[comp.text.tex] Response to TeX question regarding raising a rightarrow

wurtz@iscnvx.uucp (J D Wurtz) (06/19/91)

> From: brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe)
> Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
> Subject: raising an arrow ..
>
>   I've got a case that's illustrated in this line:
>
> -- cut --
> \font\twelve=cmr12
> \font\ital=cmti12
> \twelve
> The limit
> \vtop{\hbox{\ital lim}\hbox{\kern-.2em$\longrightarrow\atop\alpha\,\in\,A$}}%
> exists only when $\alpha$ is a figment of your imagination.
> \end
> -- cut --
>
>   I need to raise the arrow below 'lim', so it's closer to the word. \raise
> complains about being in vertical mode ... anyone have any hints?
>
> Thanks!
> Brendan
> --
>      Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
>   Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

The answer to your question (about how to raise the arrow below 'lim')
is given in the following lines:
The limit
\vtop{\hbox{\ital lim}\kern-.2em
      \hbox{\kern-.2em$\longrightarrow\atop\alpha\,\in\,A$}}
exists only when $\alpha$ is a figment of your imagination.

A better (in my opinion) result may be produced with the following:
The limit
\vtop{\hbox{\ital lim}\kern-.6em
      \hbox{$\scriptstyle\kern.2em\longrightarrow$}\kern-.6em
      \hbox{$\scriptstyle\kern-.05em\alpha\,\in\,A$}}
exists only when $\alpha$ is a figment of your imagination.

These two sets of TeX code work OK, but they are not very elegant.  Things
would be easier if \overrightarrow worked properly within a subscript.
Can anybody else produce a simpler solution?