[comp.text.tex] LaTeX font selection problem

bjornl@sics.se (Bj|rn Lisper) (06/07/91)

I have a problem with the new font selection scheme of LaTeX. When the old
one was around, I wrote a simple little slides.sty to enlarge text for
use on slides. The code is below:

%My personal slides style file. No pagenumbers and defines a macro
%``\beginslide'' that sets sizes to LARGE. 900926/BjL
\pagestyle{empty}		% no pagenumbers
\parindent=0pt			% no indentation for new paragraph
\def\beginslide{\LARGE\it \LARGE\sl \LARGE\bf \LARGE\boldmath \LARGE}

This works fine with the old font selection scheme, but with the new scheme
I get some bold italic (boldmath?) all over the place. (I of course want
roman as default.) I've tried to fix it in several ways but to no avail.
Anybody out there who knows what's going on and can give me a clue to how to
fix it?

(I'm not interested in SliTeX.)

Thanks!		Bjorn Lisper

texinfo1@rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de (Rainer Schoepf) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun7.155623.9082@sics.se> bjornl@sics.se (Bj|rn Lisper) writes:
>I have a problem with the new font selection scheme of LaTeX. When the old
>one was around, I wrote a simple little slides.sty to enlarge text for
>use on slides. The code is below:
>
>%My personal slides style file. No pagenumbers and defines a macro
>%``\beginslide'' that sets sizes to LARGE. 900926/BjL
>\pagestyle{empty}		% no pagenumbers
>\parindent=0pt			% no indentation for new paragraph
>\def\beginslide{\LARGE\it \LARGE\sl \LARGE\bf \LARGE\boldmath \LARGE}

Not that I understand this. All but the two last commands (\boldmath \LARGE)
don't have any effect since \LARGE resets everything back to \rm.

>This works fine with the old font selection scheme, but with the new scheme
>I get some bold italic (boldmath?) all over the place. (I of course want
>roman as default.) I've tried to fix it in several ways but to no avail.
>Anybody out there who knows what's going on and can give me a clue to how to
>fix it?

Well, in the NFSS with newlfont option, \it and \bf change the shape to
italic and the weight to bold, respectively. In contrast to the old one,
these changes are orthogonal.

Define \beginslide as

\newcommand{\beginslide}{\LARGE}

or use \LARGE in the first place.

Another possibility is to use the oldlfont style option.

Rainer Schoepf