[comp.text.tex] Armenian Fonts for Tex

tyaghoob@claude.uwaterloo.ca ( Tomik Yaghoobian) (06/07/91)

Hello out there,
  I was wondering if any one in this news group can aid me with providing some
  information to the following questions:

         1) Does any one knows of the existence of Armenian
            fonts for use with Tex or LaTex?

         2) If the answer to the above is negative can you suggest some
            ways of making these fonts; i.e. should I use Metafont or
            something else?

Thankyou, Tomik

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun7.145255.17088@sunee.waterloo.edu> tyaghoob@claude.uwaterloo.ca ( Tomik Yaghoobian) writes:
>Hello out there,
>  I was wondering if any one in this news group can aid me with providing some
>  information to the following questions:
>
>         1) Does any one knows of the existence of Armenian
>            fonts for use with Tex or LaTex?
I have not heard of an Armenian.  I try to keep my ear to the ground
about Oriental fonts.

>         2) If the answer to the above is negative can you suggest some
>            ways of making these fonts; i.e. should I use Metafont or
>            something else?

Definitely use Metafont.  Armenian has such lovely thick, calligraphic
strokes.  It would be a super font to do with Metafont.

You get everything you need to use Metafont in the emTeX distribution from
Eberhard Mattes (assuming you use a PC).  Then you need the Metafontbook
by Knuth.  Finally, I would strongly recommend the introduction to
MF written by Doug Henderson.  It is very clear and helpful.  You can
get all these things through the TeX users group.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Dominik