[comp.text.tex] How to change spaces in LaTeX lists?

maher@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Patrick Maher) (06/19/91)

I'm trying to remove the vertical spaces in \itemize and \enumerate
environments. I realize I could do that by defining new list
environments; but since I want all environments changed the same, and no
other changes, it seemed preferable to just change the default values of
\topsep, \parskip, \parsep and \itemsep to 0pt. Easy as that sounds, I
haven't figured out how to do it.

I tried setting them to 0pt in the document, with no effect. And I tried
adding the following style file as a style option, also with no effect:
\catcode`@=11
\def\@normalsize{\@setsize\normalsize{14.5pt}\xiipt\@xiipt
\abovedisplayskip 12pt plus3pt minus7pt\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus3pt\belowdisplayshortskip 6.5pt plus3.5pt
minus3pt\let\@listi\@listI}
\def\small{\@setsize\small{13.6pt}\xipt\@xipt
\abovedisplayskip 11pt plus3pt minus6pt\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus3pt\belowdisplayshortskip 6.5pt plus3.5pt
minus3pt
\def\@listi{\leftmargin\leftmargini \parsep 0pt plus 2pt  %Lengths here
\itemsep \parsep                                          %changed to
 \topsep 0pt plus 3pt}}                                   %0 pt.
\@listi
\catcode`@=12

Why don't these work? What should I do?

Patrick Maher                                Department of Philosophy
p-maher@uiuc.edu                     University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

texinfo1@rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de (Rainer Schoepf) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.020345.3481@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> maher@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Patrick Maher) writes:

>I'm trying to remove the vertical spaces in \itemize and \enumerate
>environments. I realize I could do that by defining new list
>environments; but since I want all environments changed the same, and no
>other changes, it seemed preferable to just change the default values of
>\topsep, \parskip, \parsep and \itemsep to 0pt. Easy as that sounds, I
>haven't figured out how to do it.
>
>I tried setting them to 0pt in the document, with no effect. And I tried
>adding the following style file as a style option, also with no effect:
>\catcode`@=11
>\def\@normalsize{\@setsize\normalsize{14.5pt}\xiipt\@xiipt
>\abovedisplayskip 12pt plus3pt minus7pt\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
>\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus3pt\belowdisplayshortskip 6.5pt plus3.5pt
>minus3pt\let\@listi\@listI}
>\def\small{\@setsize\small{13.6pt}\xipt\@xipt
>\abovedisplayskip 11pt plus3pt minus6pt\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
>\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus3pt\belowdisplayshortskip 6.5pt plus3.5pt
>minus3pt
>\def\@listi{\leftmargin\leftmargini \parsep 0pt plus 2pt  %Lengths here
>\itemsep \parsep                                          %changed to
> \topsep 0pt plus 3pt}}                                   %0 pt.
>\@listi
>\catcode`@=12
>
>Why don't these work? What should I do?
>
>Patrick Maher                                Department of Philosophy
>p-maher@uiuc.edu                     University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

You should define \@listI instead of \@listi. See for example art10.doc
from where I extracted the following lines:

% \@listI defines top level and \@listi values of
% \leftmargin, \topsep, \parsep, and \itemsep
% (Added 9 Jun 87)
\def\@listI{\leftmargin\leftmargini \parsep 4pt plus 2pt minus 1pt%
\topsep 8pt plus 2pt minus 4pt%
\itemsep 4pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}