[comp.text.tex] DVIPS/VMS not finding PostScript files

rokicki@neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (06/12/91)

Some versions of dvips under VMS can't find PostScript files because of a
bug in the VMS port.  Specifically, dvips looks in the same place for
PostScript files as TeX looks for input files---or it is supposed to.
Apparently, under VMS, the logical tex$inputs (or whatever the actual
name is) does not by default include the current input path, and TeX
automatically searches the current directory before tex$inputs.  Dvips
under VMS should have the same behavior, but it does not.

The fix should be pretty easy in search.c, but I don't know enough about
VMS at this point to do it . . .

-tom

mako@uihepa.hep.uiuc.edu ("Makoto Shimojima, Univ of Tsukuba/CDF") (06/12/91)

> ... TeX automatically searches the current directory before tex$inputs.

How about prepending "SYS$DISK:[]" in tex$inputs?
For example:
  $ DEFINE TEX$INPUTS SYS$DISK:[],TEX$ROOT:[INPUTS],...

                                               mako
--
Makoto Shimojima

Location    DECnet/ESnet  Bitnet         Internet
UoTsukuba:  UTKBP::MAKO   -N/A-          mako%utkbp.dnet@kekux.kek.jp
KEK:        KEKVAX::MAKO  MAKO@JPNKEKVX  mako@kekvax.kek.jp
UoIllinois: UIHEP::MAKO   MAKO@UIUCHEPG  mako@uihepa.hep.uiuc.edu
Fermilab:   FNAL::MAKO    MAKO@FNAL      mako@fnal.fnal.gov

gaertner@tertius.in-berlin.de (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.053158.6188@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mako@uihepa.hep.uiuc.edu ("Makoto Shimojima, Univ of Tsukuba/CDF") writes:
>> ... TeX automatically searches the current directory before tex$inputs.
>
> How about prepending "SYS$DISK:[]" in tex$inputs?
> For example:
>   $ DEFINE TEX$INPUTS SYS$DISK:[],TEX$ROOT:[INPUTS],...
>
>                                                mako
> --
> Makoto Shimojima

At our site I modified TEX$INPUTS to

   $ DEFINE TEX$INPUTS [], TEX$ROOT:[INPUTS], ...

so that TeX, DVIPS are looking into the current directory of the user
(independent of the disk). This may also preferable if TeX or the user-
directories aren't located on SYS$DISK.

Ralf

---

  Ralf Gaertner                   gaertner@venus.rz-berlin.mpg.de
  FHI Berlin

payne@dudley.stsci.edu (Harry Payne) (06/13/91)

After several tries, I modified MAKE.COM to contain

	$ FIGPATH = ",TEX_DVIPS:"

where you are supposed to notice the comma.  This tells DVIPS to
try the name just as given.  Schemes that used "[]" failed to
find figures specified as "[.figures]figure1.ps"

Harry Payne                           Internet: payne@stsci.edu
Space Telescope Science Institute       BITNET: PAYNE@STSCI
3700 San Martin Drive                     SPAN: SCIVAX::PAYNE (6549::PAYNE)
Baltimore, MD 21218    	                 Phone: (301) 338-4539
                                          ICBM: 76 37' 30"W  39 20' 00"N