[comp.text.tex] LaTeX title/abstract

willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) (06/13/91)

This must be simple, but I don't see how to do it.  I want a
scientific paper basically in \documentstyle[twocolumn]{article}, but
the title and abstract should occupy the full width at the top of the
first page.  (I do not want a separate title page.)  The title comes
out that way by default (using the normal \title{}, \author{},
\maketitle commands), but the abstract is single column.  Something
like \onecolumn without the \clearpage ought to do what I want, but
it doesn't seem to exist.  I'm happy to hack up a style file is
somebody will tell me what to do.

One other tidbit: actually, I want the abstract a bit narrower than
the full width.  I was going to do that with a minipage or perhaps
quote environment, but if there's an easier way, please let me know.

All help gratefully appreciated.
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                 Internet: willner@cfa.harvard.edu

damrau@sscux1.ssc.gov (Jackie Damrau) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.194539.7195@cfa255.harvard.edu> willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) writes:

>This must be simple, but I don't see how to do it.  I want a
>scientific paper basically in \documentstyle[twocolumn]{article}, but
>the title and abstract should occupy the full width at the top of the
>first page.  (I do not want a separate title page.)  The title comes
>out that way by default (using the normal \title{}, \author{},
>\maketitle commands), but the abstract is single column.  Something
>like \onecolumn without the \clearpage ought to do what I want, but
>it doesn't seem to exist.  I'm happy to hack up a style file is
>somebody will tell me what to do.
>
>One other tidbit: actually, I want the abstract a bit narrower than
>the full width.  I was going to do that with a minipage or perhaps
>quote environment, but if there's an easier way, please let me know.
>
>All help gratefully appreciated.
>--
>Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
>60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa
>Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                 Internet: willner@cfa.harvard.edu

There are proc.sty or deproc.sty files located in the /inputs directory
to most TeX installations that contain this type of format.
--
Jackie Damrau, SSC Laboratory
Computer Operations Group, MS-1011,

willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) (06/15/91)

From article <1991Jun12.194539.7195@cfa255.harvard.edu>, I asked:
> I want a scientific paper basically in
> \documentstyle[twocolumn]{article}, but the title and abstract
> should occupy the full width at the top of the first page.

Together, nico@cs.ruu.nl and I have found a way to do this.  It's
really ugly, but it works.  I have no idea how it will interact with
footnotes or other complications.  The sequence is:

\documentstyle{article}    % no twocolumn here
\begin{document}
\title{}
\author{}
\twocolumn[                % note [ for optional argument
\maketitle
\begin{minipage}{\textwidth}  % this is necessary
\begin{quotation}        % narrows the margins a little; omit if not wanted
\begin{abstract}         % prints "Abstract" in appropriate style
  abstract text here
\bigskip                 % skips outside get discarded
\end{abstract}
\end{quotation}
\end{minipage}]  % note ] to close optional argument of \twocolumn

It ought to be possible to do this with style files alone.  Anybody
who knows how, please post or email.  (The earlier suggestion of
using proc.sty does not work, at least in the obvious way.)