[comp.text.tex] emTeX: dviscr and dvips problems

phil@waikato.ac.nz (Phil Etheridge) (06/17/91)

I've installed emTeX as per the instructions included with it.  TeX
works fine, but I can't get either dviscr or dvips to work.  Both
problems are related to fonts.  Neither seems to be able to find any
of the Computer Modern fonts.  An example of error messages for each
(both gave many errors):

dviscr:

warning 1205 font cmsl10 [\emtex\pixel.lj\$rdpi\cmsl10<360>] not found

dvips:

C:\EMTEX\DVIPS.EXE: Font cmr7.360pk not found,
characters will be left blank
-MakeTeXPK cmr 360 300 1.200000000
Run mfjob dvips

I hoping there is an easy fix for this problem -- I saw a similar
problem for a HP LaserJet user was fixed by referring to these fonts,
but that didn't seem to be appropriate for Computer Modern fonts
printing to a PostScript printer.

--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)              Phax:  +64 +71 384 155
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics       Phone: +64 +71 568 299 x 8339

tozz@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe) (06/20/91)

> / hpindda:comp.text.tex / phil@waikato.ac.nz (Phil Etheridge) /  2:45 pm  Jun 16, 1991 /
> I've installed emTeX as per the instructions included with it.  TeX
> works fine, but I can't get either dviscr or dvips to work.  Both
> problems are related to fonts.  Neither seems to be able to find any
> of the Computer Modern fonts.  An example of error messages for each
> (both gave many errors):
>
> dviscr:
>
> warning 1205 font cmsl10 [\emtex\pixel.lj\$rdpi\cmsl10<360>] not found
>
> dvips:
>
> C:\EMTEX\DVIPS.EXE: Font cmr7.360pk not found,
> characters will be left blank
> -MakeTeXPK cmr 360 300 1.200000000
> Run mfjob dvips
>
> I hoping there is an easy fix for this problem -- I saw a similar
> problem for a HP LaserJet user was fixed by referring to these fonts,
> but that didn't seem to be appropriate for Computer Modern fonts
> printing to a PostScript printer.

I had the same problem too. My mistake was that I thought that some default
fonts CAME with the distribution disks for EmTeX. This (apparently?) is not
the case. If you don't have any files with the .FLI extension, this is the
problem. Go back to your anonymous ftp site and get the font files.

Since I have used EmTeX for only two days, so far, (and am happy beyond
my dreams) there's a lot I still don't know, but dviscr apparently uses
the hp laserjet fonts (lj*.fli). You should also get your favorite
printer's fonts too (check the documentation, it tells you what's around).

Kudos to the people who put EmTeX together. Thanks!!

				   tozz

tims@infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) (06/22/91)

From: tozz@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe)

> / hpindda:comp.text.tex / phil@waikato.ac.nz (Phil Etheridge) /  2:45 pm  Jun 16, 1991 /
> I've installed emTeX as per the instructions included with it.  TeX
> works fine, but I can't get either dviscr or dvips to work.  Both
> problems are related to fonts.  Neither seems to be able to find any
> of the Computer Modern fonts.  An example of error messages for each
> (both gave many errors):
>
> dviscr:
>
> warning 1205 font cmsl10 [\emtex\pixel.lj\$rdpi\cmsl10<360>] not found
>
> dvips:
>
> C:\EMTEX\DVIPS.EXE: Font cmr7.360pk not found,
> characters will be left blank
> -MakeTeXPK cmr 360 300 1.200000000
> Run mfjob dvips
>
> I hoping there is an easy fix for this problem -- I saw a similar
> problem for a HP LaserJet user was fixed by referring to these fonts,
> but that didn't seem to be appropriate for Computer Modern fonts
> printing to a PostScript printer.

I had the same problem too. My mistake was that I thought that some default
fonts CAME with the distribution disks for EmTeX. This (apparently?) is not
the case. If you don't have any files with the .FLI extension, this is the
problem. Go back to your anonymous ftp site and get the font files.

Since I have used EmTeX for only two days, so far, (and am happy beyond
my dreams) there's a lot I still don't know, but dviscr apparently uses
the hp laserjet fonts (lj*.fli). You should also get your favorite
printer's fonts too (check the documentation, it tells you what's around).

Kudos to the people who put EmTeX together. Thanks!!

				   tozz

I write:

Good answer to the original question and probably right, but inludes a
misconception. dviscr does not specifically need the laserjet fonts,
it will work with the fx fonts as well (and probably the others, I
just have experience with the fx fonts). So you don't need more than
one set of fonts, just get the appropriate font set for your printer
and dviscr will use those. dviscr does have a config file that must be
changed to tell it what fonts you have, though. (It comes set up for the
laserjet fonts, the probable source of the misconception.)

My kudos also to the author of emTeX. It is a truly professional
package.

Tim Sullivan (tims@goshawk.lanl.gov)

jon@sed.stel.com (Jon Radel) (06/22/91)

In article <47850007@hpindda.cup.hp.com> tozz@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe) writes:
<much deleted>
>I had the same problem too. My mistake was that I thought that some default
>fonts CAME with the distribution disks for EmTeX. This (apparently?) is not
>the case. If you don't have any files with the .FLI extension, this is the
>problem. Go back to your anonymous ftp site and get the font files.

Correct, no pixel font files ship with the base 6 disks of emTeX.  Moreover,
many archive sites don't bother carrying them, as they are very large and
you can create them yourself; everything you need comes with emTeX.  It's
all explained (somewhere) in the documentation.  ;-)

--
--Jon Radel                                jon@radel.com
  P.O. Box 2276                            uupsi!radel!jon

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (06/22/91)

In article <47850007@hpindda.cup.hp.com> tozz@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe) writes:

>Since I have used EmTeX for only two days, so far, (and am happy beyond
>my dreams) there's a lot I still don't know, but dviscr apparently uses
>the hp laserjet fonts (lj*.fli). You should also get your favorite
>printer's fonts too (check the documentation, it tells you what's around).

It is not necessary to have different fonts (*.fli files) for your
printer and your screen.  The dviscr program can be told to use
whatever printer fonts you already have.  Just get one set, at the
correct resolution for your printer.

>Kudos to the people who put EmTeX together. Thanks!!

Hear, hear!  To all those Eberhard Matteses!  :)

Dominik