[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #026

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (06/23/91)

TeXhax Digest    Saturday,  June 22, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 026

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

%%Moderator's note: We THINK all the mail problems are behind us now.
%%Thank you for your patience.

Today's Topics:

                            art14 - a summary
                         TeX on IBM AIX system.
                              Help! dvips?
                  Bibliography at the end of chapters
             Limit subscripts and boxes losing information
                      UWashington cyrillic fonts...
            Where do I find info on new 8 bit font layout?
              Q and A session at the summer TUG meeting
                            CALL FOR DTP PAPERS

Date: Fri, 17 May 1991 11:24:56 GMT+1
From: tex@ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de (Volkmar Kuhnle - TeX Manager)
Subject: art14 - a summary

From my request for a bk14 style file, I received more answers
than I ever expected. Therefore, I'd like to thank all the people
who gave me hints. A personal response is not possible due to the
sheer number of answers I got.

The first message that reached me suggested to simply say
"\large" at the beginning of the document. But that doesn't work
correctly, since the font size in footnotes and formulas remains
unchanged.

One of the next mesages came from Michael Barr. He provided me with
an art14.sty which I could easily modify to create a bk14.sty. To
be exact: it is a 14.4pt style, since Michael used \magstep2 to
rescale the fonts.

After this step, the colleague of mine who needed bk14 for his Ph.D.
thesis found out that it would be better to have an bk13.sty, which I
then designed, too.

Some other guys (whose names I have forgotten) suggested to go another
way to produce 14pt output:

1. Write your document in 10pt and modify the page sizes to DIN A5

2. Print out the document with dvips using /magnification=1400.
   You'll get 14pt output on DIN A4 paper.

3. For the final version of the Ph.D. thesis, the printout will be
   reduced again down to 70\%. The result is - 10pt writing on DIN A5 paper.

This is a better way, since in the font magnification process, the height
of a letter is changed not the same way its width is modified. Therefore,
a 10pt font scaled \magstep2 looks different than a "true" 14pt font.
I learned this after I had done all the work with bk14 and bk13. Thanks
to all the people who explained it to me.

But I still wonder what all the folks without postscript printers can do,
since most dvi drivers do not support the \magnification qualifier (or
similiar commands).

BTW: Michael also noted that in the current versions of art11.sty and
art12.sty, the math and line fonts are not changed in size, and therefore
things don't scale right. I suggest to correct this bug in future
versions of art11 and art12 (if it hasn't been done already).

Volkmar Kuhnle
TeX Manager
tex@aitxu2.ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
psjeka1@zmcon2.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 12:27:17 +0300
From: Rama Porat <rama@shum.huji.ac.il>
Subject: TeX on IBM AIX system.

 I have tried to install TeX on a workstation called IBM 8508.
 The operating system is IBM AIX Version 3, for RISC System/6000.
 I got a TeX which creates about one output page for each input character.
 Does anybody know something which can help?
Thanx!   --   rama@shum.huji.ac.il

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 18:33 MST
From: Pete Klammer 303/556-3915 <PKLAMMER@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu>
Subject: Help! dvips?

If anyone has DVIPS or DVIPSNEW working on VMS, please let me know ...

My latest error message, from trying to do '$ dvips dvips' is:
	DVIPS%ERROR: ! Couldn't find header file tex.pro
Even though I have a tex.pro both in tex_inputs as well as current directory!

But with '$ dvips test' it is even worse: it can't find some fonts, so
it runs MAKETEXPK.COM, which aborts rather silently, and then I get more
error messages from DVIPS about postscript fonts {fontname}.300pk, .600pk, etc.
This is not consonant with the VMS directory scheme, where fonts are found
in [.300]{fontname}.pk, [.600]..., etc.  I'm confused.

--poko "Eesti vabaks=Free Estonia!" Pete Klammer (303)556-3915 FAX(303)556-4822
CU-Denver Computing Services, AHEC Box#169   ///       PKLAMMER@CUDENVER.bitnet
1200 Larimer St, NC2506, Denver CO 80204  ///    {uucp}!boulder!copper!pklammer
P.O. Box 173364, Denver CO 80217-3364  ///  pklammer@cudnvr.Denver.Colorado.EDU

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 08:47:35 BR
From: Jose' Reynaldo Setti <SETTI%BRUSPSCE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Bibliography at the end of chapters

I am curious to know if there is a way of inserting a bibliography at
the end of a chapter, when using the report style in LaTeX.
and BibTeX. So far, all I got was a bibliography which included
all the references in the preceding chapters. Granted, I really
didn't try it hard---I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.

Any suggestions?

Jose' Reynaldo A. Setti                        Universidade de Sao Paulo
Departamento de Transportes           Escola de Engenharia de Sao Carlos
                                            Av. Dr. Carlos Botelho, 1465
SETTI@BRUSPSCE.BITNET                           13.560 - Sao Carlos - SP
SETTI%BRUSPSCE.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu           Fone: (0162)72-6222 r.3176
                                              Fax:  (0162)71-9241
 ---- BITNET SUX. IBM SUX, TOO ----            Residencia:  (0162)72-1038

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 19:46:18 +0200
From: Alan Jeffrey <jeffrey@cs.chalmers.se>
Subject: Limit subscripts and boxes losing information

I posted this request to comp.text.tex and got only one reply (thanks
Larry, especially for the wonderful word `malfeature'), so I'll try
again in TeXhax...  Sorry folks...

If I set a box to be something fairly tall (like a 2cm hrule for
example), and then smash it's height and depth

   \setbox0\hbox{\vrule height1cm depth 1cm}
   \ht0pt
   \dp0pt

I now have a box with height and depth 0pt, so if I use it as a
superscript of a limited mathop,

   $$ \lim^{\box0} $$

I'd expect to get something like

    l|m

whereas actually what I get is

    lim

that is {\em the height and depth of the box have been restored\/}!

So, your starter for ten (or the $64,000 question, if you're from the
other side of the pond) is...  Why is this, and is it a malfeature?

It's certainly confusing... I lost about a day trying to track down a
bug in my TeX code that came down to this.

Alan.

Alan Jeffrey         Tel: +46 31 72 10 98         jeffrey@cs.chalmers.se
Department of Computer Sciences, Chalmers University, Gothenburg, Sweden

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 14:40:54 PDT
From: leo@ai-cyclops.JPL.NASA.GOV (Leonid V. Belyaev)
Subject: UWashington cyrillic fonts...

Does anyone have latex styles and transliteration table for the
UWashington cyrillic fonts?  I still haven't figured out how to
use those font files.

Please e-mail your reply to <leo@ai-cyclops.JPL.NASA.GOV>

Date:       Mon May 13 21:28:52 GMT 1991
From: gtoal%tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject:    Where do I find info on new 8 bit font layout?

My workmate who is the TeX maintainer at my office is revamping
our font system; he wants it to be compatible with the new 8-bit
layout for TeX3.  I don't know anything about this layout -- any
pointers?  I presume there's a committee handling it?

Thanks
Graham Toal <gtoal@ed.ac.uk>

Date: 14 May 91  9:01 -0500
From: Michael Doob <mdoob@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: Q and A session at the summer TUG meeting

   Everything you wanted to know about TeX and were afraid to ask

First in California, then in Texas, and now it's coming to the East
Coast.  It's time to set your sights on Dedham, Massachusetts. The
inimitable Barbara Beeton will run her famous question and answer
session once again this July 15-18 during the TeX Users Group meeting.
All questions are answered, from the most straightforward to the most
subtle.  Do you have a question to contribute? Is there a TeX problem
that you've never been able to solve, and have never known where to
turn? Is there a quick fix solution that you want to repair -- this
time the right way? Then let's hear from you.

Send in your question in the following way: send email to

TUG-Q@TAMVM1.BITNET

or to

TUG-Q@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU

Your questions will be automatically forwarded to the proper destination.

Date:    Mon, 20 May 91 15:45 CET
From: U01105%FRCCSC21.BITNET@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: CALL FOR DTP PAPERS

                     COLLOQUIUM on

                   DESKTOP  PUBLISHING

           in  ASTRONOMY  and  SPACE  SCIENCES

                 FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

               DEADLINE:   15  JULY  1991

*                                                               *
*                                                               *
*                       PLEASE  POST                            *
*                                                               *
*                                                               *

                   DESKTOP  PUBLISHING

           in  ASTRONOMY  and  SPACE  SCIENCES

          (Strasbourg Astronomical Observatory)

                   (1 - 3 October 1991)

           ===================================

Strasbourg Astronomical Observatory will be organizing from Oct. 1 to 3,
1991, a meeting on 'Desktop Publishing in Astronomy and Space Sciences'.

Desktop publishing is widespread nowadays and a number of packages are
used by astronomers, space scientists, engineers and technicians for
producing their papers, reports, etc., as well as their everyday mail
(typically Word, TeX, LaTeX, etc.). The motivations behind the choice of
a given package are various and not always rational (availability,
financial constraints, word-of-mouth recommendations).

There is in any event experience to be shared openly for the benefit of
everybody and it would certainly be useful to confront performance,
capabilities, as well as possible complementarities of the text
processing software packages that are presently most frequently used in
astronomy and space sciences.

Not only the point of view of the authors/writers or scientific editors
should matter here, but also the reasons behind the choices that a
number of publishers have already made.

Sessions will be organized in such a way that each of the parties will
be able to give their viewpoints on the advantages of specific packages,
the constraints they have to comply with, and the requirements they have
for further developments. We hope in addition to have exhibitions and
demonstrations.

The meeting will also aim at issuing recommendations for publishing
standards, as well as for compatibility and/or complementarity from the
software producers. A special session involving the editors of the major
scientific journals is being set up by James Lequeux
(aanda@frmeu51.bitnet).

If you are interested in attending this colloquium, please return the
registration form below as soon as possible and, in any case, BEFORE 15
JULY 1991.

Proceedings will be published and distributed free of charge to the
persons who will actually attend the meeting.

We must unfortunately point out that we are unable to cover your
expenses. There will be no registration fee, but meals will have to be
paid for individually. A list of hotels in Strasbourg follows in order
to allow you to make yourself the appropriate bookings. Because of the
chronic shortage of rooms in Strasbourg, we advise you to secure
immediately your accomodation in the city.

We would also appreciate if you could advertise this meeting as widely
as possible in your institution and through your electronic mailing
list. Please also feel free to send us your comments.

                                                    Yours sincerely,

                                                       Andre HECK.

                                                        May 1991.

                        DESKTOP  PUBLISHING

                in  ASTRONOMY  and  SPACE  SCIENCES

                        (1 - 3 October 1991)

                ===================================

                      Registration  Form

Name:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Address: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Country: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Telephone: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Telefax: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Telex: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

E-mail:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

     - will attend the meeting: YES/NO

     - would like to make a presentation: YES/NO

       Title:

       Need of: overhead projector (*)
                slide projector (*)
                video projector (*) (**)

An abstract of about 10 lines should be sent with the registration and
selected contributors will be expected to come to the meeting with a
camera-ready copy (and, if possible, a machine-readable file) of their
paper (10 A4 pages maximum).

Date . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Signature . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This form should be returned as soon as possible and, in any case,
BEFORE 15 JULY 1991 to:
                                           Dr. Andre HECK
                                           Observatoire Astronomique
                                           11, rue de l'Universite
                                           F-67000 Strasbourg
                                           France.

Additional information can be obtained by:
                                telephone: +33-88.35.82.22
                                    telex: 890506 starobs f
                                  telefax: +33-88.25.01.60
                              EARN/BITNET: HECK@FRCCSC21
                                 INTERNET: HECK@CCSMVS.U-STRASBG.FR

 (*) circle as appropriate
(**) only VHS PAL/SECAM standard available

PS - If you answer by e-mail, please send also a copy via normal mail
     to make sure we get your registration.

              A Few Hotels in Strasbourg
              --------------------------
     (Walking time to the Observatory indicated)

Hilton International ****           Phone: 88 37 10 10
Avenue Herrenschmidt                Fax:   88 36 83 27
67000 Strasbourg                           88 24 21 21
(25-30 min.)

Le Grand Hotel ****                 Phone: 88 32 46 90
12 Place de la Gare                 Fax:   88 32 16 50
67000 Strasbourg
(at railway station)
(35-40 min.)

Hotel Sofitel ****                  Phone:  88 32 99 30
Place St Pierre Le Jeune            Fax:    88 32 60 67
67000 Strasbourg
(close to town center)
(20-25 min.)

Hotel Cathedrale ***                Phone: 88 22 12 12
12 Place de la Cathedrale           Fax:   88 23 28 00
67000 Strasbourg
(next to the Cathedral)
(15-20 min.)

Hotel du Dragon ***                 Phone: 88 35 79 80
2 rue de l'Ecarlate                 Fax:   88 25 78 95
67000 Strasbourg
(25-30 min.)

Hotel Hannong ***                   Phone: 88 32 16 22
15 Rue du 22 Novembre               Fax:   88 22 63 87
67000 Strasbourg
(town center)
(20-25 min.)

Hotel Mercure ***                   Phone: 88 75 77 88
Rue Thomann                         Fax:   88 32 08 66
67000 Strasbourg
(close to town center)
(20-25 min.)

Holiday Inn ***                     Phone: 88 37 80 00
20 Place de Bordeaux                Fax:   88 37 07 04
67000 Strasbourg
(25-30 min.)

Novotel ***                         Phone:  88 22 10 99
Place des Halles                    Fax:    88 22 20 92
67000  Strasbourg
(close to town center)
(20-25 min.)

Hotel de l'Orangerie ***            Phone: 88 35 10 69
58 Allee de la Robertsau            Fax:   88 25 65 20
67000 Strasbourg
(10-15 min.)

Hotel des Princes ***               Phone: 88 61 55 19
33 Rue Geiler                       Fax:   88 41 10 92
67000 Strasbourg
(5-10 min.)

Hotel des Rohans ***                Phone: 88 32 85 11
17-19 Rue du Maroquin               Fax:   88 75 65 37
67000 Strasbourg
(near the Cathedral)
(15-20 min.)

Hotel Terminus ***                  Phone: 88 32 87 00
10 Place de la Gare                 Fax :  88 32 16 46
67000 Strasbourg
(at railway station)
(35-40 min.)

Hotel Union ***                     Phone: 88 32 70 41
8 Quai Kellermann                   Fax:   88 32 26 63
67000 Strasbourg
(close to town center)
(15-20 min.)

Hotel Arcade **                     Phone: 88 22 30 00
7 Route de Molsheim                 Fax:   88 75 65 31
67000 Strasbourg
(35-40 min.)

Hotel Carlton **                    Phone: 88 32 62 39
15 Place de la Gare                 Telex: 870624 Carlton F
67000 Strasbourg
(at railway station)
(35-40 min.)

Hotel de l'Esplanade **             Phone: 88 61 38 95
1 Boulevard Leblois                 Fax:   88 60 66 87
67000 Strasbourg
(next to the Observatory)

Hotel Gutenberg **                  Phone: 88 32 17 15
31 Rue des Serruriers               Fax:   88 75 76 67
67000 Strasbourg
(town center)
(20-25 min.)

Hotel Ibis **                       Phone: 88 22 14 99
Place des Halles                    Fax:   88 23 02 89
67000 Strasbourg
(close to town center)
(20-25 min.)

Hotel Kleber **                     Phone: 88 32 09 53
29 Place Kleber                     Fax:   88 32 50 41
67000 Strasbourg
(town center)
(15-20 min.)

Hotel de Paris **                   Phone: 88 32 15 50
13 Rue de la Mesange                Telex : 300121  F
67000 Strasbourg
(close to town center)
(15-20 min.)

Hotel Vendome **                    Phone: 88 32 45 23
19 Rue du Maire Kuss                Fax:   88 32 23 02
67000 Strasbourg
(near the railway station)
(35-40 min.)

Hotel Suisse **                     Phone: 88 35 22 11
4 Rue de la Rape                    Telex: 871319  F
67000 Strasbourg
(near the Cathedral)
(15-20 min.)

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest