0 - 1189 mm x 841 mm
	A1 - is half A0
	A2 - is half A1, and so on down to A7 size.

The diagram below represents an A0 sheet.  (It's not to scale, but you'll get
the idea.)

	------------------------------
	|                            |
	|                            |
	|                            |
	|                            |
	|            A1              |
	|                            |
	|                            |
	|                            |
	|                            |
	------------------------------
	|             |              |
	|             |              |
	|             |              |
	|             |      A3      |
	|             |              |
	|             |              |
	|             |              |
	|     A2      |--------------|
	|             |       |      |
	|             |       |  A5  |
	|             |       |      |
	|             |  A4   |------|
	|             |       |   |A7|
	|             |       | A6|--|
	|             |       |   |A7|
	------------------------------

The standard also allows for larger sizes, but here the number precedes the
letter: 2A is twice A0.

German size indeed.   Hurrumph!   :-) :-)

"Strewth", "Sydney or the Bush", and other Australian idiom explained on
request.

Cheers,

Dave Kruger
Hewlett-Packard Australian Telecom Operation | HP-UX:  dak@hpauto.hp.com
31 Joseph St, Blackburn, Victoria, 3130.     | HPdesk: Dave Kruger / HP9601/RG
Phone: +613 8952798, Fax: +613 8989257       | ACSnet: dak@hpauto.oz

keie@cs.vu.nl (Keizer E G) (06/07/91)

dak@hparc0.HP.COM (Dave Kruger) writes:

>Strewth!  Talk about a "Sydney or the Bush" attitude!  A4 is *not* a German
>size.  It is an international metric paper size recommended by the
>International Standards Organisation.  ## flame deleted ##

>Seriously though, A4 paper is derived from A0 paper.  There are several A paper
>sizes, all derived from the basic A0 size,  as follows:

>	A0 - 1189 mm x 841 mm
>	A1 - is half A0
>	A2 - is half A1, and so on down to A7 size.

That is almost correct. For those who wonder what 1189x841 has to
do with metric sizes I have the following information:

	A0 describes the dimensions of a rectangle with a size of
	1 square meter and with two sides the square root of 2 times
	as long as the other two sides.

	This has the nice property that if you divide such a rectangle
	in two rectangles of the same size and if you make that division
	by dividing the longest side into two, that length of the resulting
	sides of the smaller rectangles have the same length with respect
	to each other. (one against the square root of two) etc. etc. etc.
--
Ed Keizer					tel: +31 20 548 5777
Faculteit Wiskunde & Informatika		fax: +31 20 642 7705

tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (06/08/91)

In article <1390003@hparc0.HP.COM> dak@hparc0.HP.COM (Dave Kruger) writes:
	   A0 - 1189 mm x 841 mm

And in case somebody doesn't know, this makes one square meter.

Then there are parallel series of B and C sizes used for envelopes.
An A4 paper fits into a B4 envelope, etc.
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland

massa@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Janich) (06/09/91)

jrm@alpha.ma.adfa.oz.au (John R Marley) writes:

>> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>> Why do you need a German size in Australia?

>Because in Australia A4 paper is the standard size for photocopiers, laser
>printers etc...   We are more like Europe than the US, i.e. our TV's are PAL,
>not NTSC, we use metres, kilometres etc.., not miles and inches, ...

But you drive on the left side, don't you?

rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au ( r lang) (06/09/91)

In article <TML.91Jun7163720@nyyti.tik.vtt.fi>, tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
> In article <1390003@hparc0.HP.COM> dak@hparc0.HP.COM (Dave Kruger) writes:
> 	   A0 - 1189 mm x 841 mm
>
> And in case somebody doesn't know, this makes one square meter.
>
> Then there are parallel series of B and C sizes used for envelopes.
B0 - 1414 mm x 1000 mm

Does anybody know the details about the C size?
--
Russell Lang   Email: rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au   Phone: (03) 565 3460
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering

horst@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Horst Hogenkamp) (06/10/91)

  B0 - 1414 mm x 1000 mm

Requested:
  C0 - 1297 mm x 917 mm

Question:
  A0 is one square meter.
  In B0 1.414 is SQRT(2).
  But where is C0 derived from?

jmehl@chopin.udel.edu (James Mehl) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.161754.27284@unibi.uni-bielefeld.de> horst@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Horst Hogenkamp) writes:
>  B0 - 1414 mm x 1000 mm
>
>Requested:
>  C0 - 1297 mm x 917 mm
>
>Question:
>  A0 is one square meter.
>  In B0 1.414 is SQRT(2).
>  But where is C0 derived from?

$1.297 \times 0.917 \approx 1.893 \approx 2^{.25}$!  Possible
explanation: The Cn sizes were chosen so the new dimensions
would be interleaved within the Bn sizes, maintaining uniform
spacing on a logarithmic scale.  My understanding of these systems
is that the aspect ratio of a piece of paper is maintained as
the paper is sequentially folded in half.  Eventually a sufficient
number of folds will result in a piece of paper which will fit
an envelope with the same aspect ratio.  Perhaps the Cn series
works out better in practice than the Bn series.

ccjal @cc.newcastle.edu.au (John A Lambert) (06/11/91)

writes:
>>          A0 - 1189 mm x 841 mm
>>
>> And in case somebody doesn't know, this makes one square meter.
>>
>> Then there are parallel series of B and C sizes used for envelopes.
>B0 - 1414 mm x 1000 mm
>
>Does anybody know the details about the C size?

B0 is 1414 mm x 1000 mm (the same square root of 2 to 1 ratio).

C0 is 917 mm x 1297 mm which falls between B0 and A0. C sizes are used
solely
for envelopes.

John A Lambert
Director, University Computing Services